Scout Scope Q

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Scout Scope Q

Post by 1894cfan »

I checked out Scout Scopes over at MidwayUSA and narrowed it down to 2 scopes, Burris and Leupold. Which one do you guys think is the better scope? TIA
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Re: Scout Scope Q

Post by jkbrea »

I have the Leupold and it works great. They also have a good warranty and customer service.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Thanks, jkbrea. I do have other Leupold scopes that I'm happy with, was just wondering if I really needed the focusing option on the Burris, and what others opinions were on these two.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I have three of the Leuopold scout scope and have found them to be
quite durable and very sharp and clear.
One is on my Marlin 450m and close to a thousand rounds later I have yet to adjust the zero.

I have an older fixed Burris that has held up quite well too.

As far as I know, both are well made optics.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'd go with the cheapest/best deal. Both are top notch, tho I've heard the Leupold might have the better customer service..... I personally have the Leupold Scout Scope and could not be happier.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BlaineG wrote:I'd go with the cheapest/best deal. Both are top notch, tho I've heard the Leupold might have the better customer service..... I personally have the Leupold Scout Scope and could not be happier.
I agree.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Thanks for all the opinions, guys. Have decided to go with the Leupold Scout Scope, even if it is a bit more expensive. Now to have a couple holes d&t'd to mount the XS Scout Rail. BTW, 94 is a 1977 vintage. 8)
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Sorry for no pics, guys, but I finally got my win 94 scout rifle back from the gunsmith and immediatly took it to the range to sight it in at 100yds. MAN AM I HAPPY with what I did to Pappy's old (1977 vintage, found in a crashed and partially burned airplane) 30/30!! :D
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

1894cfan wrote:Sorry for no pics, guys, but I finally got my win 94 scout rifle back from the gunsmith and immediatly took it to the range to sight it in at 100yds. MAN AM I HAPPY with what I did to Pappy's old (1977 vintage, found in a crashed and partially burned airplane) 30/30!! :D

Found in a crashed and partially burned airplane? Sounds like an interesting story in and of itself!
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Alan Wood wrote:
1894cfan wrote:Sorry for no pics, guys, but I finally got my win 94 scout rifle back from the gunsmith and immediatly took it to the range to sight it in at 100yds. MAN AM I HAPPY with what I did to Pappy's old (1977 vintage, found in a crashed and partially burned airplane) 30/30!! :D

Found in a crashed and partially burned airplane? Sounds like an interesting story in and of itself!

Yea, way back during the mid 50's to late 80's, my Dad had an aircraft salvage business going, and one of the planes he salvaged in the late 70's early 80's had a Win 94 30/30 in it that wasn't too badly damaged. He called the pilots widow and asked her if she wanted it back, and of course she said no you keep it. So he had a gunsmith go over it, re-blue and re-stock it. Did a really good job of it too with some really nice walnut wood, not anything real fancy but some nice grain patterns to it. By the time I got it, the original finish was getting a bit cracked and dried out, so I stripped and refinshed the wood with TrueOil and rubbed it down with 0000 steel wool. Not as pretty as a gloss finish, but still looks good. To me, a shiny scout rifle sticks out like a sore thumb. :wink:
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

1894cfan wrote:MAN AM I HAPPY with what I did to Pappy's old (1977 vintage, found in a crashed and partially burned airplane) 30/30!! :D
Now there's a statement you don't see everyday...
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
surveyor527
Levergunner

Post by surveyor527 »

Wow, I'm interested in doing this and would really like to see some close-up pictures. I have a Lyman peep on my 1957, it is better than the original sights but I guess getting older doesn't help. Before anyone squawks about "wrecking" a pre-64, she's been my hunting rifle since 1969 and I have really "used" her. I do have my dad's 1939 and it is pristine original. He parked it in 1985 at age 71, refused to tap it for a peep sight and just quit hunting. He passed in 2000 and it's been in my cabinet since then.
Forget about the danger.........think of the fun!
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

surveyor527;
If you go with the XS Scout mount, you're going to need the receiver above the barrel/chamber d&t'd for two mount holes. Other than that it's a straight do-it-yourself job, IF the rearsight dovetail is 4 inches in front of the receiver. Since I already had the '94 at the gunsmiths, I had him do all that for me. It cost me a bit over $100. HTH