OT - History Without Violence

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

OT - History Without Violence

Post by Charles »

My wife, the college history Prof, had a student come to her with a complaint yesterday. This student purported to be speaking for himself and others. They objected to having a section on the Salem Witch Trials included in the American History course as they didn't want to be forced to read of such violence.

Her response is that she doesn't write history, she just teachest it and facts are facts.

Strange ol world we live in today!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - History Without Violence

Post by jeepnik »

Simple solution. Tell the kid to drop the class. If they don't, and don't attend the class on that part of history, fail them. I think it would be a pretty good lesson.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Tell him to go sit in his Prius and think over his next question before he is stupid enough to ask it.

Ed
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

She has over 100 students in this class. Before it is over 30 or so will drop the class and about half of what is left will fail.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

And those who fail and drop are our future leaders! Oi Vey!
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Sounds like they need to put on their safety helmets before leaving the house in the morning so they don't get hurt out here...
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

If it weren't for violence, the human race would have no history. Most technological advancements came about during war.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

What would be interesting is to them do an assignment to write a paper on where we or mankind would be today if there was never any violence happening anywhere in the world at any time in history. Or have them describe what they think of violence, pro's and con's. Probably give them all headaches and confuse them the rest of the year. Making them think is just plain wrong in today's world. Good Luck.
Ridgerunner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ridgerunner »

H.G. Wells' THE TIME MACHINE broke it down to the Eloi, such as the milquetoast students and the Morlocks, who represent the thugs and dicators of the world....As I recall, he set the future 800,000 years from now, I think he was off about 799,900 years. His future is now....
Confederately yours,

Ridgerunner
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

She should have told the twerp:

"The history of humanity is a history of cruelty and violence. Always has. Always will be. Grow up and get used to it."

Reckon that is a result of no good Westerns or WWII shows on TV for the last 25 years of so?
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Just like the non-hunters who say "I could never kill an animal" - maybe not, but they have no trouble 'hiring it out' to an often far less humane slaughterhouse!

These are the kind of people who mooch off the freedom and material success of others, while criticizing how those people got their freedom or wealth. Guns and Capitalism "BAD". Their hypocrisy destroys both the security and safety of societies once they get into positions of political or cultural influence.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

AMEN DOC!!! that is exactly what we are seeing in our president's bunch of cronies right now.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

First they need a BIOLOGY class (without the PC spin) to learn that HUMANS, despite the tremendous capacity for kindness, are predators with a brain. Any COLLEGE grad ought to understand this. If they can't deal with it, they ought to be working the door at walmart and leave higher education to the better suited candidates.
Certified gun nut
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

There are a lot of fine experienced people working the door at WalMarts all across this country.

I'm pretty sure that those folks could tell you a thing or two about violence and several other facts of life.

:(
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
greyowl
Levergunner

Post by greyowl »

It would be good if a history class could be taught that did not have violent content, but it would not be real history. History is reporting what happened, and as best as can be determined, why it happened. It can also be a guide as to how to keep something from happening again if it was bad and we have learned from the experience. Or to bring about a similar result in the future if it was a positive thing. It's like using ammo that your rifle doesn't shoot very accurately, and you know it. When you miss the shot you shouldn't be suprised, history told you it would happen, then you get violent calling the gun the ammo the weather and everything but yourself a *** for missing. So history and violence go together, if we ignore history we often get violence.
Shooting is the national passtime/ walk softly and carry a big stick
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Unreal!

I can't imagine how these sissies are going to turn out.

Tell them to read a book about the first or second world war and find out
what violence really is. Read about what the Germans did to the jews or the Japanese did to
the Chinese and Koreans.
The Salem Witch Trials will seem tame in comaparison.

Or the Dark ages when you could be struck down just for standing in someone's way!

What a joke!
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

FWiedner wrote:There are a lot of fine experienced people working the door at WalMarts all across this country.

I'm pretty sure that those folks could tell you a thing or two about violence and several other facts of life.

+1!
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Greyowl mentioneed the Holocaust. The college where she teaches has blocked all major Holocaust sites on their internet server as they are too violent and don't want their students to go there. My wife objected as a historian to this censorship and inability to do research on 20th Century history. Her objection got her no where.

This is a Texas state school.

And so it goes in this the year of our Lord 2009.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Didn't that "violence" thing start oh... about Cain or so.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Charles,
I went to school in Texas, when did they get so sissified?
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Now I'd figured this was a CA school, but TEXAS? Good Lord, what is it coming to? Very sad. That is not history, this is the land of make believe. These are the same folks that go around rewriting history to suit their way of twisting facts.

What's really sad is when you hear people try to do the same thing to Pearl Harbor memories. They do not feel it's appropriate to "offend" the Japenese people. Well I got news for them, the Japanese that did that, needed a bit more than being offended. They needed what they got.

I get really PO'd when people try to rewrite history to make it more acceptable today. It is what it is, whether it was a good thing or a bad thing, is something we each take from it, but it's NOT our duty, right or responsibility to rewrite it.

I am now a former government employee (retired) and was fed up with all the PC stuff that was going on. The things I was not allowed to participate in, or talk about. By golly I am now! 26 1/2 years of holding my toungue and now it's a gonna flap. :)
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

One oddity here is TEXAS gets a bad rap for BEING violent (use of death penalty, etc), yet won't let kids learn about the holocaust????? Sounds about as silly as the Islamofascists and their Madrassa schools where they don't learn anything except that which is approved by the head clerics, and makes their side look good (or how the Soviets rewroter history every few years, excizing mention of any rivals to the regime, etc) . A recipe for even MORE tragedy. HISTORY ought to teach us about progress and enlightenment and impediments to same, and about the evils of dictators, etc. Sure "we" (Christian western world) had some nasty history like the inquisition, Salem witch trials, etc, but if we don't talk about it, how do we progress beyond that? WE DON'T.
Certified gun nut
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Political correctness has nothing to do with learning, making progress or any such things. Political correctness is all about people's feelings and not making anybody feel bad about anything. It is institutionalized "feelgoodism".

I don't know how much of this applies to other Texas institutions of high learning. I am only talking about where my wife works. I teach at a banch of the Univ. of Texas thirty miles south and have had no problems. As long as a professor uses common sense in the classroom, there are no problems. But, I had not tried to access holocaust sites from one of their computors. I will have to give that a try.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Problem with most of the last several generations, mine included. They think somehow what they "think" or "want" and especially what they "feel" means diddly-squat. Good for your wife Charles!
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

FWiedner wrote:There are a lot of fine experienced people working the door at WalMarts all across this country.

Excellent comment from my stand point!

Grover Cleveland once said that "education" is the opportunity of youth and intelligence is the reward of experience that eliminates the prejudice of teaching. Teachers have to be aware of their own prejudices and the ones imposed upon them by "educators". That being said, the bulk if history is repetition, only violence is recorded.

Any "educator" of any ilk will make people read Aurthur Schlessingers history of the American People and see even in our nation's short history, we keep repeating ourselves...except around the violence.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

for a while Rush was going over some changes to history books.

They deleted or reduced lots of "evil white male" accomplishments and inserted lots of feminist milestones. For example there was 1 paragraph on Chrisopher Columbus, and 10 pages on "Seneca Falls" which was some feminist sit-in. Bunch of ladies refusing to churn butter or something.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
rhead
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rhead »

The statement that "violence never settles anything" may sound nice but it is a lie. Violence is usually the only thing that will decide anything. How many instances of global or national importance were decided without the threat or application of violence.
The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.