Why bother with the 45-70?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Why bother with the 45-70?

Post by 86er »

Why do shooters keep messin' with this antiquated cartridge? It's rainbow-like trajectory does nothing to help a hunters odds. The Marlin fans can get a rifle in 444 caliber or 450 caliber - both more modern renditions from Marlin with more than enough energy for most all of North America's critters. Winchester fans can get a Timber Carbine in 444 or 450 Marlin too. Oh sure, you can jack up a 45-70 to get a little more velocity than the 450. Who needs it? Do you think the animals can tell the difference between 150 fps more or less? The 444 and 450 are more efficient with less powder. You don't have to worry about whether a 444 or 450 load is a Level I or II or III load, and suitable or not for your rifle. Oh - your 45-70 is an anvil for big game? Why not just use a 458 Win or a 450 N.E. in rifles intended for dangerous game instead of playing the wrong side of the margin with a less reliable lever gun for potential life/death situations? You love your lever gun and like the .458 diameter? Well the 45-90 does everything the 45-70 does better. Real 250 yard usable trajectory with 300 grain bullets at 2550 fps (OOooo, sounds like a 375 H&H). Heavy 450 grain bullets at 2125 fps (can you say 458 Winchester?). 500 + grain lead bullets for steel, targets and game with low pressure and easy on the brass. Show me the 45-70 that can keep up with these figures! Get modern or get real and use something intended for or fully capable of todays hunting and shooting conditions throughout the world.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Why bother with the 45-70?

Post by meanc »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Because it is better than the other two. Marlin 1895SS - handy package of power.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Here we go again ... :roll:

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Because you can't get one of those Johny come lately's in one of these. :D
Last edited by JReed on Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Cause they don't make either the 444 or 450 in an '86! And since I already have a 45-90 and 45-70 in '86's, it doesn't make sense to have anything else :lol:

"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Trying to stimulate the cortex again, eh, Joe?

I have a 45-90. I also have a 45-70. You can't have either. Neener, neener, neener. :mrgreen:
Old Law Dawg
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

they'll only come to that boy hollerin' wolf so many times. :roll:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Whit Spurzon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Whit Spurzon »

Cuz we ain't got any of those big Texas bulletproof Deer up here. :wink: :P

Of course living in a "blue" state we don't want to upset PETA so we use calibers like 45-70 cuz they just bounce off of Elk without hurting them. :roll:
"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves." -Will Rogers
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

:shock: :shock: :shock:
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

:lol: No comment!!! :D :D :D
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Because they don't make a .46-70...
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

+1 J Reed.Besides would seem a bit odd loading a 444 or 450 Marlin with ffg!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

My poor old .45-70 may not be able to take a cotton-tail at point-blank range, but it sure is pretty.

And shoots like this at 200yds. I keep tryin'.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

ImageImageImage
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

I got no use for a .45-70. The Army shoulda stuck with .50-70 ;)

Certified gun nut
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Boy oh boy Joe, don't you just like stirring the pot recently! :lol:

Jeremy hit it on the head. Because getting a fine old rifle in the ol' "Government" round is simply worth it in and of itself! :D
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

What's a 45-70? It's a joke, right?

NOBODY can stuff a .70 caliber bullet in a .45 case!
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Old Savage wrote:Because it is better than the other two. Marlin 1895SS - handy package of power.
+1
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Troublemaker...! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Oh Boy, :lol: I think its because of the guns legacy.This gun has been doing it for what 137 years.When someone grabs one of those guns I think many people take a little of that Historic feeling with them(this was the great buffalo gun)(Spanish-American War)etc.and they still use it in the M32??? Its, its History and whats its done and how we feel carrying it.Same could be said for the 30/30 or .45Colt.How about the .375 H&H??? which honestly never impressed me at all.(300 grains??not that big/2550fps not that fast,for 300 grains???Aint impressed?? (Almost everything I hear being shot with it it takes a few.)Here we Go! :lol: I had one and sold it for a .340 Weatherby which I think is more gun.Honestly if I am going after African Dangerous Game (and dont try my 45-70,more gun than a .375H%H :lol: )here we go! I will use a .460 Weatherby period. Brother has one and Honestly it dont kick that bad/maybe if your a smaller guy?? Anyone who carries a 45-70 is a good ole boy/a true Patriot and God Bless em! :D and yes I need a box of tissues. :oops: :lol:
Last edited by madman4570 on Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Cause it's cool! and other than this forum most of the guys I know and at my range have never seen one. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

Because they still make ammo.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
Ranch Dog
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ranch Dog »

Don't know what part of the Republic you are from 86er but it must be from one of our melting pot mega-cities! :oops:

Every rancher I know has at least two leverguns. One chambered in 30-30 and one in 45-70 Govt. There is no why to this! We don't feel the need to justify anything.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

This could tie in with the other topic about old or forgetten sayings "If it ain't broke don't fix it". :lol:
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

because this has been takin critters for well over 100 years. !

:twisted:
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Pathfinder09 wrote:because this has been takin critters for well over 100 years. !

:twisted:

Amen to that Brother! I got your back! Besides I would have to change my Author Name?? :o :shock:

madman375?????? :( NOT! :wink:
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Looks like somebody hacked into Joe's computer again, pretending to be Joe! :D

As for me, I like rainbow trajectories, original bullet weights and velocities in ancient cartridges. For that reason, if I had a .45-90, I wouldn't crank it up. Why do people like flatter trajectories? Probably so they can shoot further. Why do they want to shoot further? Why not just sneak up, or figure some way to ambush your game. It's a lot more fun. My boys wonder why I go down to the alfalfa field and spend days or weeks trying to sneak up within iron sight, 32-20 range of one particular groundhog that can see me coming 200 yards away, when I could just get a modern varmint rifle, set up in comfort on my deck, and pick them all off at 400 yards while nursing a coffee. I just shake my head and tell them that it would take all the fun out of it. If it was just about getting rid of groundhogs, I could dump poison down all their holes and be done with it. Now for anyone that is not convinced by this, then forget about the 444 Marlin, the .458 Win Mag or the .460 Rem Mag. Just get yourself a 50 BMG. Why do people shoot those .458 Win Mags anyway, what with their rainbow trajectories and inferior stopping power when the 50 BMG is available?
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

fordwannabe wrote: and other than this forum most of the guys I know and at my range have never seen one.
Seriously? :shock: :shock: :shock:

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Kirk, I think you are teaching your boys things it will take them years to figure out.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

adirondakjack wrote:I got no use for a .45-70. The Army shoulda stuck with .50-70 ;)

You've got that right. These darn itty-bitty bullets have been going crazy ever since some doofus made the switch from a good cartridge like the .50-70 to the .45-70. They went all crazy after that going to actual .30 caliber cartridges before moving to .224" cartridges! What in heaven's name is wrong with these people? If the .50-70 was good enough for Buffalo Bill and Nelson Story it for sure enough is good for me.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

KirkD, You are so dead on it makes me want to Hug ya! Also the way you shoot so well you are giving up nothing friend.I totally agree if I wanted to put out a bunch of Deer Lure/maybe some food/and sit in a tree where the poor little critters are helpless and then shoot them with a scoped rifle that I can see their eye lashes with the gun rested on the padded rifle rest,I will stay home and play the Cabelas Trophy Hunter game on my computer. :lol: Your my idol! :oops:
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Joe, you blasphemeth! 'Sides the 1886 was never offered in .444 or .450M. Those poor modern excuses for replacing the venerable .45-70 can't cut the mustard. In another 100 yrs both will be gone and forgotten, but the old tried and true .45-70 will still be around. :shock:

Of course, we are in agreement concerning the other old workhorse. Properly loaded, the .45-90 is a force to be reckoned with. :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Maybe Hobie is right on - 45/70 is a small bore.

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I can give a fairly simple answer. The .45-70 works, it is available almost anywhere, and it is easily reloaded with components available to almost anyone in almost any state. The .450 and .444 are cartridges I have trouble obtaining where I live, and the .458 is one that makes many clerks behind the counter look crosseyed when I ask for it. Can you find fault with my arguments?
If the .45-70 has such a bad trajectory, then why is it that so many shooters know how to make it hit at such long ranges. I am talking 1,000 yards and more. Heck, even the .308 with its fairly high speed bullet out of the M60 has a rainbow trajectory at the 1100 meter targets that we used to shoot at. I always hit the target, but used a 6 round burst to do it. Many .45-70 rifles will hit it with one shot. How much better can anyone ask for?
Joe, if I hadn't shot your '86 and didn't know that you love that rifle, I might think that you are serious about saying the .45-70 is not as good as many other cartridges. If you really don't like the .45-70 anymore, I'll give you a couple hundred bucks to take that '86 off your hands. :lol: :lol: :lol:
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I wouldn't mind getting an old Springfield 50-70.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Oh Heck Joe, I am still buying your book! "Pal" :D
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

KirkD wrote:I wouldn't mind getting an old Springfield 50-70.
I have been considering a .50-70 in a Shiloh Sharps for years but really started dreaming of the cartridge after reading about Nelson Story.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

JReed wrote:Because you can get one of those Johny come lately's in one of these. :D
+1

and because the 45-70 almost always equates to a lever action rifle in the minds of most guys AND this is a levergun forum. Besides, the .45-70 will handle any animal on this planet.

EDIT:

86er - Ya gotta be more careful how you insult people!! You said:

""The Marlin fans can get a rifle in 444 caliber or 450 caliber - both more modern renditions from Marlin with more than enough energy for most all of North America's critters.""

The .444 and .450 have more than enough umph to handle ANY animal found in North America and loaded with the right bullet and powder will again with enough umph handle any animal found on this planet.
ED
Yer never too old
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

:lol: I dunno Joe, if any one else spoke like that on here they would get kicked off :lol:

As KD said,,,, I mean why do some folk use piddly self bows to hunt with when they can have more effective modern bows? Because more ain't allways better thats why!

Any way on a hi jacking question, does any one know if ScotT got his 50-70?

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

WHY "BOTHER...?"

B E C A U S E.......!

I don't have to justify that to ANYONE...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Mike D. wrote:Joe, you blasphemeth! 'Sides the 1886 was never offered in .444 or .450M. Those poor modern excuses for replacing the venerable .45-70 can't cut the mustard. In another 100 yrs both will be gone and forgotten, but the old tried and true .45-70 will still be around. :shock:

Of course, we are in agreement concerning the other old workhorse. Properly loaded, the .45-90 is a force to be reckoned with. :D

Actually the historical 444 predates the adoption of the 45/70.......................

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell444Marlin.htm

"Starting in 1872, the Ordnance Department started conducting a series of tests in which they were evaluating a variety of centerfire black powder cartridges for possible adoption as the new military rifle round. Basically they were comparing straight-tapered cases to bottle-necked cases, in calibers from .40 through .45, with lead bullets weighing from 290 to 484 grains. A tremendous amount of shooting was performed, mapping the various trajectories, group sizes, penetration and wind drift out past 1000 yards. This work was summarized in the "Report of a Board of Ordnance Officers Convened Under Special Orders No. 107, Dated Adjutant General's Office, May 7, 1872, For the Purpose of Determining the Proper Caliber for Small Arms" (how's that for a title?), published in 1873. Ultimately, this research led to the adoption of the .45-70 as the standard cartridge for the 1873 Trapdoor Springfield rifle. However, it's interesting to note that as a part of this evaluation, the Ordnance Officers developed a cartridge (test fired in "Gun Number 15") with a straight-tapered 2.3" rimmed case, with a .430" diameter 365 grain bullet, that bore a remarkable resemblance to what would later be called the ".444 Marlin", differing only a few thousandths in certain key dimensions. While some have described the .444 Marlin as "a modern .45-70", the historical record shows that the basic concept behind the case design actually predates the adoption of the .45-70 as the official military cartridge!"
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

And the .458 won over the .429 back then, too :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

Old Savage wrote:Maybe Hobie is right on - 45/70 is a small bore.
Correct:
"In days past, "small-bore" referred to any calibre significantly less than .577" - :mrgreen:

http://www.rifleman.org.uk/index-31.html#
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Old Savage wrote:Because it is better than the other two. Marlin 1895SS - handy package of power.

Yeah! What Old Savage said! :)
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Old Savage wrote:Maybe Hobie is right on - 45/70 is a small bore.
yeah, right as rain. who in his right mind would want a smaller bore than that?
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

BlaineG wrote:And the .458 won over the .429 back then, too :wink:
And maybe there was just as much political, and, or, private business lobbying back then, that effected weapon contracts,... as much as today,... or maybe even more? :wink:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

76/444 wrote:
And maybe there was just as much political, and, or, private business lobbying back then, that effected weapon contracts,... as much as today,... or maybe even more? :wink:
I have several 45-70s and a .444........I can't see not having at least one of each.....I mean, after you're thru shooting buffs and elephants and stuff with the 45-70, you're still gonna need a squill gun :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

BlaineG wrote:
76/444 wrote:
I have several 45-70s and a .444........I can't see not having at least one of each.....I mean, after you're thru shooting buffs and elephants and stuff with the 45-70, you're still gonna need a squill gun :lol:

That SQUARELY hits the nail on the head. The Army was pressed for cash coming out of the late unpleasentness between the states, and Springfield was their pet as they had done the conversions of muskets and had tons of the trapdoor actions. Springfield went with the .45, while Remington favored the .50 (which predates it) in the much stronger rolling block. Only NYS stayed with the .50, as Remmie was a NY concern, but nearly the rest of the world went with the rolling block, and many of those were 50s.
It should be noted that More buffalo were taken with 50-70 than any other round, largely due to the availability of cheap or even free ammo available as surplus.

The only thing the .45 did a LITTLE better than the fifty was hit a huge target at TWO MILES, a feat never used in combat, but it made for impressive junk science at Sandy Hook.
Certified gun nut
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

As I have posted on another thread here, I am a strong believer in loading a caliber up to as close to its full potential as possible. I believe that all calibers should be shot with their heaviest projectile and as heavy a powder charge as the shooter can handle,... except for .22's..

Following that train of thought,... if I owned a 45/70, and loaded it accordingly, there would be nothing else on the market that would hold a candle to it in the power dept., in my opinion (except in trajectory specs) for very specific use.

But, in reality, most of the 45/70 shooters I have talked with down load for comfort. Which, in my opinion, defeats the need for a 45/70. If a particular caliber hurts too much to shoot at a comfort level that affords good consistent accuracy,.... I personally don't have a lot of use for it.

I would not have a 45/70 and load it down to a lesser caliber? I would rather have a lesser caliber and load it up to it's peak performance level? I like to shoot what I own without flinching at the thought of using it before I even take it out of the safe. For me, the 444 fits that bill. I like shooting it, all day long, without the side effects of something with more power than I personally will never need. On my last outing with the 444, I was burning through 1/2 steel plate at 75 yards,.... what more do I need?

This subject is always interesting to me,.... especially when documented facts are presented, compared to gut feelings.