OT- 9' 1" 97 LB Rattlesnake found on Texas golf coarse!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

OT- 9' 1" 97 LB Rattlesnake found on Texas golf coarse!

Post by rangerider7 »

I haven't checked this out even though the golf coarse is only 40 minutes from my place. I just thought y'all might want to see and hear about it. Let me know if you have seen this photo with the caption giving a different location. Like I say it might be a joke or it could be the truth.

Beau Elrod made a startling discovery on a local golf course in Cleburne TX . on Monday. While searching for golf balls, a weekly endeavor for Beau, on Cleburne ’s City Golf Course, Beau thought he had stepped on a rotten fallen tree limb. “it kind of mushed under my boot and I didn’t think much of it, til it began to move.” The huge reptile revealed itself from beneath the ground cover yielding an Western Diamond Back Rattler that is believed to be the largest of its kind ever discovered in the United States . Weighing in at a 97 lbs and 9 feet, 1 inch - it is the biggest rattler found since Ross Allen captured one in 1969 that measured 9 feet, 1 inch but only weighed 76 lbs. Beau is awaiting the final results on his record setting capture from the North Texas Game Wardens office. The Game Wardens office spent some time Monday afternoon surveying the area with moderate concern for the existence of additional Diamond Backs of this size. “A bite sustained from a snake of this size could be fatal due to the large amount of venom this animal produces.” The discovery was made in a creek bed that runs between the 14th and 15th holes on Cleburne ’s City Golf Course. When contacted, Cleburne’s Golf Club declined to comment.

"That'll Be The Day"
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT- 9' 1" 97 LB Rattlesnake found on Texas golf coarse!

Post by mescalero1 »

Rangerider,
I am not sure, but it looks like a picture of one alleged to be from an Air Force base in Utah a few years ago.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Looks like this one has been floating around for a while

Rattlesnake on Snopes.com
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Thanks guys, I figured if it was a joke someone on hear would know. It doesn't look that big to me, but don't get me wrong, it's big enough to make me take a wide loop around it no matter where it was found.
"That'll Be The Day"
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Heck, that would even make a belt big enough to fit me! :mrgreen:
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

RR7...I have seen that same photo captioned as being near a Natural Gas Compressor Station in West Texas....looks kinda like an engine house in the top right of the photo.....

jumbeaux
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

From what I could find, that snake was found near Amarillo. I don't think the snake was anywhere near 100lbs for that guy to hold it like that. I have seen this story many times including Clovis, NM, but the building in the background are apparently from a power plant near Amarillo according to the search engines.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I am trying to think of one near Amarillo, and I can't come up with one.
Look at those buildings, you old Air Force guys, identify them, see the the quonset huts?
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Wherever he was killed, and however much the critter weighed, that is one derned big serpent!!

FEIE, i believe that same photo, along with a story alledging the snake was killed on a road near the the Rio Grande was posted here a few months ago. We had a big discussion about whether or no the snake was as long as claimed.

On a lighter note, a much smaller dead serpent caused me some little embarrassment many years ago.

Along about 1988, I was attending a gun show at the Montgomery (AL) Civic Center. I'd carried a Ruger Super Blackhawk along with thoughts of trading on a Model 29. I was wearing the pistol on my belt in a crossdraw position.

I'd been intently perusing a table full of Old West relics, branding Irons, harness parts, wagon parts etc, wehn I moved on to the nest table, the first thing I saw was a rattlesnake coiled to strike. I reacted instinctively. I stepped back with my right foot and started to dray my Super Blackhawk for a quick shot.

I had thr revolver about half way out of the holster and my thumb on the hammer when two thoughts popped into my head:

#1 -- The blanking gun ain't loaded fool!

#2 -- Nobody would have a live snake loose among this many people.

I slipped the gun back into it's holster, hoping no one had noticed and looked closer at the snake. The snake, a four or five footer was indeed coild to strike but he was deader than a hammer. Further looking discolsed not one but three eight-foot tables loaded with all manner of snake items, i.e. snakeskin caps, snakesking vests, snake heads in lucite blocks ans several more mounted snakes. It was enough to gag a maggot!

Needless to say, I didn't waste much time on that display, even out of horrified fascination.

To say that I hate snakes is a vast understatement. And I don't dislike dead snakes much less than I do live ones.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

My buddy from outside Georgetown, Texas hates snakes. It seems the people that hate them the most have the most run ins with snakes. He got stuck in a old creek bed in the mud with a dirt bike when he was younger. He got off to try and push his bike out when he noticed a lot of movement in the mud. he had landed in a nest of Water Moccasins. There were about 20 or so. Needless to say he left the dirt bike and ran home about 5 miles. He got me and I lassoed the bike from up the bank and we pulled it out with my truck. It was a sight seeing all those snakes crawling around and over that bike. My buddy had to have a couple of beers just to get the nerve to show me where his bike was. He was going to leave it there and let finders keepers and he is a tough marine. Later on a few years ago we were building fence together and after we got through went to the barn for a few cold ones. We stopped by a tree to lean up the remaining T-posts. I saw an old rusted T-post laying on the ground. As I leaned over to pick it up a rattler let loose a warning about 3 inches from my hand. I let out a war hoop and jerked my hand back and yelled for my buddy to get my 357 Blackhawk with snake shot out of the truck and bring it to me. I kept my eyes on the snake so as not to loose it. I waited but no gun. I looked around and he was running down the road about 75 yards away yelling "I hate snakes!" I finally coaxed him back with the thought of a cold one after I killed it. It was 102 degrees that day. I still love to tell that story, I'm laughing now as I tell you guys. :lol: P.S. he said "I did not know you were that fast or could jump that high but I'm impressed with your athletic ability for your age." We were both laughing so hard we were crying as we showed each other what the other one looked like during the encounter with the rattler.
"That'll Be The Day"
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

That snakes lucky I didn't find him :D

If I had ,his hide would be tanning and the "meat" part of him would've been cooked or atleast in my freezer :wink:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I have to tell this story on Mrs. Hobie.

Just after I retired I took her on a road trip to see my family's roots in upstate NY. We spent a couple of days in the Lake George area looking at family properties and visiting relatives. One of those sites is what is known (was? known) as "Pine Lodge" just south of Sabbath Day Point. We'd gotten out of the XTERRA and were looking downhill from the overlook at the property. I was pointing out certain features and changes and came to the new stairway down the hill, complete with gate. On the gate was a sign, "Beware of Rattlesnakes" which I began to read aloud. I noticed a slight breeze and turned to see my wife in XTERRA rolling north on SR9. She wouldn't stop completely and I had to climb in with the vehicle still rolling!

Now the last snake I knew of that had been seen on the property was about where we were standing, in 1926 BEFORE route 9 had been built! As kids we'd run up and down the hillside, barefoot, day and night as had my mother's generation and her mother's generation. I didn't think a thing of the sign but that it was meant to keep curious passerby out. She wasn't buying that. :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

While not a rattlesnake, this is my favorite internet snake. IIRC, he (she?) had just finished a meal of South African sheep and was a different size when trying to crawl back out of an electrified pen. Shocking...
Tom

Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

Look at those freakin teeth!

:shock:
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Regarding the water moccasin story (or any of them), why God gave us hi cap pump shotguns, gasoline and matches.
My apologies to the professional and amateur herpetologists and other fanged-snake friendlies out there, but we just don't need a "nest" of moccasins (etc)--anywhere. Import some bull or king snakes if you've got four legged pests to control--also good for fanged-snake reduction--or otherwise are concerned about the balance of nature in these habitats! Good grief. We've got our share in Arizona--including THE deadliest, the Mohave rattler--but these stories from the south/central/east make our fair state look like freakin' Hawaii!
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

As far as venom goes, the Mojave and Southern Pacific are on a par. Both are both hemo and neurotoxic. Both are very aggressive and will not back down. A fusee tossed into their den puts a serious hurt on 'em. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Mike, The first time we went to California,one of the places we were tramping around all over the park Crystal Cove State Park! anyway I kept saying lets take the short cuts along the rocks by the beach/cliffs with our shorts/Birkenstocks etc on.I get home and lookup that park and it says they have those Pacific Rattlers all over that place.Being so close to the ocean I did not even have that go through my mind.Dont remember seeing any beware snake signs???
Did see some nasty looking snakes and a mounatin lion when hiking Mt.Baldy though.Also remember looking over one of the cliffs there and down on a ledge was a new looking nice Mountain Bike.I thought maybe a mountain lion got someone.Also seen lion tracks and saw 3 coyotes hiking in San Bernidino Hills.Also in the Mojave Desert we saw a (sidewinder )that almost went over my wifes foot! It kind of came right out of the sand! :o
JoeArizona
Levergunner 1.0

Post by JoeArizona »

A couple of weeks ago the family (my wife and 2 kids) were out in the desert poking around some old gold mines. We were walking up a hill and all of a sudden heard 'the rattle'. Nothing makes a noise like that.
It was a small (about 3 feet) Mohave (or Mohave Green) rattler. Sometimes they are not green and you have to tell by the size of the black/white bands on the tail. But this one was pretty bright green. And you're right Mike...they are the most feared in these parts because of their double whammy venom and their agressive attitude. This one struck at me 3 times and I was at least 10 feet away!
I told everyone behind me to hold their ears so I could shoot it with my 9mm. Then I asked them if they were ready...no answer...I asked again...no answer...then I looked back and they all 3 had their hands over their ears! Duh!
After 7 shots I finally hit it good. My wife later told me I should have just hit it with a rock and saved all those bullets. It hurt that she said that, but it hurt worse that she was right.
Long story short...my little girl has a new rattle necklace.

Joe
Joe

---

Peter's Laws - Rule #7, "If you can't beat them, join them, then beat them."
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

JoeArizona wrote:A couple of weeks ago the family (my wife and 2 kids) were out in the desert poking around some old gold mines. We were walking up a hill and all of a sudden heard 'the rattle'. Nothing makes a noise like that.
It was a small (about 3 feet) Mohave (or Mohave Green) rattler. Sometimes they are not green and you have to tell by the size of the black/white bands on the tail. But this one was pretty bright green. And you're right Mike...they are the most feared in these parts because of their double whammy venom and their agressive attitude. This one struck at me 3 times and I was at least 10 feet away!
I told everyone behind me to hold their ears so I could shoot it with my 9mm. Then I asked them if they were ready...no answer...I asked again...no answer...then I looked back and they all 3 had their hands over their ears! Duh!
After 7 shots I finally hit it good. My wife later told me I should have just hit it with a rock and saved all those bullets. It hurt that she said that, but it hurt worse that she was right.

Joe

Joe,

You need a .357 or .44 loaded with a couple of shotshells, plus a few more in you pocket for roaming the back country/ Saves lots of ammo and no dnger or ricochets.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Image Image
UNITE!
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

+ Doc
"That'll Be The Day"
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

I don't bother them & they don't bother me.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
JoeArizona
Levergunner 1.0

Post by JoeArizona »

Doc Hudson wrote:
JoeArizona wrote:A couple of weeks ago the family (my wife and 2 kids) were out in the desert poking around some old gold mines. We were walking up a hill and all of a sudden heard 'the rattle'. Nothing makes a noise like that.

Joe

Joe,

You need a .357 or .44 loaded with a couple of shotshells, plus a few more in you pocket for roaming the back country/ Saves lots of ammo and no dnger or ricochets.
Doc,
I agree...
I usually have my S&W Model 66 carrying just such loads, but unfortunately not this time. In reality I've found a long hiking stick is the best thing to have in snake country.
Stay safe!
Joe

---

Peter's Laws - Rule #7, "If you can't beat them, join them, then beat them."
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Swampman wrote:I don't bother them & they don't bother me.
I made a treaty with snakes long ago. As long as the don't bother me, I don't bother them. i don't hunt them anymore and expect the same consideration from them.

However, if I see a snake, it bothers me so I take action.

Image Image
UNITE!