Another .32 Winchester Special question...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
nralover
Levergunner 2.0

Another .32 Winchester Special question...

Post by nralover »

Guys, I am curious about something. What is the rate of twist of this barrel? My Winnie 94 was made in 1971, and I was told that it may have a different rate of twist than .32 specials made before 1964. Any help would be appreciated, NRA
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I thought they were all 1-16" but maybe (lurking in the dark recesses of my aging mind) the later ones were rifled 1-12"...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
nralover
Levergunner 2.0

Post by nralover »

Dang Hobie! I wish I had a fraction of your knowledge- is there anything you don't know?
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Nope, I believe they are all 1-16. I am currently having a 32 Spl. relined as I wanted a long heavy bullet to be accurate for NRA silhouette. I told my guy I wanted a 1-12 but he said the best he could do was a 1-14 and that's the fastest that's offered. So................I'm assumming (I know about the assum thing :lol: ) that if a shootist could not get a faster twist than a 1-14, I would not want to bet the farm on Winchester using a 1-12.

Also, I looked in my manuals from early to late editions and they all say 1-16.-------------------Sixgun
nralover
Levergunner 2.0

Post by nralover »

Sixgun wrote:Nope, I believe they are all 1-16. I am currently having a 32 Spl. relined as I wanted a long heavy bullet to be accurate for NRA silhouette. I told my guy I wanted a 1-12 but he said the best he could do was a 1-14 and that's the fastest that's offered. So................I'm assumming (I know about the assum thing :lol: ) that if a shootist could not get a faster twist than a 1-14, I would not want to bet the farm on Winchester using a 1-12.

Also, I looked in my manuals from early to late editions and they all say 1-16.-------------------Sixgun
Oh well, I bet a whitetail deer wouldn't know the difference anyway. I can't wait until November to test the theory:)
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Sixgun wrote:Nope, I believe they are all 1-16. I am currently having a 32 Spl. relined as I wanted a long heavy bullet to be accurate for NRA silhouette. I told my guy I wanted a 1-12 but he said the best he could do was a 1-14 and that's the fastest that's offered. So................I'm assumming (I know about the assum thing :lol: ) that if a shootist could not get a faster twist than a 1-14, I would not want to bet the farm on Winchester using a 1-12.

I think you're right which is why I emphasized MAYBE... :lol: Could have been associated with another 32 or I read it when I was 32 or I $32 in my pocket one day... :lol:

However, it is easy to check with a cleaning rod and tight patched jag... :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
jtaylor1960
Levergunner

32 Special

Post by jtaylor1960 »

I think Hobie was right and if I can find the box I will check.I bought a 1970's 32 and I'm almost positive it is a 1 in 12" twist. It is widely known that the early models were 1 in 16".
oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldgerboy »

About two years ago I fit an old 8mm Mauser barrel to my one Winny 94 ... .323 is pretty close to .321 and the twist would allow heavier bullets.

I never finished the critter because we didn't have a .32 Spl reamer ... duh!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

The Douglas barrel on my .32-40 will handle 180gr cast very well at
1 in 14 twist. It is a .323 (8mm) barrel and I shoot the same bullets sized the same in my Win. 94 32sp. but those bullets are barely stable at 16-1700 fps. so I`d guess it`s 1 in 16" twist. :)
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

Ken Waters in his Pet Loads lists the .32 Special with a 1:16 twist. Never heard of a 1:12!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

The Winchester '94's in .32 W.S. had a 16" twist.

However, regarding Marlin's, BruceB reported that he has a late 1940's Model 36 that has a 10" twist.....possibly Marlin found a source for 8MM barrels and used them in that time period. Here's the link:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... hlight=.32

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian