Winchester 94 AE tang safety

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
flounderjig
Levergunner 1.0

Winchester 94 AE tang safety

Post by flounderjig »

I ran across a Winchester 94 AE at the local gun store this am. It has a tang safety and is in 30-30. Is this a good Winchester rifle? I know it is a newer model. Wood to metal fit was good. Had a nice trigger on it. They want $600 but pretty much every Winchester 94 I have seen in town or the coastal bend is priced about this dependent on shape. This gun looks new.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester 94 AE tang safety

Post by Modoc ED »

The Winchester 94AE is a decent rifle. It has all "steel" forged metal (receiver etc.) and is well made. Some do not like the tang safety but you can learn to live with it or try to find the parts to change it to the original "Half Cock" safety and get rid of the tang safety. $600.00 is high as far as I'm concerned for a post-64 Winchester. Around here, they go for between $400.00 to $500.00. I paid $395.00 for a .30-30 94AE a few month ago.
ED
Yer never too old
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

This is only my opinion but I will never buy a tang safty 94ae ever again. My last 94 was one and I had bad accuracy from it and tried everything to get to the bottom of it!
These were the last ones to be made before closure of the plant.
The other ae I had years ago was a cross bolt safety and shot very well indeed.

I hope I am wrong and only suffering from predjudice. It would be nice to be proven wrong!
Great handling gun though and once the trigger has been stoned.
Good luck.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

I think that may have been an issue with maybe just your rifle Nath. I have two of the 94AEs now and they are both accurate. Both of them will shoot inside two inches all day long and one of them will shoot inside 1&1/2" all day long if I do my part. That's not to say that the 94AE was the cream of the crop of all rifles but they are good, durable, overall accurate rifles and are well suited for most hunting situatiions.
ED
Yer never too old
TuPapito
Levergunner

Post by TuPapito »

I'll agree that $600 is pretty high for that rifle. Whittle them down to $400 and they'll have themselves a deal.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Thanks Modoc, my old cross bolt I remember printing 1 1/2" groups too :D

Mine was just a lemon I think, it's just upset me thats all.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Nath wrote:Thanks Modoc, my old cross bolt I remember printing 1 1/2" groups too :D

Mine was just a lemon I think, it's just upset me thats all.

Nath.
I hear ya Nath. It's always a bummer when we get a not so decent rifle. Upsets me too. Ya should of kept that old cross-bolt but then again, I'm famous for getting rid of perfectly good guns for not so great reasons too.
ED
Yer never too old
flounderjig
Levergunner 1.0

Post by flounderjig »

Thank you Gentlemen for your speedy reply. I slapped some money down and put it on layaway with hopes to use it to hunt in Jan. Will be shooting a old GC 168 gr. Lyman HP that belonged to my Father. Thanks again from the coastal bend.
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

Mine shoots really good! When I'm on stand I just cock the hammer and keep the safety on.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

with mine I have had issues with misfiring and I think I have fixed it with methods described on this site. Let us know if you have that problem and we'll guide you onward.

Oh, one thing I noticed about the tang safety (which I like) is, you can dry-fire it with the tang safety on, and the trigger functions but the hammer never touches the firing pin. So I think that means you can dry-fire it without hurting the firing pin.

Other safeties, when on, lock the trigger.

Correct me if I'm wrong about the risk to the firing pin.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

El Chivo wrote:with mine I have had issues with misfiring and I think I have fixed it with methods described on this site. Let us know if you have that problem and we'll guide you onward.

Oh, one thing I noticed about the tang safety (which I like) is, you can dry-fire it with the tang safety on, and the trigger functions but the hammer never touches the firing pin. So I think that means you can dry-fire it without hurting the firing pin.

Other safeties, when on, lock the trigger.

Correct me if I'm wrong about the risk to the firing pin.

But what of the safety parts themselves? When that hammer moves forward and it brought to a halt how much stress and strain does this put on the safety parts?
Just asking cos I don't know.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

The tang safty is in it self quite sturdy Joe, I did check for that after the time I left the darn thing on and made a loud CLICK that should of sent a bullet to a fox!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I have the tang safety and I like it - I would rather have it than not. Mine is very accurate in addition.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

I've learned to live with the tang safety idea, and yes, the parts are robust enough to serve the purpose when dry-firing...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Thanks for the info guys. I was just curious cos I've never had a good look at the tang safety parts.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

The tang safety alone would not put me off the gun, but the Angle-Eject feature would...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...