Win Model 94 - 2nd serial #

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RandyC
Levergunner

Win Model 94 - 2nd serial #

Post by RandyC »

Gentlemen, I have a Winchester '94 in 30-30 produced in '58. On the receiver, below the serial number, is a hand etched 2nd serial number, AK 09XXXXX.

Any ideas what this means? The rifle has obviously spent the better of its life in a gun cabinet, shot very little. The hand etching is very precise.

I'm just curious. Any ideas?
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Win Model 94 - 2nd serial #

Post by Mich Hunter »

Most likely it is the original owners driver's license number. This seems to have been a common practice back then
RandyC
Levergunner

Post by RandyC »

Mich hunter--

Thanks. That's probably a pretty good call and it never even crossed my mind. This guy must've gotten A+'s in penmanship. It's really a clean job.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Many moons ago I bought a Marlin Glenfield Mdl 60 .22 Auto. The previous owner had engraved his DL # on the side of the bolt and the top of the aluminum receiver.
Because of this I got it for a reduced price.

I took it home, polished the side of the bolt getting rid of the grafiti and did the same thing to the receiver.
To refinish the receiver I painted it semi mat black and baked it on in the oven.

Turned out real nice.

It never impressed me as a good thing to do though. Especially to a rifle or pistol with a factory serial number. Those are much more traceable.

The markings could also be an inventory number for a govt agency too.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

RandyC wrote:Gentlemen, I have a Winchester '94 in 30-30 produced in '58. On the receiver, below the serial number, is a hand etched 2nd serial number, AK 09XXXXX.

Any ideas what this means? The rifle has obviously spent the better of its life in a gun cabinet, shot very little. The hand etching is very precise.

I'm just curious. Any ideas?
Randy, "AK" is the abbreviation for Alaska. I'll bet it's an Alaska driver's license number.
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

I purchased a rifle a couple of years back and it said in the ad that it was import marked. The engraving was tiny.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

My dad got an "engraving pencil" back in the seventies and put his SS# on all kinds of stuff...winchester 94, winchester 67a, colt woodsman, high standard supermatic, ect ect. Oh Daddy why? Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.