FRESH LIVER

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
76/444

Re: FRESH LIVER

Post by 76/444 »

BlaineG wrote:
76/444 wrote:Toxins?

Yes,....Toxins in store bought liver. From animals fed and inoculated with all kinds of stuff to meet FDA standards for locked up creatures sold to the meat buying public,... are a HUGE problem. Ask any beef rancher how many shots are given every steer going to sale, to meet legal requirements.

But, those ,... Toxins,.... are in the entire body of those animals. If anyone thinks they are avoiding ,...Toxins,... by buying fillet mignon, or a nice big porter house to throw on the bar-b,.... you better think again!!! And not just beef either !!! You don't even want to know how chickens are processed !!!

Unless the Creator supplied natural food for us carnivores, lives in a man adulterated noxious environment,.... toxins are my last worry. But, then again,.... I have not fed myself meat out of a food store for decades and never think much about them anyway! 8)
Doesn't it occur to you that some people just don't like that stuff? :roll:

Did it occur to you some folks do? :roll: :roll: :roll:
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

jumbeaux wrote:I have debated posting on this topic but here goes: February 22, 1995 I went to my mom and dad's for lunch. Moma had cooked fried liver and onions in a thick gravy that only she could make. A big ole hot skillet of cornbread and some ice tea completed our lunch....my favorite meal.....only moma could cook it like this and it was always great....add to the fact that she and I were the only family members that would eat it....daddy had brisket and...? Well I spent about an hour eating and visiting and then headed to DFW for work. Moma cleaned up and headed to the beauty shop to get her hair done and daddy fired up the Troy built tiller and worked over his 1/2 acre garden. I got 90 miles down the road and the shop called to let me know that moma had been in an auto accident.....I turned around and headed home....couldn't get my dad or wife or brother on the phone. In alittle bit a co-worker called and I knew moma was gone from his voice....to his credit he and another co-worked meet me and one drove me back while the other followed in my truck....moma never knew what hit her so she didn't suffer.......lost daddy 13 months later to the day....cancer and a broken heart got him...I did not eat fried liver and onions for ten years....moma's baby sister finally cooked some and it was just like moma's.....guys my eyes are cloudy now so.....

jumbeaux

mine too
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

gimdandy wrote:Kansas Ed,
since I (and Charles too but wouldn't admit it :lol: ) love heart , tell me what scrapple is.I asked around but nobody I asked has heard of it.
I'm such a darn good shot, I'll never be able to try scrapple...! :roll: :wink: :lol:
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Scrapple = Pork Mush, rolled up, sliced thin and fried. Not bad at all.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Did it occur to you some folks do?
Absolutely, but almost everyone choose NOT to get bent out of shape about it :wink:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

BlaineG wrote:
Absolutely, but almost everyone choose NOT to get bent out of shape about it :wink:

Hey, guy, what can I say? Some folks get defensive when a friendly discussion turns personal,... while pretending tongue and cheek. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by 76/444 on Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

76/444 wrote:
BlaineG wrote:

Hey, guy, what can I say? Some folks get defensive when a friendly discussion turns personally,... while pretending tongue and cheek. :lol: :lol: :lol:
You.....You.....Dang Liver Eater..... :wink:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

BlaineG wrote:
76/444 wrote:
BlaineG wrote:

Hey, guy, what can I say? Some folks get defensive when a friendly discussion turns personal,... while pretending tongue and cheek. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yup.
slimster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by slimster »

Glad you two saw it in your hearts to stop scrappling before the head cheese decided to lock the thread. :lol: :lol:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

slimster wrote:Glad you two saw it in your hearts to stop scrappling before the head cheese decided to lock the thread. :lol: :lol:
Hey, no bile here. :wink:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Why of course Mikld is right. Who could forget the potatoes to go with the liver.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

76/444 wrote:Toxins?

Yes,....Toxins in store bought liver. From animals fed and inoculated with all kinds of stuff to meet FDA standards for locked up creatures sold to the meat buying public,... are a HUGE problem. Ask any beef rancher how many shots are given every steer going to sale, to meet legal requirements.

But, those ,... Toxins,.... are in the entire body of those animals. If anyone thinks they are avoiding ,...Toxins,... by buying fillet mignon, or a nice big porter house to throw on the bar-b,.... you better think again!!! And not just beef either !!! You don't even want to know how chickens are processed !!!

Unless the Creator supplied natural food for us carnivores, lives in a man adulterated noxious environment,.... toxins are my last worry. But, then again,.... I have not fed myself meat out of a food store for decades and never think much about them anyway! 8)
Actually, I was talking about toxins, as in "anything potentially harmful to the animal's body". There are many naturally occurring toxins that are filtered by an animals liver. It's simply one of the functions of that organ to filter the bad stuff out.

And what about the urea? A liver is basically a hunk of meat that has been marinated in bile and wee wee. I don't care how you slice it. Pardon the pun. :D But, you are absolutely right. It's probably safer to eat elk liver than it is to eat store-bought chicken.

BTW, I'll eat anything......even liver. But, I can think of thousands of better choices for me. I usually don't eat animal organs of any kind, aside from the occasional mess of chitlins. And, just like you liver eaters, it's good to me even though I know what it is! :wink:

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Well,... just color me stupid, would you mind sharing a few names of these..................

"There are many naturally occurring toxins that are filtered by an animals liver. It's simply one of the functions of that organ to filter the bad stuff out."
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Giant Liver Fluke and Brain Worms in Deer Liver.

That's enough for me to cross it off my list, even though it's "uncommon"..! Now, somebody will say, Hhhmmm..mmm...those Giant Liver Flukes are mighty tasty.. :shock:
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

"Liver-Eatin' " Johnson.

Fresh, warm, RAW liver...

MMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..!
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Well,... just color me stupid
Nope, ain't gonna say it...... :oops:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

BlaineG wrote:

When are you going to start contributing to the thread, instead of wasting space with your girlly little snide remarks?

Or, is that all you got?

Come on, name some natural toxins found in game liver that will hurt you if you eat it!!! Hell,... Name one!

My dear departed aunt, when dieing from cancer, felt she got months and months of extra time with her family from the high quantity and quality of iron from fresh wild game liver. My very first deer kill liver went to her many decades ago. She was a life long nurse,... with most of her final years of work in ICU. Her life long doctor friends and professional doctor fellow workers would have in no way condoned a diet of wild game liver if it had any toxins that would have hurt her, in her extreme delicate cancer state.

Now,...either someone has some facts to discuss on this subject, without all there phobic reactions to organ meat... or I'm done.
Last edited by 76/444 on Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Settle down, son. You're wound tighter than an eight-day clock.

Ain't nobody forcin' you to follow this thread.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

or I'm done.
Thanks be to glory when that happens...I ain't heard such a pissy little rant in ages....go cool down :oops:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

76/444 wrote:Well,... just color me stupid, would you mind sharing a few names of these..................

"There are many naturally occurring toxins that are filtered by an animals liver. It's simply one of the functions of that organ to filter the bad stuff out."
Hmmmmm...
Get out your favorite color crayons...

Clostridium botulinum bacteria produce botulinum toxin, which can cause paralysis.
Vibrio bacteria, once it's ingested, can produce a toxin that causes diarrhea, vomiting, and fever.
Many of the plants that deer and elk love contain canavanine (a toxin), ethyl carbamate (a tumorigen), allyl isothiocyanate (a carcinogen), psoralens (a mutagen), estragole (a carcinogen), ptaquiloside (a carcinogen), etc.

All of these toxic substances are naturally occurring. Thanks to the liver, these toxic substances are filtered out and generally released through the urine and feces. However over time, especially in older animals, the liver's effectiveness can diminish. This causes a build up of toxins in the tissue of the liver.

All that being said, there's nothing wrong with eating liver. If you like it, then eat it. It won't kill you, unless you eat it 3 times a day for 40 years. I just have a hard time not thinking about the above information long enough to enjoy eating it.

Ignorance is bliss. I used to love potted meat until I read the label. Nowadays, I still love it. I just have to think of something other than potted meat while I'm eating it. :D

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
rhead
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rhead »

Maybe I'm the only redneck who don't like liver, but liver is only fit for catfish bait, and I can't for the life of me understand why a catfish would eat that nasty trash.......Now, hearts, or gizzards almost anything else is ok.

Blaine: I must respectfully disagree with your opinion of liver. It is not fit for catfish bait. It will taint the flavor of the fish. It will probably also taint the water.

I always save any deer liver for friends that do like it. If everyone had the same taste it would be hard to find a parking place when we went to do it.
The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Bogie35 wrote:
76/444 wrote:Well,... just color me stupid, would you mind sharing a few names of these..................

Hmmmmm...
Get out your favorite color crayons...

Clostridium botulinum bacteria produce botulinum toxin, which can cause paralysis.
Vibrio bacteria, once it's ingested, can produce a toxin that causes diarrhea, vomiting, and fever.
Many of the plants that deer and elk love contain canavanine (a toxin), ethyl carbamate (a tumorigen), allyl isothiocyanate (a carcinogen), psoralens (a mutagen), estragole (a carcinogen), ptaquiloside (a carcinogen), etc.

All of these toxic substances are naturally occurring. Thanks to the liver, these toxic substances are filtered out and generally released through the urine and feces. However over time, especially in older animals, the liver's effectiveness can diminish. This causes a build up of toxins in the tissue of the liver.

All that being said, there's nothing wrong with eating liver. If you like it, then eat it. It won't kill you, unless you eat it 3 times a day for 40 years. I just have a hard time not thinking about the above information long enough to enjoy eating it.

Ignorance is bliss. I used to love potted meat until I read the label. Nowadays, I still love it. I just have to think of something other than potted meat while I'm eating it. :D

bogie
Clostridium botulinum bacteria

Botulism is a serious illness that causes flaccid paralysis of muscles. It is caused by a neurotoxin, generically called botulinum toxin, that is produced by the bacterium Clostridium botulinum. There are seven distinct neurotoxins (types A-G) that Clostridium botulinum produce, but types A, B, and E (rarely F) are the most common that produce the flaccid paralysis in humans. The other types mainly cause disease in animals. Most Clostridium species produce only one type of neurotoxin.

The recorded history of botulism begins in 1735, when the disease was first associated with German sausage (food-borne disease, or food poisoning after eating sausage). In 1870, a German physician by the name of Muller derived the name botulism from the Latin word for sausage. Clostridium botulinum bacteria were first isolated in 1895, and a neurotoxin that it produces was isolated in 1944 by Dr. Edward Schantz.

There are three main kinds of botulism, which are categorized by the way in which the disease is acquired:
* Food-borne botulism is caused by eating foods that contain the botulinum neurotoxin.
* Wound botulism is caused by neurotoxin produced from a wound that is infected with the bacteria Clostridium botulinum.
* Infant botulism occurs when an infant consumes the spores of the botulinum bacteria. The bacteria then grow in the intestines and release the neurotoxin.

Three other kinds of botulism have been described but are seen rarely. The first is adult intestinal colonization that is seen in older children and adults with abnormal bowels. Only rarely does intestinal infection with the Clostridium botulinum bacteria occur in adults. Typically, the adult form of this intestinal botulism is related to abdominal surgical procedures. The second kind (injection botulism) is seen in patients injected with inappropriately high amounts of therapeutic neurotoxin (for example, Botox, Dysport), while the third kind (inhalation botulism) has occurred in laboratory personnel who work with the neurotoxins. All of these six kinds of botulism are potentially fatal.
----------------------------------------------
Vibrio bacteria
Pathogenesis

While infection can occur via the fecal-oral route, ingestion of bacteria in raw or undercooked seafood, usually oysters, is the predominant cause the acute gastroenteritis caused by V. parahaemolyticus.[3] Wound infections also occur, but are less common than seafood-borne disease. The disease mechanism of V. parahaemolyticus infections has not been fully elucidated.[4] However, most clinical disease results from strains that carry either the thermostable direct hemolysin gene (tdh) or the tdh-related hemolysin gene (trh) or both genes.

Outbreaks tend to be concentrated along coastal regions during the summer and early fall when higher water temperatures favor higher levels of bacteria. Seafood most often implicated includes squid, mackerel, tuna, sardines, crab, shrimp, and bivalves like oysters and clams. The incubation period of ~24 hours is followed by explosive, watery diarrhea accompanied by nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps, and sometimes fever. Vibrio parahaemolyticus symptoms typically resolve with-in 72 hours, but can persist for up to 10 days in immunocompromised individuals. As the vast majority of cases of V. parahaemolyticus food infection are self-limiting, treatment is not typically necessary. In severe cases, fluid and electrolyte replacement is indicated.[2]

Additionally, swimming or working in affected areas can lead to infections of the eyes or ears [5] and open cuts and wounds. Following Hurricane Katrina, there were 22 vibrio wound infections 3 of which were caused by V. parahaemolyticus and 2 of these led to death.

Vibrio Bacteria a Bigger Threat to Swimmers than Sharks as Northern Waters Warm

One Vibrio species, Vibrio cholerae, is the pathogen that causes cholera. That species and others in the Vibrio genus are also well known as sources of food poisoning from eating raw seafood, especially oysters. Vibrio cholerae survive in fresh water, but most other Vibrio bacteria are found only in salt and brackish water where they pose the greatest threat of wound infections – especially in warmer water like the Gulf of Mexico.
---------------------------------------------------
Canavanine
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Chemical structure of L-(+)-(S)-canavanine
Chemical structure of arginine compared to canavanine

L-(+)-(S)-Canavanine is a non-proteinogenic amino acid of certain leguminous plants. It is structurally related to the proteinogenic amino acid, L-arginine. Canavanine is accumulated primarily in the seeds where it serves both as a defensive compound against herbivores and a vital source of nitrogen for the growing embryo. Organisms that consume it can mistakenly incorporate it into their own proteins in the place of arginine, thereby producing structurally aberrant proteins that may not function properly. Some specialized herbivores tolerate L-canavanine either because they metabolize it efficiently or avoid its incorporation into their own nascent proteins.

Dioclea megacarpa seeds contain high levels of canavanine. The beetle, Caryedes brasiliensis is able to tolerate this however as it has a modified arginine-tRNA synthetase. The beetle uses canavanine as a nitrogen source to synthesise its other amino acids to allow it to develop.[1]

Geographical Distribution:
* Caribbean
o Caribbean-TRP [1063] [1231] [1442] [1645]
* Central America [2156]
o Belize [1645]
o Costa Rica [1367]
o El Salvador [1645] [2156]
o Guatemala [1645]
o Honduras [1645]
o Panama [1224] [1243] [1467]
* South America [2285]
o Bolivia [1063]
o Brazil [1063] [1103] [1231] [1442]
o Colombia [1063] [1442]
o French Guiana [2285]
o Paraguay [1063] [1442]
o Peru [1063] [1442]
-----------------------------------------------------
Ethyl Carbamate

In the past several years much attention has been directed to ethyl carbamate (urethane), a compound suspected of being a mild carcinogen that may be naturally present in fermented foods as a consequence of the metabolic activity of microorganisms. Table 8-1 shows concentrations re- ported in wines by BATF in 1986 to 1987. The concern about ethyl carbamate may result in governmentally imposed limits and the testing and regulatory compliance that go with such limits.
Table 8-1.
Survey of Ethyl carbamate levels (�g/L) in commercial wines.
(BATF 1986-1987).
Product Range Average
U.S. Wines
Table 0 - 102 10
Port 7 - 254 93
Sherry 18 - 209 82
Imported Wines
Table 0 - 80 12
Port/Madiera 17 - 108 55
Sherry 23 - 82 62

Stevens and Ough (1993) and Ough (1993) reviewed several wine production factors influencing ethyl carbamate formation. Storage temperature is the single most important variable influencing the rate of formation, with wine type and pH having less effect. The concentrations of ethyl carbamate are proportional to the urea concentration during storage. Therefore, knowing the urea content and wine storage temperature allows for an estimation of the ethyl carbamate level that will be formed. The relationship between urea content and ethyl carbamate formation at 24°C (75.5F) was established by Ough (1993). Storage of wine at temperatures greater than 24°C (75.5F) with urea concentrations over 5 mg/L should be avoided.

--------------------------------------------------
Allyl isothiocyanate

Allyl isothiocyanate is the organosulfur compound with the formula CH2CHCH2NCS. This colorless oil is responsible for the pungent taste of mustard, horseradish, and wasabi. It is slightly soluble in water, but well soluble in most organic solvents.

[edit] Biosynthesis and biological functions

Allyl isothiocyanate comes from the seeds of black mustard (Brassica nigra) or brown Indian mustard (Brassica juncea). When these mustard seeds are broken, the enzyme myrosinase is released and acts on a glucosinolate known as sinigrin to give allyl isothiocyanate.

Allyl isothiocyanate serves the plant as a defense against herbivores; since it is harmful to the plant itself, it is stored in the harmless form of the glucosinolate, separate from the myrosinase enzyme. When an animal chews the plant, the allyl isothiocyanate is released, repelling the animal.
------------------------------------------
Psoralen

The psoralens are a family of chemicals made by many plants, but most prevalent in (and named after) the genus Psoralea, which includes celery, carrots, parsnips and turnips. Plants produce psoralens as natural pest defense, since it can stop some infections in their tracks and is also deadly to insects.

Psoralen (also called psoralene) is the parent compound in a family of natural products known as furocoumarins. It is structurally related to coumarin by the addition of a fused furan ring, and may be considered as a derivative of umbelliferone. Psoralen occurs naturally in the seeds of Psoralea corylifolia,.........

edit(Uses : This is valued in Chinese herbal medicine as a tonic remedy and is used to improve general vitality. It is also of value in the treatment of skin disorders, including vitiligo. Some caution should be employed when applying the herb externally.The one-seeded fruits are highly regarded as an aphrodisiac and tonic to the genital organs. The seed is anthelmintic, antibacterial, aphrodisiac, astringent, cardiac, cytotoxic, deobstruent, diaphoretic, diuretic, stimulant, stomachic and tonic.It is used in the treatment of febrile diseases, premature ejaculation, impotence, lower back pains, frequent urination, incontinence, bed wetting etc. The seed and fruit contain psoralen.).........continue

as well as in the common Fig, celery, parsley and West Indian satinwood. It is widely used in PUVA (=Psoralen +UVA) treatment for psoriasis, eczema, vitiligo, and Cutaneous T-cell Lymphoma. Although safe to mammals, it should be used with care since many furocoumarins are extremely toxic to fish, and some are indeed used in streams in Indonesia to catch fish.

An important use of psoralen is in PUVA treatment for skin problems such as psoriasis and (to a lesser extent) eczema and vitiligo. This takes advantage of the high UV absorbance of psoralen. The psoralen is applied first to sensitise the skin, then UVA light is applied to clean up the skin problem. Psoralen has also been recommended for treating alopecia. Psoralens are also used in photopheresis where they are mixed with the extracted leukocytes before UV radiation is applied.

Psoralen is a significant mutagen and is used for this purpose in molecular biology research.

Despite the photocarcinogenic properties of psoralen,[1] [2] It had been used as a tanning activator in sunscreens until 1996.[3] Psoralens are used in tanning accelerators, but users should keep in mind that psoralen increases your skin’s sensitivity to light. Some patients have even had severe skin loss after sunbathing with psoralen containing tanning activators.[1] Patients with lighter skin colour suffer four times as much from the melanoma-generating properties of psoralens than those with darker skin[3]
----------------------------------------------
Estragole

Estragole (p-allylanisole, methyl chavicol) is a natural organic compound. Its chemical structure consists of a benzene ring substituted with a methoxy group and a propenyl group. Estragole is a double-bond isomer of anethole. It is a colorless to pale yellow liquid. It is the primary constituent of essential oil of tarragon, making up 60–75% of the oil. It is also found in essential oils of basil (23–88%), pine oil, turpentine, fennel, anise (2%[1]), and Syzygium anisatum.

Estragole is used in perfumes and as a food additive for flavor. It is described in the flavors trade as "strong, sweet, tarragon"[citation needed].
[edit] Risks
Estragole is suspected to be carcinogenic and genotoxic, as is indicated by a report of the European Union[citation needed]. A reduction in consumption is thus recommended. Special care is also to be taken with infant nourishment, since many teas or tea-like beverages contain estragole [2][clarification needed].

-------------------
Last edited by 76/444 on Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

76/444 - That last post of yours is ridiculously long. :o You have stolen the Original Posters thread. Not a good thing to do. Time for you to start a new thread of your own and to get out of this one.

In the long run, who really gives a hoot about toxins.

Blaine - Quit teasing this guy. :) You're driving him round-the-bend!!! :lol:
ED
Yer never too old
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Modoc ED wrote:76/444 - That last post of yours is ridiculously long. :o You have stolen the Original Posters thread. Not a good thing to do. Time for you to start a new thread of your own and to get out of this one.

Hey, just trying to stay on topic and as Sgt. Friday so famously is quoted,..."Just the facts lady,... just give me the facts".

8)

edit,.... since it is too long for you, here is the my abbreviated version.

I personally can not find the relation of a danger to human life, in the consumption of Venison liver from "Toxins" found in food processing, wine fermentation, or found in oceanic flesh eating toxins, in seeds of plant not indigenous to the north American continent, seafood, or used in ancient Chinese herbal medicine and by modern medical science for skin ailments.

Is that better? 8)
Last edited by 76/444 on Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

No, it's not. You just don't get it I guess. You have stolen a thread. Get out and start your own or post on-topic to the original post. You have ruined this thread.
ED
Yer never too old
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Modoc ED wrote:No, it's not. You just don't get it I guess. You have stolen a thread. Get out and start your own or post on-topic to the original post. You have ruined this thread.
Could be Bear 45-70 is back..... :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

BlaineG wrote:
Modoc ED wrote:No, it's not. You just don't get it I guess. You have stolen a thread. Get out and start your own or post on-topic to the original post. You have ruined this thread.
Could be Bear 45-70 is back..... :lol:
Nawwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!! Even Bear was never this frivilous. :lol:
ED
Yer never too old
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Modoc ED wrote:76/444 - That last post of yours is ridiculously long. :o You have stolen the Original Posters thread. Not a good thing to do. Time for you to start a new thread of your own and to get out of this one.

Bogie 35 initiated a comment on toxins in liver. Something he seems to give a hoot about. I don't think his post stole the thread.

I posted in response to his post on toxins in liver. I don't think that stole the thread either.

Now,.... peeing and moaning off topic in someone's thread, seems more like stealing to me.
Are you sure your not getting confused? Are you really saying what you mean, and meaning what you say?

Lastly, to stay on topic,.... I like my liver without toxins! 8)
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Charles wrote:I don't eat ofal!
I guess that means you ans Blaine don't want a serving of my infamous Redneck Beef Haggis, or a good Steak and Kidney Pie. :lol:

You boys don't know what you are missing!! :D
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

deerwhacker444 wrote: You guys should start a club or something and make some t-shirts, "We eat the gut-pile"!

:wink: :wink:
What gunt pile?

On a buffalo, or deer you use everything except the grunt, sort of like using all the hog except the squeal.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Image Image
UNITE!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Doc Hudson wrote:
Charles wrote:I don't eat ofal!
I guess that means you ans Blaine don't want a serving of my infamous Redneck Beef Haggis, or a good Steak and Kidney Pie. :lol:

You boys don't know what you are missing!! :D
I would try it, never having done so...... I go by taste, not what might or might not be in it for the most part.....You should see some of the stuff I ate in Korea :mrgreen:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

crs wrote:. If I try it again, I will have to locate a flowing creek without any coons, coyotes, buzzards, skunks, otter, snakes, gators or such around. That does not sound much like Texas, does it? :D
If no clear, clean, varmint free creek is handy, try putting it in a bowl of water in the sink and leaving the water running just a trickle. it ought to serve the same purpose and give the same results. That is also the quickest and safest way to thaw frozen food.

Image Image
UNITE!
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:like Charles and BlaineG , I cant stand even the smell of it cooking.
That said, I have many friends who just love
it. Kinda like Joe and modern guns!!
If you like it, more power to you! Enjoy!! :D
My first wife was like that. The only time I got liver and onions at home was hen she was away on a business trip.

Image Image
UNITE!
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

BlaineG wrote:Scrapple = Pork Mush, rolled up, sliced thin and fried. Not bad at all.
You eat scrapple and turn your nose up at liver!?!?

That doens't make sense.

Image Image
UNITE!
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

BlaineG wrote:
76/444 wrote:
BlaineG wrote:

Hey, guy, what can I say? Some folks get defensive when a friendly discussion turns personally,... while pretending tongue and cheek. :lol: :lol: :lol:
REckon his real name might be John Johnson?

Image Image
UNITE!
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

76/444 wrote:
BlaineG wrote:

When are you going to start contributing to the thread, instead of wasting space with your girlly little snide remarks?

Or, is that all you got?

Come on, name some natural toxins found in game liver that will hurt you if you eat it!!! Hell,... Name one!

My dear departed aunt, when dieing from cancer, felt she got months and months of extra time with her family from the high quantity and quality of iron from fresh wild game liver. My very first deer kill liver went to her many decades ago. She was a life long nurse,... with most of her final years of work in ICU. Her life long doctor friends and professional doctor fellow workers would have in no way condoned a diet of wild game liver if it had any toxins that would have hurt her, in her extreme delicate cancer state.

Now,...either someone has some facts to discuss on this subject, without all there phobic reactions to organ meat... or I'm done.

When i was a kid, I was slightly anemic and Dr. Kendrick told my Mom to feed me lots of liver. It shocked the heck out of hem when i said gret to that prescription.

Image Image
UNITE!
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Hey Doc,

I'm up for some o' tha' Haggis...

Can't find any around these parts. And sheeps' stomachs are hard to come by...
Regards

Buck

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Hey, Doc......is this even close? Seems about right ingredient-wise, without the stomach. If not, what would you have in it.....NOT gonna mess with the sheep stomach only because it looks like a PITA to prepare that way....

Easy Pretend Haggis Recipe
Ingredients:

1 lb / 500 g ground lamb

7 oz / 200 g lamb's liver cut into very small pieces

4 fl oz / 125 ml water

1 finely chopped small onion

1 large egg

3/4 teaspoon salt

3/4 teaspoon black pepper

1/2 teaspoon sugar

1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

1/8 teaspoon ground cloves

1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg

6 oz / 175 g oats (preferably pinhead ones)

Method

•Grease a loaf tin or bowl suitable for the oven.
•Using a Food Processor, chop half of the lamb, the liver, onion, egg, salt, pepper, sugar, ginger, cloves, nutmeg and water until completely combined.
•Add all remaining ingredients, mixing thoroughly until everything is mixed together well.
•Put the mixture into the greased tin and flatten the top.
•Bake 45 - 55 minutes in a pre-heated oven (350°F / 180°C)
•The centre of the loaf should be firm when pressed.
•Leave in the tin for around 2 - 3 minutes to cool..
•Gently turn on to a serving plate and serve right away.

Serve with tatties and neeps, or use to stuff the chicken and serve with a whisky sauce.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV