OT - Best Single Pistol Powder Among Choices

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

OT - Best Single Pistol Powder Among Choices

Post by JohndeFresno »

Levergunners -
This looks like yet another rehash of the age old pistol powder question, but it is not. I need help in selecting the ONE BEST overall powder from among JUST THESE powders, below. I will then place an order, before the prices go up again. This is similar to a post requesting the best rifle powder among certain choices.

Reason: There is increasing pressure in our state to stop the direct purchase of ammunition; I want to stock just ONE powder for MOST of my future handgun loads.

Loads are for target and moderate hunting loads; I don't go for max loads that shoot up my firearms. Guns that I wish to cover with this one powder, as much as possible:
9mm Luger
.38/.357 (moderate, not +P loads)
.40 SW
.44 Magnum (and .44 Special range loads - around 900-1000 fps)
.45 ACP
Possibly .45 Colt in the future
Main focus is for the .44 Magnum (plinking and hunting) and the .45 ACP (defense)
I plan to spend most of my time at the range with the .44 Mag handgun.

Here is the list - notice that it does not include the rather limiting but hot powders like H-110 or Win 296. I have some hot loads but prefer to use only moderately high pressure loads:
AA powders? I use AA Nr 5 for a bear load
Bullseye (favorite for 45 ACP)
Unique (my favorite for .38, most .357 loads, .44 Mag / .44 Special power level loads)
AA Nr 5 (load of choice for 300 gr. .44 Mag revolver bear load)
Lil'Gun
Clays or Universal Clays - ??
Power Pistol
Win WSL
Win 231

I have not carefully researched some of these powders; I use a select few that work well for me; but good old Unique is what I use for most of my favorite loads from the list above. I am thinking that it is probably the best overall pistol powder for moderate and moderately warm loads of the above handguns. What do you think? Thank you in advance!
Last edited by JohndeFresno on Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT - Best Single Pistol Powder Among Choices

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I would choose unique as a single powder for your application.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

UNIQUE with 231 as a very close second.

I've used more of those two powders than every other brand and type of powder combined.
I've said it before that I can do everything I need to do with only three pistol powders: 231, Unique, and 2400. Truth is, I can do it all with Unique.

Unique is my suggestion.
However if push comes to shove, 231 / HP38 will do everything Unique with do. You just gotta be more careful.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Unique. It is what I got. It works for .32 to .45. One can do a lot worse than 900-1000 fps.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Great - your posts confirm my absolute first choice. Thank you, gents.

I'll see what else comes in, but it seems to me that, given the shooting experience of the posters above, I cannot go wrong with my all around favorite, and still the champ - Unique.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I have actually narrowed my powders down to just unique for my pistol cartridges. .
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

unique or 231
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

In your situation I'd buy THREE powders. Unique is fine, but Power Pistol is a little better IMHO. It produces better velocity per pressure and meters very nicely, aiding repeatability.

For the low end, Bullseye is hard to beat and goes a long way.

For the top end I use H110, but from your list, Lil Gun would be the "hot" load choice.

Figure out how much ya need (like maybe buy maybe 8lbs of BE, 8lbs of PP and a couple lbs of Lil Gun.)
Certified gun nut
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

Why I use Unique is it can loaded any gun I have ever owned with cast or jacket bullets .
I have use it in pistol from 380 to 45LC and in a rifle like 30 carb to 50-70 . If you get a
Lyman Cast Bullet Manual there is a Unique load for over 200 different cal in it . Sure
38/Bullseye , 357/2400 , 296/ 44 mag , ect , ect works good , but who need a different can
of powder for every gun and cal you have .

It is also a great shotgun powder also

There is a powder in every cal better suited for it , but this is the only powder I know
of you can you can load every cal under 1500 fps . It is not placement sensive so wads
are not needed and a few tenths of grain don't affect it accuracy . They say it dirty , well
it wipes off with a rag . All my rifle loads are under 15.0 grs which make it CHEAP and fun
shoot with a good accurate loads .

Here my little guide [ not in stone ]

Unique ...............up to 1200 fps
IMR 4227............1000 to 2000 fps
IMR 3031.............over 2000 fps

I've using these 3 powders for 30 yrs to load everything under the sun , whether it is plucking ,
hunting or target loads with great success .
Image..Image
Image......Image
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

tn gun runner wrote:Why I use Unique is it can loaded any gun I have ever owned with cast or jacket bullets...It is also a great shotgun powder also...They say it's dirty , well it wipes off with a rag...[SO TRUE - JohndeFresno]...
Unique ...............up to 1200 fps
IMR 4227............1000 to 2000 fps
IMR 3031.............over 2000 fps
[GREAT GUIDE! JohndeFresno]
Thanks, Gun Runner.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

adirondakjack wrote:In your situation I'd buy THREE powders. Unique is fine, but Power Pistol is a little better IMHO. It produces better velocity per pressure and meters very nicely, aiding repeatability...For the top end I use H110, but from your list, Lil Gun would be the "hot" load choice...Figure out how much ya need (like maybe buy maybe 8lbs of BE, 8lbs of PP and a couple lbs of Lil Gun.)
Good advice. I already have "enough" hot loads with H110, N-110, 296 and 2400, so I am now looking for medium power handloads in quantity to put away for target and general use.

