OT- Is there a good way to shrink a holster?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

OT- Is there a good way to shrink a holster?

Post by rangerider7 »

A fellow hunter asked me today if I knew of a way to tighten up the holster he uses for a Colt SAA. I told him I have never tried it. I told him I would see if anybody on the forum had done this before. He doesn't want to discolor or harm the holster just shrink it a bit. I not sure it can be done without damaging the holster.
"That'll Be The Day"
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT- Is there a good way to shrink a holster?

Post by 20cows »

If it used to be tight and loosened with wear, I don't know of any fix for that except a tighter retaining strap.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

The problem is that leather does not shring evenly. If you try to shrink the holster, it will warp out of shape and become very brittle.

I'd suggest your friend get a quart or two of rubbing alcohol and pour them into a plastic or glass bowl/pan that will hold the holster and deep enough for it to be covered by the alcohol.

Allow the holster to soak in the alcohol until bubbles quit rising from the leather, this will take several minutes or more.

While the leather is soaking, let him absolutely saturate his six-gun with WD-40 or other moisture displacing spray lubricant.

When the holster is well soaked, remove it from the alcohol and let it drip dry for a few minutes. Then place the six-gun in the holster while it is still weat.

Press the wet leather against the six-gun, forming it to the weapon. Leave the six-gun in the holster until the holster dries thoroughly, this might take a couple of days.

This won't actually shrink the holster, but will form fit it to the gun to give it a snugger fit.

This process can be repeated at a later date when normal wear stretches the leather out of shape once again.

FWIW, you can do the same thing using water, but alcohol is much less likely to cause rust on his six-gun.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I have done what Doc described using water. I soaked the pistol, in this case a Ruger BH in oil, put it in a thin plastic bag and then put that in the wet holster. As the holster was drying I boned it, ( used an old tooth brush handle ) to form it to the Ruger.
That was over 30 years ago and the holster will still hold the gun properly. Occasionally I treat them with Lexol conditioner.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

Ha send it to my wife, she'll shrink anything, all my clothes are tight. I keep telling her Little Debbie had nothing to with it.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Could you run another line of stitching just inside the original line? The saddle shop or shoe-smith could do it, if not by hand or at home. I did it on one holster to tighten it up and it worked pretty good.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

86er wrote:Could you run another line of stitching just inside the original line? The saddle shop or shoe-smith could do it, if not by hand or at home. I did it on one holster to tighten it up and it worked pretty good.
86er you took the words right out of my mouth. Take it to a reputable upolstry shop or holster maker and have a stitch just inside the previous stitch. they may have to take the seem out and redo it. You didnt state if this is a modern holster or a old historic holster that could never be replaced.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Doc & Joe took the words right out of my mouth...

Grease the gun up real good...shove it into the scabbard & soak in a pale of water for a day. Pull it out of the pale & let dry for 24 hrs. Pull the gun & clean thoroughly. Hasn't harmed any sixgun I've done the deed to.

LeverBob