Win. 97 help

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Win. 97 help

Post by shawn_c992001 »

I have a Win. 97 12ga takedown, made in 1907, that's dying to go to the dove fields tomorrow, but I can't get the magazine apart to put a plug in it. How does this thing come apart? I already have the two pieces apart.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Win. 97 help

Post by Gun Smith »

It's been about 50 years since I had one apart, but there should be two screws holding the magazine plug into the magazine tube and remove the locking pin in the plug. Removing them and pulling the plug out will allow you to insert a wood dowel into to tube inside the spring. I don't remember the length though. Allow two shells in the magazine with one in the chamber. The plug is under spring tension, so be careful removing the plug.
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hey there Shawn - There is a little spring loaded lever IN the pin that pushed through and allows you to uncrew the magazine tube. It has a hook in the end that prevents the pin from coming out. It may be hard to see, but by pushing it in with a small screwdriver will allow the pin removal. Then the two magazine cap screws. Again watch the spring tension. Hope this helps. Here is a good link. Best regards Wind.

http://stevespages.com/pdf/winchester_97.pdf
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

Hmmm, you forgot depress the dentent on the pin, other than that you did great, came right out!!! Thank you so much!!!

Thanks a bunch Wind, greatly appreciated!!!
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

Wow, that's a great take-down manual! That's going into favorites!
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.