Way OT: Hi-Standard Flite King shotguns ok?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Way OT: Hi-Standard Flite King shotguns ok?

Post by John in MS »

Hi, folks,
Saw an interesting pump shotgun in a local store --- a High Standard Flite King Deluxe, 12 ga., in very good condition. The price is tempting and the action is really slick. Does anyone have any experience with these?
Any info on their reputation? This one was made in the 70's, apparently.
John
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

I had a 20ga Ted Williams(basically the same gun, made for Sears) I gave to my niece about 10 years ago. I bought it for the price at the time (IIRC $75 about 5 years before that). She's still uses it regularly for hunting pheasant. It was/is a nice shotgun that is very smooth, reliable, and well made. I don't think you could go wrong.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

I had one as my first shotgun, about '74. Parts are limited for repairs. As I remember the gun was heavy and forearm loose. I did replace the extractor on at least one occasion. I sold mine and bought an 870.

TomF
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The High Standard's were serious competition for Remington and Ithaca back then - and with exeption of the Model 12, which became a Custom Shop item, blew Winchester out of that market. To meet their challenge, Remington had to start making econo-870's, and Ithaca got into receivership.

They're slightly heavy, but stout workhorses, and were very popular among those who couldn't afford an 870 or Model 37.They were a much better choice than the terrible Winchester 1200 & it's clones, aka "the gunsmith's retirement fund".
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I hate to be the odd man out but I had 2 JC Higgins (High Standards for Pennys) and they were worthless. I happily sent them both off to a fellah that wanted them no matter how I tried to talk him out of it.

I suspect one was just beat and tired but the other was like new.

Personally I would rather spend a few dollars more and have a used Mossberg 500 or 870 Express.
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

They used to be dirt cheap, you could pick them up for a song. They were rugged and reliable. Mine was one of the best shotguns I ever had. I feel they were better than the 870's. Buy it!! You will not be disappointed!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

My Dad bought a High Standard Flight King back in the 70's for Doves and Quail. Still has it and it's still going strong. In fact, it might be the next gun I might beg off of him. :oops:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

Thanks, folks, I appreciate the good info and help! :D

John
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Pete44ru wrote:The High Standard's were serious competition for Remington and Ithaca back then - and with exeption of the Model 12, which became a Custom Shop item, blew Winchester out of that market. To meet their challenge, Remington had to start making econo-870's, and Ithaca got into receivership.

They're slightly heavy, but stout workhorses, and were very popular among those who couldn't afford an 870 or Model 37.They were a much better choice than the terrible Winchester 1200 & it's clones, aka "the gunsmith's retirement fund".
If they are better than a 1200 you should be pretty satisfied.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson