OT: Deer hunting in Florida

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ursavus.elemensis
Levergunner 2.0

OT: Deer hunting in Florida

Post by ursavus.elemensis »

Deer hunting in Florida

Interesting dilemna for the big city liberals: They must be upset that the mean old wildlife officers killed that alligator. But then again, they must also be upset that the mean old alligatror killed bambi. But the rural conservatives are happy either way because this is a hunting two-for-one! You get the alligator and the deer, all with one shot.

66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

We grow 'em big in Florida. That one looks like a T- Rex.

True story. A few years ago dog hunters in the north part of the county kept losing dogs. Nobody knew what was happening to them until a hunter who used radio collars was tracking down a lost dog. He followed the signal to a wallow in a creek. There he found a 14 foot gator with a strong dog collar signal coming from it. The gator was trapped, killed and cut open. They found something like a dozen dog collars when they dissected that gator.

I live on a brackish bayou and every spring we see them hanging around our dock (not that big, thankfully). I even got a little one to bite a top water plug once. Got him all the way to the dock when he decided to let go of the plug.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

that happens more than you know.....
those suckers have stalked me a few time....
and got pretty close too.....too close
but nothing that big!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

That's a huge alligator.
Old Law Dawg
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

That's a freakin' whopper!!!
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Read " Death in the Silent Places " by Peter Hathaway Capstick,
it will chill your blood
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Rimhmfire,
Have they really " stalked you? "
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

mescalero1 wrote:Rimhmfire,
Have they really " stalked you? "
Oh Yea....
Once while hunting in a management area, I had to cross a washout with my truck....The logging road had a canal on one side...While i was
walking through the water...I noticed a 6'+ gator slip into the water and
start swimming over to me ...on the bottom...I wasnt to worried about him though...but he did get within 8 to 10 feet of me....
If your fishing with top water baits.....they will always cruise in
to check out the commotion..one day while i was standing on the
dive platform on the back of the boat....an 8 footer made right up to the edge of the boat..before i noticed him....they are sneaky
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Not too many old noodlers down that way, I bet. If there are, I bet they're all called, "Lefty"!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
nralover
Levergunner 2.0

Post by nralover »

That absolutely freaks me out. :shock:
ursavus.elemensis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ursavus.elemensis »

This is the story that goes with the pictures:
These pictures were taken by a Trauma Hawk helicopter flying over Lake Worth , (For those of you who are not local, Lake Worth is near West Palm Beach , Fl.)

That has to be a HUGE gator to have a whole deer in its mouth!

The alligator was found near Forest Hill Blvd and the Florida Turnpike... near a house. Game Wardens were forced to shoot the alligator- guess he wouldn't cooperate. Jayne and Don Hobkirk could hear the bellowing in the night. Their neighbors had been telling them that they had seen a mammoth alligator in the Lake that runs behind their house, but they dismissed the stories as being exaggerations.

"I didn't believe it," Don Hobkirk said. On Friday they realized the stories were, if anything, understated. Florida Game and Parks game wardens had to shoot the beast.

Caption for the last picture, above:
Joe Goff, 6' 5" tall, a game warden with the Florida Game and Parks Commission, walks past the 23-foot, one inch alligator that he shot and killed in the back yard of Jayne & Don Hobkirk...
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

The wife and I were visiting my Mom and Dad in Venice, FL several years ago. I don't play golf but my Dad did and wanted me to play a round with him. So, off we go the the local golf course, which is right on the Gulf of Mexico. They had a lot of ponds on the course with some Palmetto Brush areas and high grass around them.

We were on the front nine and one of the guys in our group hit a ball into the rough/palmettos/grass/pond areas. The guy that hit the ball wouldn't go into the rough because of "gators" he said but he did skirt the edges. He was poking his club into the brush and all of a sudden the club was forcefully ripped from his hand. The next thing I knew a gator came out of the rough with the club in it's mouth and was heading straight for the guy. We quickly left the gator and his new club and proceeded to the next hole. My Dad said that that kind of thing happened regularly there. The guy that lost the club was POed because the club the gator got was a $300.00 graphite club.
ED
Yer never too old
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

Fellas, that gator with the deer picture has been floating around for awhile. I forget where it was taken, but it was not Florida. The second picture is also not from Florida. That is not one of our officers and is not our uniform. I believe it is from Alabama. The story was researched and the picture has been photo enhanced. Look real close at the rope and the strap and compare them to the alligator.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Or, alternately, instead of hiring a photo investigator and tracking down and flogging the person who DARED to post such a photo for the nefarious purpose of getting you to look at it, you can just look at it and go, "Hey, cool!"
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

Check the shadows also. The shadows under the trucks are directly underneath, as if high noon. Then look at the shadow of the wildlife officer.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams