question for boot experts

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

question for boot experts

Post by jnyork »

I have an expensive pair of Cabela's hunting boots that have been with me for several years, but only used a few days each year. I think they are synthetic leather on the outside. What is the best product to use to preserve them and keep them from drying out and cracking? Thanks
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Re: question for boot experts

Post by stew71 »

I've had pretty good luck with Kiwi Camp Dry Mink Oil Paste over the years. Great stuff.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Nikwax is very good,The mink oil products work pretty good too, but on some leather boots it actually softens the leather so much that it can weaken the actual support of the boot.But on some boots it does work good though!

Boots ??---Just my opinion, but I am stuck on the Danner GTX 8" Strikers(non-zip) treat em yearly with the Nikwax Leather/Fabric spray ,good to go! But for all leather boots they carry the all paste too!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

OK, great, thanks. Where does a guy get the Nikwax?
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I use saddle soap on mine.
"That'll Be The Day"
Nate C.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nate C. »

If they are synthetic leather (i.e. rubber/plastic) as you say, you don't really need to oil them with mink oil or similar. Just wipe 'em clean.
Texas State Rifle Association http://www.tsra.com

Freemason. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

Gee I thought I was going to see something about cowboy boots ;)

My elephants have finally started cracking, probably 5 or 6 sets of new soles, but they will have their 25th anniversary on my feet in 2 weeks ... Can't afford to replace them, sure am going to miss them!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

jnyork wrote:OK, great, thanks. Where does a guy get the Nikwax?

Myself, I get it through REI (like $8) Now some of these guys on here know a heck of a lot more about leather goods than me, so I would definetly consider their recomendations.The guy that immediately comes to mind is rangerider7 Anyone that can keeep all those holsters and belts in tip top shape has a vote of mine to try their stuff! :mrgreen:

But anyway here is what's in Nikwax and how it works?

Many years ago, Nick Brown the inventor of Nikwax, developed and patented the Nikwax TX.10i water-repellent elastomer. The TX.10i elastomer was based on EVA, the same material found in the flexible soles of footwear. The patent also involved altering the molecular structure of mineral wax which is typically brittle. This strengthens the molecule making it very elastic and resilient. This TX.10i polymer was the primary active ingredient in all Nikwax footwear and fabric treatments.

Nikwax treatments coat fabric and leather fibres with a network of elastic TX.10i water-repellent molecules. They bond to anything that is not water-repellent, but leave the spaces between fibres open and breathable. Nikwax treatments can flex and move with the fabric and leather fibres. That is why Nikwax treatments can withstand several washings and remain whereas the competitors must be re-applied after each wash.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

most waxes are made of animal fats. That is the very thing removed from real leather in the tanning process. On synthetic leather, you want a coating that penetrates slightly and fills the major pores of the boots while not inhibiting the materials ability to breathe some. I think the best product for leather or synthetic boots is Sno-Seal, made with bees wax.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

madman4570, It's also a never ending job too! Saddle soap is for real leather.
"That'll Be The Day"
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

+1 for Sno-Seal.

Bob in NE Indiana
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige