Calling all Cranks...Gun, but not LeverGun, question.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Calling all Cranks...Gun, but not LeverGun, question.

Post by mklwhite »

A friend at work recently purchased a H&R Survivor 308 (SB2-608).
He took it to the range. Shot it and the casing seemed a little stuck. No problem, he got it out and shot it again. This time he said the rifle "popped open". I believe it was on this shot the primer fell out of the casing when he pulled it out. (He was shooting some OTC ammo. Maybe WWB.) He was shocked. He thought he did something wrong and was very careful and shot it with similar results. He sent it in to H&R and when it came back it did it again (both break open and missing primer). He has since gotten it back. We carefully shot it over the weekend and the primer popout still happened. Still getting sticky extractions/case issues. Any thoughts?
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Calling all Cranks...Gun, but not LeverGun, question.

Post by Tycer »

I'd get another box of ammo and see if it still does it. Different brand.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

I checked with him and the results of the most recent round of shooting (last Sunday) involved a second box of ammo... But just the first shot or two and they didn't have any problems. I told him to shoot the new box and report back in if there are anymore problems. Thanks.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I have the same gun. Here is what I have learned from mine and advice of many others. For the sticky case the chambers can be a little ruff causing the fired case to stick. Easy fix is put a little Flitz on a fired case and spin it in the chamber to smooth it out a bit. As to the gun popping open the locking latch needs to be dry all the oil needs to be wiped off before firing or it will pop open.

What ammo is he shooting?

Here is a look at mine.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Oh I forgot to mention. The popped out primers are more then likely caused by the gun popping open while there is still pressure in the gun. Due to the action the primers should look slightly flattened after firing. The latch plate on the under lug of the barrel is what needs to be dried of all gun oil before firing along with the latch its self. I have had mine open a couple of times when I forget to wipe it dry.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
GARYV
Levergunner

Post by GARYV »

Hey guys -- if this was happening on your 336, you would be hollering about "head-space" and chamber dimentions. Look at the fired cases - any thing wierd? The primer popping out would worry the snot out of me (old reloader)!! A new rifle should shoot ANY brand name factory load without any of this happening. Sounds unsafe to shoot to me. Know any gunsmiths with a go-nogo head space gauge?

Good Shootin' & better hunting!!!
gary
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

No need to go all crazy with the gunsmith yet. Comparing these guns to a 336 is like comparing Mac trucks to Mopeds yeah they both shoot bullets but the design is completely different. Here is a forum with all you need to know about H&R's and NEF's. http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php?board=126.0 read the FAQ's and you will find the same fixes with better detail as I stated above.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Yep, JReed has it. I've got a couple of Handis and have to watch the latch when wiping everything down.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

JReed wrote: "Comparing these guns to a 336 is like comparing Mac trucks to Mopeds..."
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey Gunny, I like the custom paint job on your Moped! :wink:

Any 'yotes (livin', that is...) near where you're livin' now???

Cheers from the east.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Old No7 wrote:
JReed wrote: "Comparing these guns to a 336 is like comparing Mac trucks to Mopeds..."
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey Gunny, I like the custom paint job on your Moped! :wink:

Any 'yotes (livin', that is...) near where you're livin' now???

Cheers from the east.

Old No7
Yea there are a few but they stay on the posted property across the street and wont come out to play. :x :lol:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

JReed wrote: What ammo is he shooting?
I checked with him and it's been Winchester White Box from Wally World.
He said when he told H&R about the popping open they said to dremel the locking latch a bit to make sure it seated properly. To that he said NO. The first time he sent it in that was all they did to it from what he could gather from the repair sheet. Not sure what they did the second time.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

mklwhite wrote:
JReed wrote: What ammo is he shooting?
I checked with him and it's been Winchester White Box from Wally World.
He said when he told H&R about the popping open they said to dremel the locking latch a bit to make sure it seated properly. To that he said NO. The first time he sent it in that was all they did to it from what he could gather from the repair sheet. Not sure what they did the second time.
Ok I just wanted to make sure that he isn't shooting the Winchester 7.62X51 ball ammo. These guns arn't strong enough to handle a steady diet of those. As to the latch shelf if it isn't meeting up square the latch it can popp open when fired. To check just clean it dry then rub some chalk on the latch shelf close up the gun and then check it if square it should wear the chalk across the entire face if it wears more to one side then it needs to be stoned or lightly dremeled to get rid of the high spot. Costomer suport has been going threw some changes since Remington took over it used to be great before the take over
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis