The all around Ranch Rifle?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

The all around Ranch Rifle?

Post by Old Savage »

You guys that have ranches???
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Don McDowell

Re: The all around Ranch Rifle?

Post by Don McDowell »

30-30,223,243,308, 45 colt,7x57.270...... Any and all will take care of the allround title.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

We tend to keep a 30-30 bouncing around in the truck. In fact, I sold one on the forum that we found when we cleaned out a truck to trade in. Totally forgot the rifle was in there. Don't matter what kind of rifle, in fact we've had a bolt action 30-30 as a truck gun. For the most part, the magazine tube is loaded but the chamber is empty. A lot of what you shoot spur-of-the-moment on the ranch is from the truck (it's legal here). Coyote, armadillo, bobcat, feral dog or cat. Sometimes a severely wounded animal, a snake or a big hog for the bbq. Much less often the rifle could be called to hold a trespasser or poacher until the 5-0 arrive. We've also used it to shoot a hole through a board in order to feed a chain through it, to shoot a lock off a gate when it just wouldn't open, and to reach up and swat a branch that fell across a feeder. The 30-30's we've used have been enough power, reliability, accuracy and low cost to get the job done and take the daily pounding of the ranch environment without worrying about the looks or value of them. We've also had some 308 Win rifles of assorted kind ride as a ranch rifle. Generally, they were more expensive bolt guns that we gave up on after some moderate cosmetic damage. Also, the bolt guns were much longer and often didn't fit well under the back seat. They are also a little long to manuever inside the truck and poke out the window when you need it quickly. The few semi auto's we've bounced around were not reliable because out of a case the bolt would inevitably part-cycle or they would get full of dirt and debris. The magazine sticking out was an issue too. What is very useful is a .22 LR revolver with some solids and a pair of shot loads. The 9 shot revolvers are great to keep in the glove box or in the door compartment.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Although most of mine is leased out... this one can take care of it all;

But, like Don sez... several other miscreants could do as well.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

I used to kinda like the .243 Winchester. I could shoot coyotes up close and far away, knock over any deer that stumbled in the way, kill any other vermin that needed killing, and shells could be picked-up at any drug store in town. Oh, and there was always a "taken for granted" 22LR riding above or behind the seat.
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Marlin 1894/44mag is what I have in the truck while doing fencing, shoeing, trimming or doctoring. Off the place is a different story. :wink:
Last edited by 76/444 on Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dave James
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dave James »

When the family had one out in western Kansas a 94 in 25-35 and a 92 in 25-20 served the purpose, but if I ws looking for one now I would lean toward the Ruger Ranch rifle in 30 Rusian
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Marlin 336C .35 Rem!
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

.30.30 Winchester or Marlin Lever guns . :wink:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Candidates (for a small Midwest goat/chicken farm with coyotes and feral cats & dogs the main players):

1. Ruger 10/22
2. Ruger Ranch Rifle
3. Marlin 1894 (.357 or .44)
4. Any Mauser bolt WW-I or WW-II era surplus gun
5. Marlin Guide Gun (or .444)

My favorite (plus, the only ones above which are legal for deer in IN) = 3
If it were Bear Country = 5
If it became Gangland = 2
If ammo gets any more expensive = 1
If I only had one levergun and didn't want it scratched up and so on = 4

...now, as to whether the 1894 would be in .357 or .44 or .45 Colt or .41 - or - how about a Puma...?
Last edited by AJMD429 on Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cowboykell »

Marlin 336 30-30
Behind every sucessful rancher is a wife with a job in town.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Peep sighted .44 Marlin Cowboy.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Out here on the frontier of N.M., it is a 1894 Marlin .44 mag. & and a 5.7 MM Johnson
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

'94 Winchester Trapper chambered for .44 Mag. That outa do in that nasty ranch dressing!
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

When I was a kid growing up on West Texas ranches in the 40's and 50's, the rifle in the truck was a 22 rimfire. The ranchers usualy had some kind of "deer rifle" in their home. The Winchester 94 and Savage 99 were popular deer rifles in those parts back then.

I have no notion what ranchers in 2009 tote in the pickups.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Charles wrote:I have no notion what ranchers in 2009 tote in the pickups.
A couple area farmers I know tote Semiauto AK's, SKS's, or AR-15's...

