Trading for a new Marlin Levergun, 1895 or 308mx?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
waterboy452
Levergunner

Trading for a new Marlin Levergun, 1895 or 308mx?

Post by waterboy452 »

Hi, and Happy New Year to everyone. New member here with a few questions. I'm trading into a new Marlin Levergun with a local dealer soon. Either a 1895 .45-70, 22" barrel blue/walnut, or the new 308mx in same configuration. I live and hunt in the mountains of western NC, so normal hunting shots are close, within 100 yards or so. Dealer has the .45-70 in stock, nice rifle. He's trying to locate a 308mx to get a price on one. I'm guessing that they should be pretty close in price, but can't say for sure. I've never shot a .45-70, but have always been interested in one. Any experiences or suggestions are appreciated. I do load my own, and have for about 5 years now. Several different bottleneck rifle cartridges, along with .45 colt for my Ruger single actions. Unfortunately, don't cast my own bullets, but do have an interest in doing so. Just really don't have the time, nor the equipment to do so. Anyhow, any insight you may have is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

The 308mx is going to be a little lighter to carry around. So they are different tools for different jobs. You are going to have to figure out what kind of hunting your going to be doing. The 308mx is readily available that I've seen and sell for around $500. I think you would happy with either one. But how many 30 calibers do you already have.

Heck buy them both. Don't thank me. I'm just glad I could help out.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

You should be able to get a nice new 308MX for under $500 , the 308MXLR is most likely gonna set you back about $650 or a bit less .

The 1895XLR is gonna also be about $650 and the standerd 1895 about $525 .

I already have both versions of the 308 and the XLR in 45-70 and I must say all three are nice rifles !!!!

With the 308's I think I actually like the blued walnut version better . Killed a pair of slicks in VA with the 308MXLR this year but never fired a shot with the 308MX .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Here's pics of the two 308's and a pair of 444's !

Left to right ;

Marlin 444XLR with Leupold VariXII in 4-12

Marlin 444SS with Leupold VX1 3-9

Marlin 308MXLR with Leupold Vari XIII in 4.5-14AO

Marlin 308MX with Leupold 2.5-8

Same rifles different angle !

First kill for 308MXLR !

Took another fox with that rifle the next day !!!

Third kill with 308MXLR and first deer with this rifle ! at the crack of the rifle she turned to go back and dropped !

Fourth kill with 308MXLR about 30 seconds after the third kill !!!!

My shot was a few inches low of where I was aiming but still dropped him on the spot !!!
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Nice pics there 6pt-Sitka and good shooting too! Did that buck in the last pic owe you money or somethin'? :shock: J/K. Apparently those MX's shoot as good as they look. :wink:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

SmokeEater2 wrote:Nice pics there 6pt-Sitka and good shooting too! Did that buck in the last pic owe you money or somethin'? :shock: J/K. Apparently those MX's shoot as good as they look. :wink:
I got the 308MXLR back in the summer and took it to the range with a target 20x Leupold and best I could do in the heat was about an inch for 3 at 100 yards .

Took that 308MX out about a day or two after christmas to sight in with the 2.5-8 Leupold and shot a 3 shot group at 100 yards that was under .75" !!!!! Go figure !!!

Those two deer were shot at about 60-75 yards and the fox in the picture a measured 22 yards !!!!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Either will obviously work fine. Which appeals to you more? Does recoil bother you?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...