I have heard about the relatively new Power Pistol but have never bought the stuff; it bears looking into more. For now, it's cheaper (and easier for storage) just to buy one type for most loads in a large quantity, which is my aim.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

You know, I'll offer a different opinion. I am no expert, unlike many of the people who have already responded, but I have come to really like AA #5 for all of my pistols -- 9mm, .38/.357 and .44 spl/mag. I can load it down for .357 and .44 mag for easy plinking loads; I can also use full power loads in it. Works great for 9mm and the Specials too. I find it to be cleaner that 2400 or AA #9 and extremely accurate, even with cowboy loads. Lastly, it just seems to dip/drop easily and consistently.
Last edited by alnitak on Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

There is over 200 different pistol and rifle cal in this book with a Unique load for all of them . Only Unique can do that . This book cost under $20 and is best money you will ever spend .

Image..Image
Image......Image
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

My favorite pistol powder is IMR800X, went looking for a cleaner powder for 357 a couple(closer to 3) decades ago and that's what was recommended to try by my reloading mentor. I've used it in 38 special to 454 and it works pretty well for all of them. While it's not the "best" for all of them, in 357 and 44 mags it doesn't give up much to any powder. Seeing as how it is just a bit slower than unique, I understand the recommendations of the others. I like it because it's much cleaner burning than unique, now if it would just meter as well. :roll:
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

FFFg. And, just in case you'se a'wonderin 'bout the best single rifle powder... that'd be FFg. Tho' some might argue on behalf of Swiss !-½.

But... if you're the sort that likes those one-size-fits-all, Goex "Cartridge" would be my "go to" powder.

Okay, my work is done here.

Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Griff wrote:FFFg...Okay, my work is done here...
:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

You know I have a pound of AA #5 on my shelf. I bought it sometime this year. And ..... I have NO idea why. I really don't. I don't like ball powders in revolvers so ....... what in the world was I planning on doing with it?

Maybe it will come to me.

Griff, that's funny! :lol: :lol: :lol: It really is.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

As I look at my shelves I see more Unique than all my other pistol powders combined and then multiplied by four :o

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

UNIQUE! Not only the best all around pistol powder, but a darn good shotgun powder, and a nice powder for old straight wall rifle cartridges in plinker loads.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I have settled on W231 as my 'zero to sixty' pistol powder because it meters better than the flake powders, it has proven kinder to bulk lead bullets than Universal and it has produced excellent accuracy in everything from .38 Special to .45 Colt. It also gives good economy and works well in the shorter auto pistol cases. If it weren't for the fact that I heavy load the .45 Colt, I could live quite happily with 231 as my only pistol powder.

About the only wart on W231 is that it can be a tad smoky with lead bullets. I like to think that somewhere, a tree-hugger cries every time I light one off.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I use Unique in all those except 9 & 40 as I don't load for those two. I also get good results with IMR4227 in .44mag. but it does not burn as clean.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

tn gun runner wrote:There is over 200 different pistol and rifle cal in this book with a Unique load for all of them . Only Unique can do that . This book cost under $20 and is best money you will ever spend .
Agreed - one of my first reloading books!
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Another vote for good ol' Unique. I've tried other "newest and bestest yet" powders in the past but keep coming back to Unique. It does a fine job for every pistol cartridge I load so I just stock the one kind now.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

FWIW Power Pistol has been around since 1984. It was originally a bulk-only powder called "Bullseye 84" because it looks (and meters) a lot like BE, but is a little slower than Unique. I stumbled into it when trying to replicate Corbon's excellent loads for .380 (best velocity within the pressure limits of any) and sure enough I got exactly the same results.

Then I tried it in "warm" .45 Colt loads, posted the data online, and a year or two later Speer came up with precisely the same load I did for their 250 grain Gold Dot, getting great results while sticking to SAAMI pressures for .45 Colt.

Then I used it in .45 ACP and C45S (same volume), up to and including some HOT .460 Rowland type Cowboy .45 Special loads for use in the modified Marlin (nearly 100% case capacity and 1400 fps with a 230). Shot one-hole groups with em.

I have U on hand, but I keep PP in stock as a standard item....
Certified gun nut
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

adirondakjack wrote:FWIW Power Pistol has been around since 1984. It was originally a bulk-only powder called "Bullseye 84" because it looks (and meters) a lot like BE, but is a little slower than Unique. I stumbled into it when trying to replicate Corbon's excellent loads for .380 (best velocity within the pressure limits of any) and sure enough I got exactly the same results.

Then I tried it in "warm" .45 Colt loads, posted the data online, and a year or two later Speer came up with precisely the same load I did for their 250 grain Gold Dot, getting great results while sticking to SAAMI pressures for .45 Colt.

Then I used it in .45 ACP and C45S (same volume), up to and including some HOT .460 Rowland type Cowboy .45 Special loads for use in the modified Marlin (nearly 100% case capacity and 1400 fps with a 230). Shot one-hole groups with em.

I have U on hand, but I keep PP in stock as a standard item....
Didn't know this stuff - good post, Jack.

Good posts, all - Thanx!