Marlin 336 vs. Winchester 94

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
flounderjig
Levergunner 1.0

Marlin 336 vs. Winchester 94

Post by flounderjig »

What are the pros and cons of either? Going to shoot lead and going to hunt. Put one of these on layaway today but can change my mind at anytime. To me the Winchester just looks good. I own a Marlin 1894C and love it. Any reply is appreciated.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Marlin 336 vs. Winchester 94

Post by madman4570 »

Really both are nice! Why not keep the Winnie and have one of each make!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

This usually gets interesting.

Some have problems getting microgroove Marlins to shoot lead well, some don't. They may take a little more tuning the load/bullet, but it can be done.

Both are fine guns, and will work well for general use. I prefer Winchesters for a couple of reasons. I feel they are a bit more user friendly for my uses, such as singly loading light loads while leaving the magazine loaded with regular loads. I've also had less reliabilty issues with Winchesters. I also prefer the looks of Winchesters.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If you're sure you want a scope, go with the Marlin.

If you're sure you want a receiver peep sight, then if you like the Williams that goes on the top (scope) holes of the Marlin, go with the Marlin so you don't have to D&T the Winchester.

If you like tang sights, either will do about the same.

If you like stock open sights or something you mount on the barrel dovetail, either will do.

The Marlins are also somewhat easier to disassemble and clean, and use more parts in common over the various models, I believe.

Both are great guns.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Every time this subject comes up I say the same thing. I have both and like both. I don't consider one better than the other, just slightly different in handling and feel. Both perform well and one is as accurate as the other.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

I had two new Marlins... but lost them in a boating accident. Dog gone guns all gone now. :wink:
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Hobie wrote:Every time this subject comes up I say the same thing. I have both and like both. I don't consider one better than the other, just slightly different in handling and feel. Both perform well and one is as accurate as the other.
To what Hobie said I'll add this, I like Winchester 94s a lot. I also like Marlins IF they have straight stocks. You see the Marlin pistol grip butt stock has a shape that hits me in the cheek bone every time I fire it. Two or three shots and I'm done with it. Yet I can shoot the straight grip stock all day long.

So, what you should do is find people at the range and comment to them that you are considering buying but don't know which. Ask them if they have a couple rounds to spare so you can try theirs. I've done this many times and never been turned down.
That way you'll get the idea of which you might like more without spending a bunch of cash up front.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

The primary advantage of the marlin is its ease with which it can be 'scoped. I've had 336's with both straight and pistol grip stocks, plus a couple of 94's in 44 mag. I had three of the infamous 'Marlin Jams' over the years and the 3rd will be my last one. My 30 WCF's will henceforth all be Winchesters and my pistol-caliber carbines will be late-model 92 clones.

I've heard it said that the marlins are stronger and/or shoot better. When comparing guns of the same vintage, I am convinced of neither. I prefer the Winchester's straight stock, lighter weight, top ejection and the way it carries in the hand. They changed the receiver profile, around the time the Angle Eject was introduced; and of course they added that darn safety button. Those guns just feel all wrong to me.

There are places however, where Marlin 'eats Winchester's lunch'. The discontinuance of W's lever actions has driven the price of used batty, and the Marlins are available in better variety of chamberings. The Marlins are also still being made and are in no danger of becoming extinct.

Personally, I'll take Winchester and pay a little premium for the privilege. I understand that some of you actually like the Marlins and I'm glad you do. There is already plenty of competition for used Winchesters of any vintage.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I have a couple of each, but I can make a comparison between my 336ER and my Model 94AE, both in .356Win.

Both of mine have 20" barrels and are easily capable of MOA accuracy. Both are D&T and both are scoped. No discernable difference in shooting capability.

The 336 is heavier. I'd call it a hunting rifle. The Model 94 is slim and light. It's a saddle gun.

Both have moving parts which seem to work perfectly.

IMO, other than the proprietary mechanics and the manufacturer logos, they are essentially "the same".

Six of one, Half-dozen of another.

Either one is a great lever-gun.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
flounderjig
Levergunner 1.0

Post by flounderjig »

Than you again Gentlemen. Alot to consider and I appreciate your input. I got the go from the better half this pm over dinner, out of course, and she was ok with a new rifle, so I think I will go with one Marlin for now and one Winchester like Senior Levergunner said. I like the sights on both and will use both for hunting. Thank you all again.
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

flounderjig wrote:Than you again Gentlemen. Alot to consider and I appreciate your input. I got the go from the better half this pm over dinner, out of course, and she was ok with a new rifle, so I think I will go with one Marlin for now and one Winchester like Senior Levergunner said. I like the sights on both and will use both for hunting. Thank you all again.
One of each? Now you're talking business! Since you're better half is such an agreeable and nice lady, you can let her use the one that you're not using at the moment (or vice versa). From time to time you can compare and evaluate the pro's and cons of each as your experiences mount up. It never hurts to have more than one levergun in the cabinet--and one of each brand is not a bad thing either. Down the road you may even want to add a Savage 99 to your collection, just because! :)
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I have 2 Marlin 336 30/30, one in 35 Rem, and one in 375 Win.

I have a pre 64 model 94, and a post model 94 in 30/30, and a XTR 94 in 38-55.

Asking me which do I prefer would be like asking me which one of my kids do I love the most. Their all different and they all have their strengths and weaknesses, and their own little quirks and my life is all the richer and more varied for having them all to enjoy.

Wm

P.S. I have that many not because I am a nut......rather they are a legacy received by me, protected and cherished by me, passed down by me to my children. Like the freedom they represent.

Hey you know that sounded pretty good......I gotta save that.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

hey flounderjig, I don't know where you live but if your close to central Pa I can let you have a session with a 99, a straight stocked marlin a pistol grip Marlin, a pre 64 winny 94 and a post 94, oh yeah and a 1886( a real gun). I'll just have to to tell MRS fordwannabe that it is all in the name of science and to help a poor underpriviledged guy out(she won't believe it and think I'm full of stuff but that's what I'll tell her)and it's not just an excuse to go to the gun range again.gotta let know though I have a canoeing trip coming up and you never know what can happen to leverguns when canoeing. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Ranch Dog
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ranch Dog »

I'm a Marlin nut and my dad is a Winchester nut. I clean all the rifles and I do not like cleaning the M94. A 336 is very easy. I don't think this has been mentioned. It is small potatoes but is still something that takes some learning!
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I've owned a Marlin 30AS, currently own a Marlin '94, and also a Winchester 92 (wife's).

I prefer Marlins due to the action, side eject and general feel, but I like Winchesters nearly as much. Kind of a Ford vs Chevy thing.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

jlchucker wrote:Re: Marlin 336 vs. Winchester 94
Down the road you may even want to add a Savage 99 to your collection, just because!
Don't forget a RUGER...! Oh yeah, and a Browning, and a Henry, and a Rossi, and.... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I prefer the Win94's due to the straight stock and their handling. I don't have an issue with the Marlins though. But I'm curious.....Been awhile since I've handled a 336, does it have the HUGE forearm that the 1894's have? If so, thats a good reason to avoid them, yuck!!

LK
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

L_Kilkenny wrote:I prefer the Win94's due to the straight stock and their handling. I don't have an issue with the Marlins though. But I'm curious.....Been awhile since I've handled a 336, does it have the HUGE forearm that the 1894's have? If so, thats a good reason to avoid them, yuck!!

LK
Yes, they still have the bulbous forearms. Ugly cumbersome things they are. That and the sharp comb on the stock chase me away from the Marlins.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
a357lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by a357lever »

i think the marlin has a smoother action if you want to scope it thats the one, if you want a smaller slightly handier carbine the 94 is the one.