I saw an anvil welded this weekend.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

I saw an anvil welded this weekend.

Post by Gobblerforge »

Well now it's been done, and I'm darned proud to know the folks that did it. I just got back from the Southern Ohio Forge and Anvil [SOFA] annual Quad State Roundup. This an annual Blacksmiths conference that posted nearly a thousand registrants. You can read all about it at http://www.sofablacksmiths.org/. Well Friday nights have gotten, over the years, to have some great demonstrations. This year topped them all. These boys decided to forge weld a faceplate on a wrought iron anvil. They said that their research revealed that three times in recent years this was attempted but never achieved. They did a test run a week ago and had near perfect weld. This was verified with an end mill and some hours of fact finding. So Friday afternoon they got the fires going and by 8:00 they had the anvil up to over 2000 degrees. The short version of this process is to bring both the anvil's weld area [the top] and the steel plate to be welded to it, simultaneously up to over 2300 degrees. Now folks, there's a lot of btu's there, so don't touch. Then the anvil is brought out of the fire, wire brushed, fluxed, and set on a large metal block. As the anvil is getting to the block, the face plate is brought out of the fire and brushed and fluxed and placed on the top of the anvil, and if all is right in the world, it will stick together with welding blows from two or more strikers with sledges. Three times the attempt failed and with all tired and sweating they decided to try it a fourth and that was the ticket. A successful weld. Then a finish welding heat, then several shaping and flattening heats. And there it was, a welded anvil. The crowd cheered, handshakes were given and photos were taken and I'm proud to say that those folks that did that are friends of mine. Here's to ya boys. Well done. They did something that hasn't been done in a century or so. You probably won't hear about this on national news but I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up on the youtube.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
abcollector
Levergunner 2.0

Re: I saw an anvil welded this weekend.

Post by abcollector »

That must have been something to see! I would think they had to be using coal/coke in some type of closed furnace? Wow!

Not to long ago (about a year) I was plowing (grading) one of the roads on the ranch when the blade hit something (rear mounting three point about 10') that briefing stopped the tractor and then the blade humped up and then kept going. At first I thought just another large rock like the last few hundred til I looked back and saw this weird shaped object sticking up. I stopped the tractor and goes back to it still not sure what it is. It's covered in rust, lots of wet dirt and such, so I bump it with my toe and it didn't move. Boy, that's heavy! So I kinda start knocking some dirt off and low n behold, an ANVIL! I load her in the front end bucket and take it over to a hose and clean her up a bit. Anyway, long story short she has a face plate that was forge welded on also. Best find yet while grading. I think the weight would go around 110-120 lbs. I bet that ol girl could tell some storys!

Cool post Gobblerforge!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

that is just too KEWL
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

I haven't got a clue what you guys are talking about. :) I keg shoe my horses, so forging anything is not in my vocabulary. A pic would be worth a thousands words!! :wink:
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

I was not sure, either, although I've seen a little work on an anvil. So here is what I found about faceplates -
Click on:
http://www.blackironbill.com/node/15
http://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/f83/abo ... vils-7394/

Thanks for the story, Gobbleforge. The diversity of education and entertainment on this site is unparalleled!
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

major cool
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I've heard about welding face plates on anvils, but haven't seen it done. That'd be a job for sure and for certain. Anvil's weren't something you just went out and bought a new one if yours broke. They were expensive then and they're expensive now.
Old Law Dawg
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Youse Guys teach me something new every day 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Gobblerforge,
Interesting!
This is great as a spectator / participant sport......ANVIL SHOOTING
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_c0B00Ax3w&NR=1

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

My "anvil" such that I use it, is a 24" chunk of railroad rail. Works good for my pounding needs (but I'm not a metalworker).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

76/444 wrote:I haven't got a clue what you guys are talking about. :) I keg shoe my horses, so forging anything is not in my vocabulary. A pic would be worth a thousands words!! :wink:
Well a pic would have been nice but I would have had to have my camera. Ooops. On the plus side, I'm sure the pictures will be on the net soon. When I see one I'll try to post it.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

That must have been cool to watch.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

My Grandfather was a Blacksmith by trade, and I'm sure he would have loved to see that. Metalworking like that takes some real skill. Those men who welded the anvil have the right to be proud of what they accomplished.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
abcollector
Levergunner 2.0

Post by abcollector »

Gobblerforge, I hope you don't mind me posting a couple pictures of that anvil I ran into...er over would be more appropriate. If so pm me and I'll delete it.
This anvil has a forge welded face plate and is evident from the line that goes around it about 3/8" down from the top. I don't know a whole lot about this anvil, there are some faint markings on it and some numbers. I'm sure it could be cleaned up some more (I've thought about trying the electrolysis tank cleaning but haven't gone there yet). Maybe you could shed some light on it, Gobblerforge?

Anvils are "cool" and older ones are better!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Both anvils sound pretty cool to me!
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Nice anvil there AB and it's still in serviceable condition. If you get tired of it, I run a half way house for wayward anvils. :wink: You are correct that that line shows exactly where the steel faceplate was forge welded to the iron or soft steel body. Thanks for posting the pic. My recommendation would be to wire brush as much as you can stand and then coat it with oil. If you look at the side with the horn on your right, clean it, oil it, get a couple of pics with different angles of shadow, then I will be able to give you some info on it. Also any of the markings and the bottom. I have lots of anvil information. But without any info, I will guess that one a Hay-Budden from Brooklyn, N.Y. made somewhere around 1900. The one under it appears to be a newer cast anvil and thus shows no line. The face is hardened on the steel body.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I'm impressed. Not only do you need some good fires but great coordination and timing. I imagine that in the old days they did it enough that they had a higher success rate. Moving that much hot steel with several people is like a dance. Really neat.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Gobblerforge
Do you know about these anvils.
http://www.ratholeforge.com/
Thanks
Harry
Last edited by harry on Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

No WY, I can't say that I ever heard of them. But that just means I don't get out much. :D I read the web site and they sound of good construction but even the small one at 250 lbs. is too big for my taste.
Hobie. The boys at sofa said that a forging team could turn out 30 anvils a day. How many on a team, I don't know. 10? 20? How many hours in a day, I don't know? 10? 20?
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Way cool wish I could have seen that. One of these days I will get a proper anvil for right now I am just trying to make a decent forge.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Gobblerforge wrote:No WY, I can't say that I ever heard of them. But that just means I don't get out much. :D I read the web site and they sound of good construction but even the small one at 250 lbs. is too big for my taste.
Hobie. The boys at sofa said that a forging team could turn out 30 anvils a day. How many on a team, I don't know. 10? 20? How many hours in a day, I don't know? 10? 20?
Gobbler
I imagine it was a 12 hour day, maybe first light to dark. I'd like to find a 100-150 lb anvil but then I'd have to have a forge, etc. If I could convince my wife to move out to Mom's place I'd have a place for it in the garage, flue already in place for just such use (thanks Dad!).
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Finally got it on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA_Pw5mlf2U
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

:D
Sincerely,

Hobie

Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

Man that is great......I worked in a manufacturing shop for 31 years. We forged using pneumatic hammers from 300# to 2000#. I still miss watching those Chambersburg's work....

jumbeaux
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Dancin round the fire,

thanks for posting
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Thats awesome.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Now that was something else!!!!!

OK, now I want an anvil :P

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

That's really good stuff. Thanks