Two more fox's

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Two more fox's

Post by Nath »

I have just got back and got these two
[img][img]http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o65/ ... oxs002.jpg[/img]
I used my Bsa Hornet
[img][img]http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o65/ ... oxs001.jpg[/img]
I was out first light on Sunday with the 94 and saw two but got no shots so with there being strong wind and it being mating season I had to try.
Any way I found these two and stalked them down in the strong wind. When I lit the first one up which happened to be the vixen she was about 30 yards over agate. I watched her role over and worked the bolt to try for the dog. He had come through the hedge onto my side and made me so took off. I followed him some three hundred yards not letting him wind me but he was sky lining me against them dam city lights in the night sky! Incidently when I'm up Scotland I will very often stand outside at night to just see the total darkness! Anyway I gave up-he had the up on me. As I went to collect the vixen blow me there is a third fox watching me! At 100yds could not aim with that wind but at 60 and sitting down I could and over he went, I could not understand why he let me get so close when he was so aware of me! It soon became clear-the vixen I shot had been hit front on to me but the little 40grn B tip had gone between her chest and right front leg. She had managed to recover a little and come into my side and then died, the dog fox was sitting down wind of her and did not want to move. She didn't look in season but must of been giving the boys the eye :wink: Man this place is crawling with them this year!
Any way I don't think I did to bad lamping and shooting on my own!
I just got back to the car when the sky lit up with lightening and thunder and heavy sleet and rain, phew that was lucky :)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Beautiful pelts, they look really healthy, nice job

Are you shooting them because they're a nuisance or just hunting?

I like that hat, where can I get me one like that?
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

A bit of both Deerwhacker, I am a hunter thats for sure and I like a challenge but also these fox have no preditors over here and they do take game birds and other ground birds. Yes they were healthy but thats because they are controlled some in my area not just by me, in other areas they are mangie and poor specimens because of over population and poor diet.
I was taught by the old world gamekeepers and they were vermin men with a capital V, Basicaly all preditors are on the list!
When I was a kid I remember hearing english partridge everywhere I went and hardly ever seeing a fox but now it's the other way around-no, I never hear or see a english partridge any more!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Nath,
Good shootin and good pictures as always. Those are really nice pelts. Is there anything you can do with them there?

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
45-70-
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 45-70- »

Nice job, again Nath. I am starting to refer to you as the English Fox Slayer. You should be careful, those crafty animals may put a bounty out on yer head.
I am a salty, old, retired Chief Petty Officer who is not impressed by much.

"We're surrounded, that simplifies our situation." Chesty Puller

Member of Marlin Firearms forum '02-'04
Member of Marlin Talk forum '04-?
Member of original Leverguns forum '04-'07
Member of new Leverguns forum '07-?
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Rusty, no body wants the pelts over here, Britain is full sheeple now and they don't like killing things (unless they are rats or wasps).
Had some bad news earlier, the game dealer won't take any more rabbit of me now because the red tape is getting to much. STUPID STINKING LOUSY COUNTRY!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Nice shooting Nath. Can't wait to get the go ahead from the new keeper on this estate. Although he has already shot nearly every fox in the county!! :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Outstanding Nath...you did yourself & us proud. All we have out here are yotes & soon to be wolves. A few foxes (haven't seen one out my way) would be nice.

Great post...

LeverBob
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Don't worry GP they will soon take up residence again, just make sure you have a camera with you :wink:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Outstanding!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

well done Nath, Love to hear your hunting stories
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
gon2shoot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gon2shoot »

Well done sir.
Much better looking animals than what I see.
grit yer teeth an pull the trigger
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Way to go Nath! very nice pictures and like the other boys have said, very nice pelts. Tell me, did you weigh them? The dog looks heavy and the vixen looks about "right", maybe 10-12 lbs. I could, and probably am wrong. I shot one years ago with a 33 Winchester and it weighed 18 lbs. The taxidermist told me it was the biggest one he ever seen.

Nice shootin' and tell us about your bolt gun.------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Well done Nath, thanks for posting.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

WOW Nath it would appear that you are on a mission to rid the UK of foxes. :wink: :D Nice work Sir.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Re: Two more fox's

Post by KirkD »

Nath wrote:... when I'm up Scotland I will very often stand outside at night to just see the total darkness!
Nice foxes! When I'm in the remote wilderness with my family, I will linger outside the tent at night just to enjoy the black velvet sky with a billion stars, untainted by even a single light from humanity. It is just so beautiful, I always have a hard time heading into the tent for the night. If I had to live in a civilized place like the UK, I'd definitely choose northern Scotland. Last spring when I flew into Edinburgh, I found myself looking north out of the plane window, wondering what those forests were like. The older I get, the more the wilderness seems like coming home for me. I may be coming down from Edinburgh, south through England, during the last week in February. Don't know what my schedule is like .... I'm not the one planning it, but there's sometimes time to get away for a quick coffee.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Well Nath, at least you don't have too much competition in the hunting department! Nice foxes!!! :D
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Dear Sixgun, I did not weigh these but they were fair weight specimens as in not small ones. The heaviest I took was a dog @ 23lb and it took three .222 rems to down it :shock: One up the @$$, one through the ribs and one through the neck! Case full of BLC-2 and a 50grn TNT! That was years ago.
Dear Kirk, my sentiments exactly Sir, you dam near choked me up. Keep in touch.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Nice shooting Nath! Its good to see a report from somewhere far away from where most of us are.