Of those three I'd pick the SKS - cheaper, magazine doesn't stick out too far, incredibly rugged, and not as 'controversial' (heaven forbid a citizen owning a gun that is 'military style' :roll: ). We sold our SKS to get a .22LR revolver, which we WILL likely shoot far more often, but that knockaround SKS was a good 'truck gun' candidate. In the old days you'd see the occasional M1 Carbine, SMLE or such doing duty as a 'truck gun' or 'combine gun', but now they're getting to be 'collector' guns, and potentially even safe queens.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Here's mine (.38-55) just after it did what a ranch gun is good for. :D

Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

How about a "1 in 1000 Winchester '73" ? ----- sorry couldnt resist- i just saw the flick last night

Around my little place, (10 acres) -- i generally have my Henry .22 close for targets of opportunity. I also keep a Rem 870 police cruiser type gun in case the coyotes are harassing my dogs late at night (they are big dogs -- i'm pretty sure the coyotes are using dog language to make fun of them for being domestic and behind a fence) -- 2 rounds of bird shot in the air and they usually disperse rapidly

I sometimes carry a Blackhawk when i am fartin' around on my tractor though -- again, mostly for fun time targets (rocks, sticks, whatever) --- the noise usually keeps the critters away
----- Doug
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

take your pick.
3-94s.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Folks that think a shortstroked 73 or slicked up Marlin are fast ought to try and keep the 5 rnd clips for the mini14 ranchrifle in .223 loaded for me when I get to running coyotes.
M1garand NM has a certain usefulness... :mrgreen:
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I use a 44-40 El Tigre. Any lever that is short and handy will work in a variety of calibers. It is also nice to be a bit banged up so you don't worry about it to much. :lol:

"That'll Be The Day"
Hank Dodge
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hank Dodge »

I've got a Winchester Trapper in .44 mag that has been my "truck gun" lately. I like that it is short and handy. I don't have much need to shoot at any great distance, so the factory sights and reasonable range of a .44 are just fine for me. I like that it has the ability to handle many situations by just changing the load the is being fed to it. I generally have an assortment of loads available ranging from 250 grain Keith thumpers to CCI shot cartridges and a few things in between. I also like that it is a "Cowboy" gun and it does not raise eyebrows the way an autoloader or scoped bolt action would. Overall a very handy little rifle in a very adaptable caliber.
"Shoot them big guns......you can see the holes better!"
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

At risk of being banned for life, I find myself carrying my AR15 (m4gery) as a truck gun more often than not. I keep a 5 round mag loaded with 60gr partitions and a 30 round mag loaded with xm193 handy.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

jeep95.jpg
Winchester '95 .30 Gov't '06 SRC. Loaded with 110 gr HPs it is a quick killer of 'yotes and other vermin..:D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Mike D. wrote:
jeep95.jpg
Winchester '95 .30 Gov't '06 SRC. Loaded with 110 gr HPs it is a quick killer of 'yotes and other vermin..:D

Very nice rifle you got there guy!!! :)

My ought6 is my open country go to arm, always has been, always will be,... don't need anything else, never will !
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

When I am riding, walking or working at the ranch, I have either my Winchester Trapper or Marlin CB 30-30 close by. I have used it as 86er described. It is not uncommon to have the oportunity to take an exotic (axis, fallow, red deer) while in the pasutre. I also carry my 4 5/8 Ruger single six for the small stuff.

TomF
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

When we had our little horse farm ( seems like a different lifetime now) The two that
were always close by were a Marlin 94P/ .44 and a Sako / .222 Rem.

My Grandfather had a large farm in Western Ohio and always had a 12 gage in the laundry room
and a Model 92 SRC in 25-20 for everything else.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Hank Dodge
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hank Dodge »

My grandad always had a single shot Winchester .22 out in the barn for the pests that came to bother the chickens or the garden. He had a Model '92 .32-20 in the truck for most anything else. He could hit anything that he could see with either of them. Funny how that's all he ever needed.......
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

2ndovc wrote:My Grandfather had a large farm in Western Ohio and always had a 12 gage in the laundry room...
Gosh, I thought Tide Extra Strength worked pretty well... :? :lol:

Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Don McDowell wrote:Folks that think a shortstroked 73 or slicked up Marlin are fast ought to try and keep the 5 rnd clips for the mini14 ranchrifle in .223 loaded for me when I get to running coyotes.
Much handier!

rafter-7
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rafter-7 »

carbine. saddle ring or eastern in 25/35 and no ranch wagon is complete with out a .22 rimfire handgun to smoke gophers with when you are sick and tired of mending fence. Go ahead and ask me how I know this :roll:

^
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Old Time Hunter wrote:
Don McDowell wrote:Folks that think a shortstroked 73 or slicked up Marlin are fast ought to try and keep the 5 rnd clips for the mini14 ranchrifle in .223 loaded for me when I get to running coyotes.
Much handier!

You really carry this rifle around doing ranch work?
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

You know what? Actually I did last week! Since it had a full clip and was sitt'n by the door, I threw it on the ATV. Drove a couple of miles to the other side of my property to work on a couple of stands. If I would have come across a yote or two, I'd have used it!
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Usually an old Marlin 30AW in .30 WCF rides in the truck but lately the little Marlin .357 has been my constant carry rifle. It's light and short and has enough punch for any critters I'm likely to encounter on the place.
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Old Time Hunter wrote:You know what? Actually I did last week! Since it had a full clip and was sitt'n by the door, I threw it on the ATV. Drove a couple of miles to the other side of my property to work on a couple of stands. If I would have come across a yote or two, I'd have used it!

WoW!!! A couple of miles,... how many sections do you own? What do you ranch?
OI phones in...
Levergunner 2.0

Post by OI phones in... »

The "truck gun" will be a Handi-Rifle with a .223 bbl & a .308 bbl... though if I know I'm going to be doing some "regular" shooting I'll throw the Rossi .357 in.
I'm away from my computer right now, but if you will leave a message, I still have my Geek Tools...

GOT GUN? Get T-Shirt!! Stand up & fight Prohibition!
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

The ranch I grew up playin' on (not mine) was a 25 section spread. But in that desert country, it would only run about 250 head.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

OTH, I know of several Ak's used as "ranch" rifles.
shdwlkr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by shdwlkr »

Where I am most of the old ranchers have 30-30's for close work and a much higher powered bolt action for long range use. Most also have some rather large caliber pistols just so you don't get stupid when you are within 20 feet.
I have seen some nice well worn 30-30's still working and have even found a few for me by talking with these gentlemen and what works and what doesn't.
Me I like my 30-30, .375, 45-70 all poke nice size holes and you don't need to shoot to many times to get the job done. I also like my pistols which range from the little 9mm up to 44 caliber. If I want to do some long range shooting I have my 257, 270 or 06 to get things done.
Now if we end up moving will be an all new game to see what is being used in the new area. Nope still will be out west as the eastern part of the country is just getting to citified for me.
In a free society the government doesn't fear its citizens
NRA Endowment member
DAV
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Anybody ever see those posters from prior to the NFA act, when Colt has promoting the Thompson as the ideal ranch rifle?
Hank Dodge
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hank Dodge »

Don McDowell wrote:Anybody ever see those posters from prior to the NFA act, when Colt has promoting the Thompson as the ideal ranch rifle?
I did see one of those once. I thought it was really funny from today's standpoint.......
:lol:

Now, I'd really love to own one of those Thompsons. It would look kinda' natural sitting across the seat on a WWII Willy's now wouldn't it.......... 8)
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

They're kinda neat, but god awful heavy, and so help me evertime I get one in my hands the first thought thru my lil pinhead is...." where's the closest bank?" :mrgreen:
Hank Dodge
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hank Dodge »

Don McDowell wrote:.......and so help me evertime I get one in my hands the first thought thru my lil pinhead is...." where's the closest bank?" :mrgreen:

Now, THAT'S FUNNY!!!!
:lol: :lol:
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Tie between a '92 in .357 loaded a bit hot or a .30-30; they both carry well on a horse, in a truck, or anywhere else. I'd like a levergun in .22 mag, but I'd have to find a heckuva deal on bulk ammo.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

South Fla has much heavier brush than out west. When I was growing up it was a 12 ga. single shot that was always kept in our tool box.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.