mod 94

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
two bit okie
Levergunner 2.0

mod 94

Post by two bit okie »

Sooooo, is the 94 dead and gone, new manufacturer, old manufacturer, what is the story?
shdwlkr
Levergunner 2.0

Re: mod 94

Post by shdwlkr »

Winchester makes special runs of the model 94 and the model 92 but they will never be a cataloged rifle again.
Mossberg is making a 464 that looks like the model 94 and they are working on doing some different things with it.
In a free society the government doesn't fear its citizens
NRA Endowment member
DAV
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

On page two and three of this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20722
DPris says they will be back next year.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Wishful thinking is my guess!
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

IMO the only way we'll get a decent '94 again is if Uberti builds it. And you don't know how bad it hurts me to say that.

Ed
shdwlkr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by shdwlkr »

The reason that the model 94 was stopped is the equipment was wore out, sales didn't justify the expense of continuing production. I have seen nothing to change this picture. If they do come back with the model 94 it will be built in Japan just like the limited runs are and the model 92.
No one on this side of the pond is going to spend that kind of money to retool a plant for sales that couldn't keep 100 people busy the last few years.
I could see them making a larger limited run each year if sales are there which from the size of the limited runs isn't there.
The only way you will see another run of the winchester model 94 by FN/browning is if Mossberg's model starts selling in the millions each year which it isn't.
I know many want to see the old winchester model 94 come back but I don't see it in a climate we may all loose our right to have firearms very soon if the HR bill 45 is passed by Congress and they have enough firearm haters there now to get the job done. So why would a company spend literally millions on a dead horse? Answer they won't and sales killed the model 94 and quality missing didn't help either.
NRA Endowment member
DAV
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

WELL...............I will have to disagree with You. The 94 ain't dead or gone. just do some looking around and I can bet You will find one of the several million made that will make You happy. they made some good ones in the late 1970's and the best ones before 1964.
Here is one on the leverguns classified that I can't believe is still for sale.And I don't think We will ever see this again unless UBERTI makes them.
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =2&t=20702
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

and isn't that design in the public domain by now? If so, anybody who's interested could make them as generic guns.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I guess that's why some folks are hoping Uberti will make them. Personally I doubt anyone other than Brownchester will do so. There is just so many of the originals around that it probably wouldn't be cost effective to work up the tooling and put them in production.

Personally though, I'd love to purchase a new 1894 Winchester made the way John Browning designed them. But I ain't gonna spend $1,000+++ dollars on one like Uberti charges for the 1860-66-73 rifles.
And I don't think I'm the only one.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

My apologies all, as of this afternoon I'm told it will be made in Japan.
Good news & bad.
Good news is that quality will be high.
Bad news is that the price most likely will be, too.

Denis
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Well fellows, We better get busy an buy um up while we can,
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

winchester1886
Levergunner 2.0

Post by winchester1886 »

The equivalent to the N R A in Australia is the Sporting Shooters Association of Australia, they did a feature article on the 94 just a few months back in their magazine and they stated that the 94 would be back soon, I think they are going to be made in the factory thay have in North or South Carolina.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

DPris wrote:My apologies all, as of this afternoon I'm told it will be made in Japan.
Good news & bad.
Good news is that quality will be high.
Bad news is that the price most likely will be, too.

Denis
If that is the case, the Winchester Mdl 94 IS dead. Let's just leave it that way and enjoy those we have.
I will not be buying one and I'll bet very few others will either.

Joe
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

Gday all
Didnt the Colt SAA go through this very same saga on more than one occasion. It survived and the 3rd generation are some of the finest, especially the 38/40, probably the finest of all the 38/40s of any generation.
Where theres smoke theres fire. Lets hope for the 94.
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Wherever it is made, Japan or the U.S., it will have the tang safety. For THAT reason I won't buy one.

Prices have come down on the guns since the run immediately after the plant closed. Those older guns go out the door fairly quickly. However, the shooters (not gun loonies) who come in to get one for their grandson/son/nephew shake their heads when they see either the prices or discover the non-availability of new guns. Most then buy either a Savage 110 type or Handi-rifle.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Frankly, even with the tang safety I would buy one... if it were a top eject. The ONLY way I'd be tempted otherwise, is if they actually make the Take-Down model that was introduced in the 2006 catalog. Otherwise, for my money, it IS dead.

But... then again, I resisted ordering one then, so I would likely resist any version of the AE, even a TD.

And I will enjoy the ones I have. Heck, I may even take that Bi-Centennial Commemorative in my safe that's NIB, unfired hunting. Even knowing, maybe especially, knowing there won't be a Tri-Centennial for Brownchester to celebrate. I'd sure hate to have Obama's ilk of a Gestapo come in and confiscate my hand-me-downs, without it being fired for function! Maybe I'll hunt up some Bi-Centennial ammo in case it happens in my lifetime. Really make a statement.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Love the tang safety - reminds me of my first shotgun, traditional and nostalgic upgrade. :)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Tang safety doesn't bother me all that much. Have one on my '86 XLR and on my '92. I reckon if they gotta, they gotta...

I DID take the hammer rebound feature out of both and reduced the mainspring accordingly. You just don't need that much push when you do away with the rebound arm of the hammer strut.

A new '94 with Angle Eject would be a complete waste of good materials & workmanship, IMNSHO.

Receiver contours should mimic the guns made in the '20s & '30s, so they feel right in the hand. 26" RIFLES should be offered, as well.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

I don't know if I'd buy another Model 94 or not. I've got several so I have no NEED. Now, WANT is a different matter that I'll have to confront when/if the Model 94 hits the market again.
ED
Yer never too old
shdwlkr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by shdwlkr »

I am gettting towards the end of my firearm purchases as I have all I want and anymore would never get used. Now if the model 94 comes back in an interesting caliber for me well I just might spend some hard come by money, but most likely will only pass as I do not really need another model 04 unless it comes with a 28 inch barrel then I just might have to have one.
My biggest worry right now is HR bill 45 that will end all of us having firearms period and then we are no longer free but subjects to a very dangerous group of individuals. Already signed my protest to this bill and just hope there are enough who are coming up for election next year that they won't dare touch this bill.
NRA Endowment member
DAV
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

I already own more than I need. However I could go for a nice model 92 short rfle, octogon barrel, case hardend with no safety in .357, and another twin in .256 win mag! Make it triplets with .218 bee. And also a real nice 94 in 25-35. It would make my life more complete.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

one of my 94's is an old src. 30w.c.f made in 1913. it needs redone. one day when i have the extra bucks, i'll have it refinnished to look like new. if you can find a rough pre64, this may be the way to go.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

shdwlkr wrote:Mossberg is making a 464 that looks like the model 94 and they are working on doing some different things with it.
Make it into a fully functioning firearm would be a nice touch.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1