The Benoit Method of Deer hunting

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

The Benoit Method of Deer hunting

Post by Jason_W »

For those who are unfamiliar with the Benoits, they are family from Vermont who are known for their abilities to consistently bag trophy bucks.

Over Christmas, I splurged a bit and picked up a book about their hunting methods. I was surprised at how simple it is. Basically, they find a track and follow it until they find the deer that made it. They don't still hunt, in that they move at a fairly high rate of speed, essentially running the deer down. The amazing part is that they've learned how to do this quietly. Even moving slow as molasses through woods, I manage to sound like a running moose.

I have managed to track down small, young deer using a similar method, but never a buck. It's less boring than stand hunting and it's a great cardiovascular workout.
jengel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jengel »

Sounds like a plan. Two things that I see as a problem.
#1 I have never liked to run a deer down. I think that the adrenaline that is pumped through the body sours the meat. I know that it is on foot but I don't like to pursue deer. If I spook them, they have won that stalk and they live to fight another day.

#2 Hunting like you say they do requires a lot of land, several miles of contiguous land probably. In the country I hunt in, I have about 2 miles of creek bottom I use for whitetails. In the middle of that is about 300yds of property I don't have permission for.

I'm glad that they can harvest great deer year after year. It sure wouldn't work for the majority of the hunters. I'm not trying to flame this post, just posting my opinion. Have a good day. :D
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

jengel wrote:
#2 Hunting like you say they do requires a lot of land, several miles of contiguous land probably. In the country I hunt in, I have about 2 miles of creek bottom I use for whitetails. In the middle of that is about 300yds of property I don't have permission for.
they actually admit this as a limitation. This is a big part of why they rarely hunt in VT anymore opting instead for Maine and Canada. Also, I have no idea how they would do it without some snow on the ground.
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

I can see doing this around Moosehead Lake in ME, and then with snow on the ground, but anywhere your "run" is limited by pother properties you can't hunt, or even if there are other guys saround, SOMEONE will eventualy see that tired buck and shoot it right from in front of you.

Nice plan, though, and it's not new at all. Native Americans did this all the time, sometimes running for a day or two to catch up and do the deed.

They'd build sweat lodges alog the way, too.
I've always wanted to run a deer down, just for the Chase, but have never had enough land to do it on.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I've read several books by a fellow named Tom Brown Jr. Tom has written books on tracking and woodcraft. After reading most or all of his books I sensed a money making effort instead of the pure teaching interest he SAID he had.
That said he does say that the early indians would often track a deer literally to death. The deer would be so worn out that they could walk up and cut it's throat. But then they didn't hunt for fun either.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

They (the Benoits) have bagged hundreds of deer. If you don't want to spring the bucks (pun intended) to buy them, go to the library and check out the books about them written by Bryce Towsley:

"Big Bucks the Benoit Way"
"Benoit Bucks"

The book that started it all is written by the Father of the family:

"How to Bag the Biggest Buck of Your Life"

All are great read and worth having in any personal library.
ED
Yer never too old
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

We have a huge chunk of National forest land here in Vermont as well as some sizeable state forests. I also notice that a lot of people around here don't want to get too far off the beaten path.

The problem is that it's all dependent upon snow. I personally can't follow a deer track for too long without snow on the ground. It's also tough to tell how old a track is if it's in mud or just an imprint on the forest floor.

I think I'm just happy there is a viable deer hunting method that doesn't require hours of sitting still.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Jason, if you don't want to waste time running down does, then don't follow the tracks that don't have dew claws showing.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

The Benoits are well known in New England sporting circles. They have developed their tracking techniques over many years and have given many seminars, especially at the Worcester Sportsmans Show.

Their technique works well but as you have stated isn't applicable everywhere. They hunt northern Maine and New Hampshire where you have large tracts of land to pursue a deer over miles of territory. Also, I want to say that they worked for the town or something and could take the whole deer season off for vacation.

If you could take off the whole month of November, I am sure you'ld not only get a deer but a decent one at that.

I am not trying to denigrate them in any way with my last statement, but not everyone can do what they do. I wish I could.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

bigbore442001 wrote:
If you could take off the whole month of November, I am sure you'ld not only get a deer but a decent one at that.
I'm working on a plan so I can do that :D
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

I wish I could find a way to take a whole month off to hunt. I don't think it will happen.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I have neighbors that hunt like that. All it seems to do it screw up everyone else's hunt.
Slow is just slow.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

These guys hunt the paper company lands of Maine. I have hunted there in the past and you can go for miles and not see another human track never mind a human being . Like I said, this style of hunting only works in certain places. It could never be used in some place like southern New England or the Deep South due to the property restrictions.

I have spoke with the Benoits and they told me that they could never hunt like I do, out of a treestand.
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

I've tried. I have walked up on deer while doing so. Now whether or not they were the ones I was 'tracking' who knows.

Even still, there are guys who can track very well. I hate hunting from a stand, but it is most productive for me.
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

Read that first book many years ago. These guys hunt vast forest lands, and sometimes spend the night in the woods. The bucks they get are all monsters. I think it is the father and two sons, if I recall correctly. One time when they hung a deer, and went to help a son with getting his kill out, someone stole their deer. They tracked him down and called the conservation officer. Larry Benoit identified his deer cause he had cut a small hole near the hoof and had inserted a certain year dime in it. He identified it and the deer waas awarded to him. Th then punched the thief and knocked huim out!!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I've done it once, years ago, in snow. It works, but you should start in the morning, as you may have a long haul in front of you.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Along the lines of running the prey down...

I don't know how real it is, but this African Bushman appears to run a Kudu to death to get a spear into it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wI-9RJi0Qo

I guess that's hunting at it's most basic.

After watching the video, I feel that there would probably be an abundance of Kudu in my area.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
edsguns
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edsguns »

Marlin .35 wrote:Read that first book many years ago. These guys hunt vast forest lands, and sometimes spend the night in the woods. The bucks they get are all monsters. I think it is the father and two sons, if I recall correctly. One time when they hung a deer, and went to help a son with getting his kill out, someone stole their deer. They tracked him down and called the conservation officer. Larry Benoit identified his deer cause he had cut a small hole near the hoof and had inserted a certain year dime in it. He identified it and the deer waas awarded to him. Th then punched the thief and knocked huim out!!! Art
And the biggest buck Larry, the patriarch of the family, ever shot was shot as a blizzard was beginning. He spent the night in the woods and walked out the next day, returned for the deer, but because of the deep snow, NEVER found the carcass. He had left a cartridge, '06, in the deer's butt to be able to identify it should anyone else ever find it. It was never found. These men are in a very elite class of hunters, walking/tracking for miles through thick northern woods and then finding their way out and back to camp every (most) nights. Larry says his son Lanny is the best of the bunch. Anyone who hunts deer will enjoy both these books mentioned here. Larry Benoit forgot more about deer hunting last week, than most of us will ever know in our lives!
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

Well, you aren't ACTUALLY running them down, doubt anyone could really do that, but you do follow fast when the deer are going fast, and slow when they are going slow. (see how easy it is? lol)

You need snow, and a big chunk of ground, you follow and watch carefully, those deer KNOW they are being followed, and will take you for a merry hike, but.... every once in a while they make a mistake, and if your ready, you can get the shot, or....follow some more till it's next mistake, or you run out of daylight.

You may be a looong way from anywhere when you quit, or bag the deer, and you better be in good shape, you must also dress lightly as not to overheat, so a night out may be "uncomfortable"

You must also be able to tell a buck track from a doe, once you figure that out , you can "almost" always pick out which one is a buck.

It ain't rocket science, but you need the above conditions, and stick to it.
It was my favorite form of hunting until posted property and age ended it, tracking is more of a art form then a science, and more challenging then about any other form of hunting, but frankly, for an all round highest success rate, you can' beat a tree stand.
maddog
Levergunner

Post by maddog »

The Benoit's are good. No, I don't live in an area, where it would work. But Dam*n, if I was younger, I'd love to hunt deer that way! They didn't ask anybody to approve of their method, it's just the way they did it. If it don't work for you, so be it, but man ya gotta love their spirit!

maddog
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I have read you can hunt deer in the CA desert that way.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

Jason_W wrote:
I have no idea how they would do it without some snow on the ground.
We don't get that white fluffy stuff here at least not at the elevations the game are, also the deer here inhabit thick "panini" (Prickly Pear Cactus) forests covered with vines so terrain quite different (and thick) from up north.
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

I have watched one of their videos and read some articles on them and their meathod of hunting. I like that they hunt hard, shoot quick and often when they need to, and carry (mostly) open peep sighted rifles - mostly Remington pumps. They are not sitting in trees - like most other whitetail TV "experts" out there.
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

benoits

Post by brucew44guns »

I read the book a few years ago, "Hunting Big Bucks the Benoit Way", but did so because I appreciate Bryce Towsley's style of writing. But after I got into the book, I couldn't help but wish I was acquainted with and good friends with the Benoits and lived in Maine! Naturally I would hope to be invited to come along once in a season or two. They like the slide action Remington rifles in 30-06 as I recall. Maybe a good friend could convert them to lever guns. Bruce
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

I don't see why a good Marlin Guide gun with Ashley peep sights would not work as well. In fact, something about that big 45-70 bullet gives me some confidence in the Maine woods.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

Read an article, I think last year, that the Benoits no longer use peep sights and have gone over to scopes, for that style of hunting, the peeps still work well though. :wink: