Inexpensive Riflescope cover - Where?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Inexpensive Riflescope cover - Where?

Post by JohndeFresno »

OK - I cut down on my reloading, therefore my shooting, when this primer shortage thing hit us several months ago. My absolute shutdown limit for each caliber is 1,000 primers, and I've reached that on several calibers. So... I have a few nice rifles sitting idly, barrel up, and now the dust is settling on the scopes! Veddy bad form, old chap. I should have put those scope protector thingies on them.

Where do I find a cheap but efficient scope protector like the type that comes with some scopes: Two clear plastic caps connected by elastic bands that slip over each end? I Googled and searched a bit, but I come up with all sorts of scope covers, frequently overpriced or too precisely sized. I just want an elastic thing that fits the standard sized scope, like the somewhat standard size 4x scope on a .30-30 lever gun? Is there a search word I should use?

I want to quickly purchase four of these rascals for a few bucks; I don't need a Swarovsky Special Edition Gold Plated 32mm front scope cover for $135.00, for instance (to dream up an example).

Is there a common term, like "Elastic Universal Scope Cover" that I can use for a search, either with Google, Midway, or the like? Thanks for the help if you know.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Inexpensive Riflescope cover - Where?

Post by mescalero1 »

Having worked for a major manufacturer of scopes, I will say this, we supplied those clear plastic and rubber see through things and they were junk!
What we should have invented & supplied is a product called " scopecoat " this is in my opinion the best of the bunch.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

We USED to use the inner tube covers, just a band cut from an old (or not so old) inner tube. They worked pretty well and came off quickly. I'm amazed at the cost of the flip up type if I put them on all my scopes. :!:

PS - as Mescalero1 points out, that IS the Scopecoat!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Thanks for quick replies. But...hmmm...

A-a-a-a-right, I'll bite. What do you mean by Scopecoat?? Is this something like, "What's a henweigh?"

And I don't ride bicycles anymore (prolly should); so I'd be in trouble for slashing the family car tires to cover the scope. If nothing else shows up, I guess I could amble on over to a sporting goods store and buy an inner tube.

On the other hand, the El Cheapo SuperDeluxe scope I have on a .22 plinker rifle has those clear plastic throwaways as described and - guess what? That rifle has been also sitting in my safe, but the glass on the covered scope is as clean as Cinderella's slipper. So, for purposes of storage right now, I'm just looking for something that blocks the dust.

This Scopecoat sounds like some type of spray on film - but it won't ward off the dust - will it?
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

No,
The scopecoat is made from a modern " stretchable " material, any color, it covers the whole scope, protecting it from scratches and " minor " dings, it is somewhat cushy, it is easily removed for use, stick it in your back pocket.
Like I said, this is the protection we SHOULD have offered with every scope.
They are inexpensive, and the BEST alternative.
Look them up on the web.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

I actually just use these: http://www.butler-creek.com/products/scopes_bikini.html

I've never had any problem with them and they conform to my scopes very well. Granted, they don't have hard lens covers but they will keep dust and dirt away from the lenses and they remove in a flash. Cheap too.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Perfect!

All good suggestions. For the dust, I'm going for the bikinis. But the innertube thing and the nylon sleeve are something I might be implementing later, as well. Thanks, gentlemen!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

My inexpensive home made covers for the
Weaver K3W. Leather used from an old baseball glove.

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

So far nobody has mentioned zip lock bags. Put 'em on, zip 'em up and the scope is covered. Might have to buy the gallon or two gallon size, but they are cheep enough so it won't hurt the budget.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

There are 12-pages of various types of scope covers at this link.

http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#Scope% ... -4_8-16-32
ED
Yer never too old
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Very clever, Joe.

Modoc, I guess I should have waited a day. I had trouble with the site given on the link above - it would not let me order the bikini scope because it locked up on the shipping dropdown; so I paid the going price of $7.95 each plus tax and shipping to Cabela's for 4 covers. I see that your Midway posting knocked them to $4.99 each! That's quite a saving, and a very fair price. Oh, well.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

If you let the crud build up, it will protect the finish, and not allow the different screws to backout as easy......
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Very nice, Casastahle!!

Post by John in MS »

Nice leather scope cover, Casastahle! That is a very classic design. I'd like to make a couple
for some of my older scopes. Are they very hard to make and get them to come out decent looking?

Thanks,
John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

A ways back I bought a bin of ones that were partly broken from a gunshop. Some had cracked the clear plastic part (easily replaced) some broken elastic (easily replaced), and a few actually had the lens holding part cracked (threw those away and mated the other ends to one another.

The funny thing is all those came with cheap-o Tasco scopes and the like, that everyone makes fun of. I sure like them though. VERY rarely do I shoot with them on, but I could if needed, and they keep grit off the lenses.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

You want cheap? I use Saran Wrap. :D For real. A quick wrap around and it stays put. Keeps the dust off my seldom used scoped rifles and when that bi-yearly urge to shoot a scoped bolt gun hits me, I just whip it off, shoot the gun, clean it and then wrap some more on it.

You don't even have to take it off as its easily seen through if wrapped tight enough. If the weird urge to use such a gun while hunting hits you, just leave it on---keeps out snow etc. :D ---------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

I hope you like them JdF.

You will have to stretch them a bit the first time you put them on but they do conform easily to the scope. They'll take a bit of set too so you won't have to re-stretch them all over again when you put it back on. The set isn't permanent.

My oldest is 9 or 10 years and still works like a charm.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sixgun wrote:You want cheap? I use Saran Wrap. :D For real. A quick wrap around and it stays put. Keeps the dust off my seldom used scoped rifles and when that bi-yearly urge to shoot a scoped bolt gun hits me, I just whip it off, shoot the gun, clean it and then wrap some more on it.

You don't even have to take it off as its easily seen through if wrapped tight enough. If the weird urge to use such a gun while hunting hits you, just leave it on---keeps out snow etc. :D ---------Sixgun
Now THAT is just too darned PRACTICAL to even be FUN... :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Very nice, Casastahle!!

Post by cshold »

John in MS wrote:Nice leather scope cover, Casastahle! That is a very classic design. I'd like to make a couple
for some of my older scopes. Are they very hard to make and get them to come out decent looking?

Thanks,
John
Thanks John in MS,
No they are not hard to make, just very time consuming.
I will take some close-ups and post them on this thread
for you tonight.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I got a nice one free with a Gamo airgun, maybe they sell them.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Close-ups of my homemade leather scope covers.

John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

Thanks, Casastahle!! I sure appreciate it -- the detail will be helpful when I make mine.
Now, I need to go find a "donor" baseball glove!! :)

John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

I use the bikini covers too. They can be used on any size scope and easily fit in your pack or pocket when hunting.

Chris
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...
handyrandyrc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by handyrandyrc »

I'm sure you've got an orphaned sock or two around the house. Slip an old sock over it. Free.
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

I use the bikini also but if you had a couple of those plastic caps they put on hydralic
lines and fittings that fit each end of the scope,then put something that streches from one
to the other.It might look a little trailer park but would work.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Got the Bikinis. Popped them on. Love 'em - perfect. Easy to use, remove, store, and carry!
P.S. to HandyRandyRC - I liked the old socks idea, 'cept that's what I wear! :)