OT: Remington Model 8

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

OT: Remington Model 8

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Bought my first one a few weeks ago, a much-used .30 Remington made in 1909. I think I mentioned before that it had a ring in the barrel about an inch from the muzzle, and I was concerned that it would be wildly inaccurate. No worries mate!
Here's a group using this load: 31.0 IMR3031, CCI 200, Rem brass and Hornady 160-grain Flex-tip bullet at an average speed of 2216, ES of 40 according to the Oehler:
Not only does this little rifle shoot sweetly, she gently pops the fired cases about two feet straight up, and drops them right on the bench.
Another genius design from the mind of John Moses Browning ....
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: Remington Model 8

Post by 2ndovc »

Sweet!

I've been chasing a Model 8 for years.

The first one I that caught my attention was a .35 Rem
that had a Lyman Alaskan scope in a side mount.

Unfortunately I didn't know what I was looking at and
didn't buy it.
Been looking for anoter good one ever since.

Looks like you have a super shooter there.

Did you make the brass from something else or luck into some
.30 Rem?

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jason: I simply called Huntington's and ordered a bag of 100 virgin R-P .30 Remington cases. They had them in stock.
Now I'll have to find an appropriate Lyman or Marble's tang sight ... :D
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Nice job & a real find.
If I find a Model 8 or 181 in 30 R, I won't pass one up this time. Several years ago I passed on one and the price was right, $150.00.
I want one to go with my 141 in 30 R.

Brass is available from Grafs or Midway. I just bought 100 cases this past Spring. I load and shoot cast bullets in my model 141 pump gun. I also have two boxes of factory Winchester Silver tips, which BTW will never be fired.

I am always on the look out for Remington 30 fodder, be it brass or factory rounds. The last box of Silver Tips I bought at a gun show for $6.00. One round was missing, I just happened to have a loose one at home to complete the box. At the Gun shows the collectors want $35.00 to $45.00 for a box of 20 factory Remington or Winchester.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

My Remington 81 just came today.It 's the
first one I ve owned but it won t be my last.
I was pleased with the condition of the rifle as it matched the description I was given of it to a tee.With a serial number in the 49000s it was made in the early part of 1949 close to the end of its production in 1950.Its condition is one of a gun that was well cared for, no burred screws,no extra scope mounting holes or dings in the metal and the finish is evenly smooth with a small bit of wear from being carried.Actually the bluing is better than some modern guns I ve seen after a season or two of hunting.Not bad for a 60 year old gun.I took the forend off and had a look at the takedown mechanism and it looks like it has never been used,tight as a drum.The only part of the gun that is worse for wear is the forestock,sometime in its history the 81 mustof been dropped on a rock or some other hard surface as there is a quater size gouge at the tip of the forend past the sling swivel.On further inspection there is a fine crack that needs to be repaired.The bore on the 81 is very nice and the cal is 35Rem ,"Pure Deer posion".I have Lyman tang sight coming for the 81 and that should
complete its vintage look.
I would love to know the history of this gun,how many Deer and Bear it has taken , how many owners has she had and did she finally get put aside when the forend was damaged and traded in on one of them new fangled guns.(Pics coming at a later date)
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

A Remington Mod. 8 just sold on the Marlin Owners Forum today. It was 35 Remington. I wish the interested parties here had seen it.

Bob in NE Indiana
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Um, Bob, I bought that one, too. I had originally set out to find an affordable .35 when I ended up with the .30. Will post when it arrives some time next week.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I had a nice one but traded it in on a Colt SAA. It was a fun rifle to shoot even though the action made a lot of noise. Texas Ranger Frank Hamer loved them. I might get another one some day. :)
"That'll Be The Day"
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

great rifles! I'd love to own one.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I'm another fan. I don't exactly know why. Noisy? At least it is a "manly" noise unlike the M16. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

The noise I'm talking about is the barrel recoiling back into the receiver.
"That'll Be The Day"
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

rangerider7 wrote:The noise I'm talking about is the barrel recoiling back into the receiver.
Aye! Had a Model 8 in .25 Remington many years ago. No recoil to speak of, but you could feel the barrel and action going through the entire operating cycle. Wish I still had it.
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Here's a photo of Captain Frank Hamer's engraved Model 8 Remington I took at the Texas Ranger Museum in Waco, Texas.

"That'll Be The Day"