OT: old Colt 1911

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Goat
Levergunner 2.0

OT: old Colt 1911

Post by Goat »

I have in my possesion a Colt 1911 that belonged to my wife's paternal grandfather. I was curious if anyone here could help me learn more about it. It is marked on the slide "COLT AUTOMATIC CALIBRE .45" with the colt rampart behind it. On the frame it is marked "GOVERNMENT MODEL" The serial # is C132XXX. The other side of the slide is marked "COLT'S PT.F.A. MFG. CO. HARTFORD, CT. U.S.A." The back of the grip frame is straight. The entire gun has a brown patina and a light freckling of rust.the wooden grips appear original and have no cracks or gouges. There is also a ring on the bottom of the grip that I assume is for a lanyard. Overall the gun is tight and functions as it should. What can you tell me about this piece of my wife's family history?
Goat
"To know HIM and make HIM known"
Hobie

Re: OT: old Colt 1911

Post by Hobie »

Sounds like a Model of 1911 commercial model. Photos would help verify those stocks as original... According to Proofhouse.com that gun was made in 1922.

That is a lanyard ring.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Hobie wrote:Sounds like a Model of 1911 commercial model. Photos would help verify those stocks as original... According to Proofhouse.com that gun was made in 1922.

That is a lanyard ring.
Hobie nailed it.

Whatever you do, do NOT attempt to "clean up" the finish on the gun other than to oil it with a 2"x2" linen patch. Anything more harsh and the value will be reduced significantly.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Noah Zark wrote:
Hobie wrote:Sounds like a Model of 1911 commercial model. Photos would help verify those stocks as original... According to Proofhouse.com that gun was made in 1922.

That is a lanyard ring.
Hobie nailed it.

Whatever you do, do NOT attempt to "clean up" the finish on the gun other than to oil it with a 2"x2" linen patch. Anything more harsh and the value will be reduced significantly.

Noah
+1,000 :shock: Sounds like a nice piece. So many historic pieces are "cleaned up" by folks who don't know firearms in the thought that they are adding value. Sounds like you got your hands on it before any such mischief! :D
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

If it has matching magazines they will also have lanyard rings. The early Colt military guns were furnished blued. The 1911 had a wide hammer spur and the short grip safety tang and were notorious biters, I have to tape the web of my hand or wear a glove when i shoot mine. If it were a military issue it would have US Government Property on the right side of the frame. I shoot mine with a 210 grain RN cast bullet and 4.0 of Bullseye as the recoil spring is a little under par after 96 years.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Back when my Grandmother was Postmaster in our small town, they had two 1911s with pearl grips that were marked United States Postal Department, IIRC. We used to take them out to the canal and shoot 'em once in a while. I gleaned lots of good V and Buffalo nickels, as well as Indian Head pennies, from the PO. Once in a while a few Barber silver coins would pass through. :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
hocbj23
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hocbj23 »

As Hobie said ,"c" equals a commercial model colt .45. Nice find. Oil it up,do nothing to it in terms of "restoration" and u will have a nice piece to pass on .BJ
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

Pictures Goat, pictures. Let us see this wonderful Colt of yours :D
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...