Fixed sight help

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Fixed sight help

Post by TX Gun Runner »

[quote="Mutt"]
No smiths in my area to turn the barrel for sighting in.
I have 13 SA guns with fixed sights and I have never turned a barrel on any of them . I shoot with my little finger under grip [ pictured ] which controls the roll of a SA and the thumb controls the twist , all my guns shoot POA very nearly perfect in my book .

These 2 pics are guns I test fired after cutting the forcing cones , my range faces south and I test in AM so my groups shoot a little left , this is a good or normal POA in my book . These are not target loads , they are loaded for 750 fps for SASS/CAS shoots .

This gun was shot a little after noon and the front sight I had trouble seeing , again SASS/CAS loads . I hope this information helps someone .......

Last edited by TX Gun Runner on Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image..Image
Image......Image
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Fiixed sight help

Post by TX Gun Runner »

I hit the wrong button and wipe the other post out . SORRY , This was shot in the afternoon also .

Image..Image
Image......Image
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Fiixed sight help

Post by J Miller »

I used to, and some times still do, have trouble with shooting to the left.
It used to drive me totally nuts because when I shot from the bench my guns would shoot to point of aim but standing I'd send the shots left every time. The urge was to crank in a bunch of right windage, but I did not do that. I analyzed what I was doing and decided that there were two factors to my left shooting.

First: I simply do not like the XR3-RED grip design. When I shoot guns equipped with that grip I tend to use my trigger finger as additional support for the gun. That 1/4" extra room throws me off.
Switching all of my Old Model Rugers to the older XR3 grip design cured that problem.

Second: I just love to stick as much of my trigger finger into the trigger guard as I can. That does not work. When I analyzed my problems I quickly found out that those who said to use ONLY the pad at the end of your trigger finger are absolutely right. When you stick your finger in up to the joint you push the gun off to the side away from your gun hand.
When I use only the pad on my finger I actually shoot straight.

As for the pinky under the grip it depends on what kind of shooting I'm doing. Slow and deliberate I use a full grip as shown it this pic:
CLC yellowed AM Holly grips 12-23-06a_cropped.JPG
Otherwise if I'm shooting one handed rapid fire I use the pinky under hold.

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***