OT - Ruger SR-556

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

OT - Ruger SR-556

Post by Griff »

Since I just got a hand-me-down Ruger 10-22 (only the 2nd .22 gun I've owned), and the new American Rifleman (Oct '09 issue), has a writeup on the new Ruger SR-556, and I've thought about a AR platform rifle, does anyone out there in "Levergunner Land" have any experience... even to fondle one of these new AR types from Ruger?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Hobie

Re: OT - Ruger SR-556

Post by Hobie »

I have coon-fingered one. I liked it. I wish I'd bought one rather than do the build I did but like a lot of people never expected them to get out in the market as quickly as they did. My dealer can sell 'em for about $1575 or so. Jeff Quinn has a review of one, I would say that he likes it.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I've not handled a SR-556, but, I've never seen a Ruger I was disappointed in, even the 96/xx family of leverguns traditionalists love to hate. The gas-piston AR system seems to take the best of the AR (modularity) and the best of the AK (ruggedness) and combine them.

OTOH, for the price of ONE SR-556, you could buy TWO DPMS's, or maybe THREE generics, and have lots more spare parts and flexibility.

I doubt any of us here on this forum will ever shoot a 'gas tube' AR enough to foul it up that badly that a thorough cleaning won't restore function. Maybe if in the military, I'd demand the 'gas piston' type, but for me as a hobbyist/hunter/home protection shooter, I'll take the lesser priced alternatives.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Kind of think they are too late to the market. Those that thought things would be where you couldn't buy an EBR, got one, and the market is saturated now. I would just buy a DPMS, or maybe a good used Colt and then get a piston upper, for less than the Ruger, if I wanted an EBR. If I wanted an EBR now, I would get a 450 Bushmaster rifle and then the piston upper, for the same $$$ as the Ruger. The large bore uppers are a blast to shoot :D
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Just saw that Para-Ordnance has also come out with a AR-style rifle. S&W did earlier as well. Looks like everyone who's anyone will have one in their line-up - just like the 1911.

I agree with AJ - if Ruger does it, it's gonna be good! :D
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

There's also an article in the "American Hunter" about using the platform in all kinds of different calibers. I think that may be the way to go. I'd like to do a little more investigation on the 6.8 SPC myself. I looks like a semiauto .270 for the most part.
I think I also read some time back about a .280 Remington in one.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

There's a guy over on MarlinOwners who recently bought one.

Says it's got a tight chamber and doesn't like the reloads he's been using to break it in.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

FWiedner wrote:There's a guy over on MarlinOwners who recently bought one.

Says it's got a tight chamber and doesn't like the reloads he's been using to break it in.

How did it do with FACTORY ammo? I say that because as a long-time handloader/reloader I know that often faults with otherwise good guns can be traced to improperly prepared reloads.

The two that have come through our shop have very satisfied owners both of whom are "professionals" of one kind or another.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

I have seen and handled though not fired one, it was in the rack along with S&W Colt Bushmaster AR type rifles. In comparison, I liked it better than the others as far as feel, sight picture, was concerned. Guess I'm just not a AR type guy though, I would have bought the Ruger Mini-14 they had over any of them. I know their not as accurate, I just prefer the more traditional style.
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

I love mine. I have several ARs, from several gun makers, but the Ruger is enough different that it will stay here. The price ain't really bad, with them selling in the $1400 range. For that, you get some good accessories, like the Troy sights and quad-rail handguard. The piston offers a lot of versatility. The American Rifleman review had a couple of mistakes. Look here for more details, and a short video:
http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-SR556.htm

Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Hobie wrote:
FWiedner wrote:There's a guy over on MarlinOwners who recently bought one.

How did it do with FACTORY ammo? I say that because as a long-time handloader/reloader I know that often faults with otherwise good guns can be traced to improperly prepared reloads.

The two that have come through our shop have very satisfied owners both of whom are "professionals" of one kind or another.
He apparently didn't take any factory ammo with him on that trip to the range.

He did mention that he was going to buy some and try it.

Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

[quote="Hobie"]I have coon-fingered one. :lol: :o Now there's a saying I have never heard b4!!
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

ceb wrote:Guess I'm just not a AR type guy though, I would have bought the Ruger Mini-14 they had over any of them. I know their not as accurate, I just prefer the more traditional style.
I believe an outfit called Accuracy Rifle Systems (and probably many others) will re-barrel Mini-14's with a heavy or even 'bull' barrel of your choice, put on a different gas port and op-rod if needed, and bed it to guarantee < 1.0 MOA.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

And the winner of "last to the AR party" is officially ... Winchester. Unless you count their parent FN ... then they can claim to have been in the game for quite a while.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:And the winner of "last to the AR party" is officially ... Winchester. Unless you count their parent FN ... then they can claim to have been in the game for quite a while.
serious? Geez -- when will it end. I thought the Ruger was a bad idea too until i saw it came stock with Troy sights --- the piston system is different enough that some guys will "have to have it" also.

The Ruger is cool, but i personally would prefer a Colt 6920 and a case of ammo. 6920 Colts can be had now for $1150-1200. I am not a Delta Force "operator" or anything (Delta Farce maybe) and will likely always keep my rifles clean enough that the benefits of the piston system over the gas impingement system will never be realized.

----- Doug
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Didn't take Ruger long to adapt the line! :D

http://www.gunreports.com/news/long_gun ... :&st=email

Sturm, Ruger Introduces New SR-22 AR-Style Rifle
September 21, 2009
GunReports.com

SOUTHPORT, Conn. -- Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc. has joined the ranks of manufacturers who are making AR-style rimfire rifles.

The Ruger SR-22TM Rifle is an autoloading rimfire rifle that uses 10/22-style magazines on the new AR-style Ruger SR-556 platform. The new SR-22 Rifle allows shooters to use economical .22 LR ammunition, while still enjoying the look and feel of an “AR.”

The SR-22 Rifle uses a standard 10/22 action inside an all-aluminum chassis that replicates the AR-platform dimensions between the sighting plane, buttstock height, and grip.

The SR-22 Rifle provides a Picatinny rail optic mount, and includes a six-position, telescoping M4-style buttstock (on a Mil-Spec diameter tube), plus a Hogue Monogrip pistol grip. Buttstocks and grips may be swapped out for any AR-style compatible option.

The SR-22 Rifle is equipped with a cold hammer forged alloy steel barrel that is 16-1/8” long and is capped with an SR-556/Mini-14 flash suppressor mounted with a ½”-28 thread.

The SR-22 Rifle also features a round, mid-length handguard mounted on a standard-thread AR-style barrel nut. Picatinny rails, specifically designed for this handguard, are available from Ruger, allowing the handguard to be configured to accept any number of rail-mounted sights or accessories. A barrel support block is installed in the handguard.
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

More details and pictures on that SR-22 Rifle here:
http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-SR22.htm

This is the best part:

Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

3leggedturtle wrote:
Hobie wrote:I have coon-fingered one. :lol: :o Now there's a saying I have never heard b4!!
It is something I used to hear when I was a kid in Appalachian Kentucky. I had quit using the term before I turned 18 because we had moved to a place where it was thought "backwards". Then I was on another board and the term was used there. Made me feel at home...
Sincerely,

Hobie

Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

I handled one today. It looked nice and I'd love to try one out. However, the mid-length, H-bar, 1/7 chrome, CAR flattop I built (had built, a little of both)was about half of the price(pre-BHO, but only just) I looked at on the Ruger. Even after flip up sights and the scope were added to mine. Mine isn't piston, but still.

I think they are gonna have trouble selling the quantities they want as supplies of ARs are catching up to demand and prices are coming back down. I wish Ruger good luck with it but I'm afraid it's gonna flop at that price.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Hobie wrote:
3leggedturtle wrote:
Hobie wrote:I have coon-fingered one. :lol: :o Now there's a saying I have never heard b4!!
It is something I used to hear when I was a kid in Appalachian Kentucky. I had quit using the term before I turned 18 because we had moved to a place where it was thought "backwards". Then I was on another board and the term was used there. Made me feel at home...
PC run amok. If you've ever seen a raccoon hold something, especially something it is eating, it tends to move it around and around rather quickly. That's where the phrase comes from, but some folks get bent out of shape thinking it is a racial slur... :roll:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Jeff Quinn wrote:More details and pictures on that SR-22 Rifle here:
http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-SR22.htm

This is the best part:

WOW! Looks and performance!!! 8) :mrgreen: :D
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:PC run amok. If you've ever seen a raccoon hold something, especially something it is eating, it tends to move it around and around rather quickly. That's where the phrase comes from, but some folks get bent out of shape thinking it is a racial slur... :roll:
Yep - the first thing I thought of was the way raccoons kind of look like blind piano players as they look absentmindely away while sort of 'patting' whatever they're examining.

Of course our race-obsessed PC-philes will turn anything into a 'racist' thing... :evil:

a357lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by a357lever »

yet another company remaking the little m16 cousins for more and more cost thanks ruger more expensive is better, make a 1911 for $2000.00 you will be right on track.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I've seen and handled the new Rugers. A buddy of mine has shot his extensively and he likes it. Another buddy of mine sells black rifles like Carter sells liver pills and he tells me he sells 10-15 Colts for every Ruger. I bought a Colt (LE6940) earlier in the year and after several thousand rounds, I have yet to have a failure to feed or fire. I might add that most of the ammo fired was my handloads.

Colt has been making AR/M-16/M-4 since the early sixties. Ruger just started.

A gas piston in a AR platform rifle is a solution to a non-existent problem. Just ask our military guys.-----------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Hobie wrote:I have coon-fingered one. I liked it. I wish I'd bought one rather than do the build I did but like a lot of people never expected them to get out in the market as quickly as they did. My dealer can sell 'em for about $1575 or so. Jeff Quinn has a review of one, I would say that he likes it.
They also had a veritable orgy over the Colt .22 LR AR.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Thunder50 wrote:Kind of think they are too late to the market. Those that thought things would be where you couldn't buy an EBR, got one, and the market is saturated now.
That's what I was thinking when I was looking at the pricetag on a Remington R-25 the other day; no way I'm giving $1500 for that thing; I'll buy one right before Christmas when people need money.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1