What's best for 92 Win. 32/20 ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
25-20 Win
Levergunner

What's best for 92 Win. 32/20 ?

Post by 25-20 Win »

G'Day All, Have just acquired a 92 Win. in 32/20. The idea is to shoot classic lever at metal. The club only shoots these with the Rams at 100 metres. I want to make and shoot cast bullets at moderate speeds. The bore seems to be in good order for its age. I would like to know whether I should use a lube sizer or get a mould of the right size and and just roll them in lube and shoot them as they are. Is there a bullet type-design that is best? Any other advice would be appreciated. By the way I am in Queensland Aust.
Thanks, Cj ....................
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What's best for 92 Win. 32/20 ?

Post by Pete44ru »

G'Day, Cj - and welcome to the fire ! :P

I absolutely LOVE a .32-20 Model 92, but since I've never shot silly-wets, I dunno if it'll have enough ooomph to knock down a regulation-size steel ram.

IIRC, in CAS (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) the two heavier Model 92 issue chamberings, .38-40 & .44-40, are preferred for just that reason.

My M1892 had a button mag - how about putting up some pics of yours ?

gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Hey CJ, the 32-20 is pretty popular as a pistol cal sillywet rifle and I dont know about the eastern states but here in WA most people use Westcastings projies because at about $80 a 1000 you couldn't make your own for less.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

I have a Uberti 1873 reproduction in .32-20 and my wife has two Marlin 1894s in .32-20.
I've loaded a fair amount for her guns & always use a lubrisizer.
We've used NBC bullets (now out of business), hard enough for CAS purposes. In her Marlins, I had to throttle the loads back, when I started out they were cratering our mild steel practice plates.

I don't know if they'd have enough mass for knockdowns at 100 yards, but loaded to potential the round is a zippy one.
You'd need to experiment with whatever you can find in your area as far as bullets go, but use the heaviest weights you can obtain and just see what works best for your gun at that range.

Denis
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Welcome to the fire! A second on the pic's - sounds like a wonderful gun. From your moniker, I imagine you may have a .25-20 we'd love to see too! :D
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Welcome - sounds like a great gun to work with.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

welcome, come in and set a spell.

don't know nothin' about that 32-20 but
anybody with an old winchester can't be all bad.

oh, a third on pics[we really like pics].

good luck, pokey
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Lyman 311316 GC over 8 gr Lil"Gun works well in my 1906. 1250 FPS. sized .313"
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I'm shooting a Uberti made Cimarron 1873 Deluxe in .32-20 for pistol caliber silhouette competition. I cast my own bullets using a Lyman 311008 plain base mould. The bullets weigh 116 grains and are sized .312 and lubed with Javelina in an RCBS Lubrisizer. Powder charge of 10 gr. IMR4227 is listed as near max in the book "Pet Loads" and is good for 1390 f.p.s. using Winchester Small Pistol primers. It has no trouble at all taking down 100 meter rams if I do my part!

I also have a Browning Model 53 in .32-20 that shoots this load very well.

If you shoot a lot, you should seriously consider aquiring an electric lead melting furnace and some quality bullet moulds. It takes only a few thousand bullets to recover the cost of your investment, and once you have the equipment it will last a lifetime and longer with minimal care.

Good Luck!

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

G'day 25-20.
I shoot a couple of original 1892's in 32-20 and an 1894 Marlin as well.
I use 115gn Hawkesbury River projectiles and 11gn of ADI 2205.
This works fine in my guns.
Hawkesbury are readily available here in Sydney.
I am just about to order some Silver Shadow projectiles and give them a try.
Believe it or not, I screwed a mid range vernier tang sight to one of my 1892's and after a little sighting was able to hit a 14" plate at 300m consistently. It did take a little while for the projectile to get to it though.
I have never done any comp shooting, but would back you knocking down steel at 100m with your 32-20.
Now that you have confessed to having a "new" gun you are obligated to post pics of it!!!!!
Have fun with that 32-20.
Pop.
25-20 Win
Levergunner

Post by 25-20 Win »

Thank you all for the input, it's hard to know where to start but with what has been posted here and a little local help I am looking forward to getting started. My "new" gun has been around and I will be cleaning it up as well once I start shooting it. Re: the pics, well, I will have to work on that too, as you say, they are a great part of this forum. I do own a 25/20 carbine as well which I "did up" some years ago. I don't know if this is the right thing to do or not. Thanks to the aussie fellas for pointing me in the right direction with local products etc. Will let you know how it all goes.
Many thanks, Cj ................
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dbateman »

hi there 25-20 were about's in qld are you Im in Toowoomba at the moment cant help you with the 32-20
loads dont no to much about the round except iI need one
.Dave
Dave Bateman .

If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words, matches cause fires and spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
shdwlkr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by shdwlkr »

just to plug my group buy that I am running on castboolits right now if you want get in touch with me before 8/17/09 as that is when the buy closes and you can get a hollow point for one of the cavities if you want. look for: Long awaited 311316 GB is HERE! no it isn't a true 311316 but it was the design I ended up with.
I really like the 32-20 and don't have my load info right at hand so can't tell you my load but mine is original and I just love the rifle.
In a free society the government doesn't fear its citizens
NRA Endowment member
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

One time after our monthly silhouette match, we set the full size targets up for play. The full size pigs at 100, chickens at 50, etc. I told the boys, "watch this". I loaded up 10 rounds of 32-20 in my 1892 and proceeded to knock down 10 pigs with 10 shots in about 10 seconds. :D I'll never do it again. The 115 gr. lead gas checked bullets were loaded with 5.5 gr. of Unique for about 1400 fps and toppled them over easily.-----------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..