PROJECT SWORD * * NEW PICTURES * * Sword & Charitable $$

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

PROJECT SWORD * * NEW PICTURES * * Sword & Charitable $$

Post by Old No7 »

Good evening all! Sorry for the very long post... Please bear with me!

I am pleased to report that PROJECT SWORD IS DONE!!! Mission completed!!!

Thank you to all our donors!

I can best summarize our combined actions by the following:

* Cost to post on Leverguns.com... $ 0.00

* Cost for a First Class stamp... $ 0.41

* Average out-of-pocket donation from forum members... $ 20.00

* The Total Amount we raised for this great cause...
$ 1,110.00

* The great feeling you get from participating in this... PRICELESS!

Without you and your support, this "crazy idea" never would have gotten off the ground. But not only did it fly, 48 of us pulled together and we reached the stars!

Within 24 hours of the first posting, as the pledges from you fine folks were pouring into the website & PayPal, it quickly became clear we would easily exceed the $300.00 minimum target that was set. Within another 48 hours, some snail-mail donations started to arrive and we had enough funds and more pledges to not only buy Jeremy (JReed) the personalized USMC NCO Sword for his dress uniform, but his chosen charitable organization would also greatly benefit by our generosity. Half a dozen members, who asked to remain anonymous, also contacted me privately to advise "If there was any shortfall", they would make it up. That wasn't needed, but you know who you are, and thank you for making that kind offer.

It's pretty amazing when you realize these donations came from all over this great country, including one from across the pond in the UK! And with the holidays upon us, it's typically a tough time of year to ask people to donate to yet another cause -- but you did! So many "Project Sword" letters arrived in the mail that my local mailman had to ask "Hey, what's this thing all about?" When I told him the story, he was totally blown away that most of us have never met JReed before, but we only "know him" from his postings on Leverguns.com. My mailman is a shooter and ex-military, and he wanted me to send his thanks too. He also said "It proves what I've seen over and over again, that gun owners and shooters are some of the BEST people you will ever meet!" Amen to that!

Without further adieu, here is the HONOR ROLL of all the Leverguns forum members who contributed to Project Sword:

Ysabel Kid, WCF3030, Tycer, Thunder50, stormspotter, Sixgun, Sheepman Dave, Rusty, RKrodle, rjohns94, pricecw, pharmseller, Papa, oldgerboy, Old No7, Old Ironsights, neil mitchell, Mnfolk75, Modoc ED, Mike D., Mark Wilson, kimwcook, Junior, jd45, Jayhawker, j schott, Hobie, Haycock, Hagler, gon2shoot, Gamekeeper, engravertom, dr walker, don Tomás, Dewight, DerekR, danthegunman, cutter, crowkiller, canonsix, C. Cash, Bosco, Bigahh, azoil, Andrew, 86er, 2ndovc, 1894 and 1886.

(Yes, they are listed in reverse alphabetical order... Just because too few teachers in school ever chose that option!)

For those who have not seen the excellent USMC NCO Swords on the Marlow White website (www.militarysabers.com), below are a couple of pictures from that site. The quality of these "certified" swords (from WKC in Germany) is outstanding! I have to tell you, I saw a cheap import NCO Sword within the last week, and it was horrible... Whereas the Marlow White swords are like a fine Winchester or Marlin, the cheap sword I saw was like, well... Well, you wouldn't want Jeremy or any other Marine carrying one, that's for sure!

Jeremy's 32" NCO Sword is now on order and it will have a very special "personalized" laser-etching that he chose -- but you'll have to wait for him to show us that after he takes the pictures. Due to the significant amount of $$ we raised, I made an executive decision to include a padded sword case with the purchase, to properly protect & preserve this special heirloom for Jeremy and his family.

Please be a little patient as we wait for Jeremy to post some pictures of his new NCO Sword, as the company quotes "up to 10 days for etching" and "up to 6 days" for delivery. But I would expect Jeremy to have the sword within 2 weeks time.

In addition to the sword purchase, I am also pleased to report that a check for $446.00 is being mailed to Fisher House Foundation Inc. on Monday morning, from all of us at Leverguns.com.

Jeremy had previously selected this charity "If there was any excess..." as they helped his family and young son Evan once before. I have to tell you, I was VERY IMPRESSED after browsing this organization's website (www.fisherhouse.org). What they do for our veterans and their families is outstanding!

Their mission is this: "Supporting America's military in their time of need, we provide 'a home away from home' that enables family members to be close to a loved one at the most stressful time -- during hospitalization for an illness, disease or injury."

* The homes are normally located within walking distance of the treatment facilities or have transportation available. There are 38 Fisher Houses on 18 military installations and nine VA medical centers. Five more are now under construction or in design or planning. Houses can accommodate 16 to 42 family members in 8 to 21 suites.

* During the year 2006, their highlights included: Families served = > 10,000; Average length of stay = 12-14 days; Average stay (for combat casualties) = 45-60 days; Average occupancy level = 90%; Average cost per day to veteran or family = ZERO.

* All the above saved the veterans' families more than $10 Million Dollars in lodging costs, plus food and transportation!

* Since 1990, Fisher House has offered 2,500,000 days of lodging to more than 110,000 proud veterans and family members.

Wow... What more can I say...

Well, I think that just about wraps this up, except for a few more thank you's...

Thank You to Jeremy, for humbly accepting our gift and gratitude for his service to our country. Wear the sword with pride, and pass this act of kindness along. (And don't forget to post the pictures of your sword and dress blues!) I'm not a Marine, but I hope you'll allow me to say to you... Semper Fi!

Thank You to Hobie, for allowing all these "off topic" posts and for using sticky's where needed. Thanks also for the support and ideas you offered me by e-mail. Tight groups to you!

Thank You to the Leverguns Honor Roll Members for without you this never would have happened. Good shooting to all!

As for me... I have thoroughly enjoyed the richness of this experience. Without trying to sound too sentimental, my dear Father (a WWII Vet of the 4th Fighter Group) is approaching his meeting with Our Lord (the last few weeks have been pretty tough...) and this project has been a bright spot which has brought me immense joy and personal satisfaction. That's all the thanks I need...
Thank you for allowing me to serve you.

God Bless You, America and our Military!!!

Old No7
Last edited by Old No7 on Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Thanks Old No 7 for all of your efforts. 1886.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

A HUGE "thank you" to you Old No7 for organizing such a worthy endeavor! :D :D :D
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Many thanks to Old no. 7 and all you fellas!!! That is a beautiful sword indeed. :D :D :D
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

My hats off to you Old No7, good deed and good job. My thoughts and prayers to your father, thank him for me for his service.
Ricky

DWWC
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

Thanks, Old No7, for helping to bring out the best in us...
Tom & son
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Thanks, Old No7 and God bless your Father.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
stormspotter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by stormspotter »

Old No7, our thoughts and prayers are with you. May you and your father find peace and comfort in the days to follow.

Leonard
Republic. I like the sound of the word. It means people can live free, go or come, buy or sell, be drunk or sober, however they choose. Some words give you a feeling. Republic is one of those words that makes me tight in the throat . . . . Some words can give you a feeling that makes your heart warm. Republic is one of those words.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Old no 7, thank you for putting this together and doing the hardwork. You and your family are in my prayers with regards to your dad.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Image for all participants, for all those who serve. Many thanks to you for leading the charge on this project. You've done your dad proud I think. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

Very nice! Great idea you had there No7.
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
azoil
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azoil »

This was just incredible. :)

Congrats to all involved in this and #7 for taking the reins. God Speed to you Dad Old #7.
engravertom
Levergunner 2.0

Post by engravertom »

Prayers for your Dad...

take care,

Tom
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Old No7 sent me an email update. UPS Says the Sword should be here on wednesday about a week and half sooner then the estimate on the web site. I feel like a kid the day before Christmass.

I hope y'all are ready for a HUGE picture post when it showes up :D .
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

JReed, Huge picture spread is REQUIRED :D , can't wait to see it!!!!
Ricky

DWWC
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Hope I'm not traveling then - I'll need the high-speed connection!

Looking forward to the pic's!!! :D
canonsix
Levergunner 2.0

Post by canonsix »

Old No7 thanks for the great job, and know that you and your Dad are in our prayers. Doug
a armed man is his own master
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

THE SWORD HAS ARRIVED!!!!! :D :D :D

I will take some pics tonight after my son's cub scout meeting and post them just to give you all a teaser. :D :D

Thanks again to all ofyou. Not only did you all give me a most wonderfull gift but you also raised money for a good cause. When my youngest son was 3 weeks old he had to be medivaced from 29Palms to Balboa Naval Hospital in San Diego for a respitory infection. He had to stay in hospital for 3 days. For those that don't know 29Palms and San Diego are about 150 miles apart needless to say driving back and forth several times a day was out of the question. We called all the local motels and they were all booked or beyond our means. The hospital staff directed us to The Fisher House right next door. Our stay was free, there was food in the kitchen on a self help basis the rooms had TV/cable phone all the things you look for in a hottel. When we left and brought our son home I left a 20 donation in the box by the door (it was all I could give at the time and still have gas money to get home) . They really saved us in an already stressful situation. So I am really happy that they are getting a good donation out of this :D :D .

I have handled quite a few of the issue swords. This one is amazing in how it handles and the fit and finish. This thing is awesome!!!
Last edited by JReed on Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
pricecw
Levergunner 1.0

Post by pricecw »

I have handled quite a few of the issue sword. This one is amazing in how it handles and the fit and finish. This thing is awesome!!!
This is as it should be Jeremy, I am honored to be part of this.

Never made it to NCO myself, I was discharged for a broken back after two years, but my brothers sword was one of the cheaper ones. A Marine deserves a quality sword, wear it proudly!

--Carl
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

JReed wrote:THE SWORD HAS ARRIVED!!!!! :D :D :D
ImageImageImage
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Cool. I look forward to seein pics of it and you wearin it.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

Pricecw couldn't have stated it any better when he said "A Marine deserves a quality sword." I, too, am honored to be a part of this.
Well done is better than well said.
stormspotter
Levergunner 2.0

The sword has arrived

Post by stormspotter »

Glad it's here.

Can't wait for the pictures.
Republic. I like the sound of the word. It means people can live free, go or come, buy or sell, be drunk or sober, however they choose. Some words give you a feeling. Republic is one of those words that makes me tight in the throat . . . . Some words can give you a feeling that makes your heart warm. Republic is one of those words.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

The pic's have been posted!!! Look for Jeremy's post below!!! :D :D :D
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Beings this is a sticky I think pictures of him wearing his sword should be posted here. I hope he has dress blues.
Old Law Dawg
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

kimwcook wrote:Beings this is a sticky I think pictures of him wearing his sword should be posted here. I hope he has dress blues.
I'm sure they will be. The first pics were quick ones - Jeremy's out this weekend on his annual hog hunt. Don't worry - he's shooting the piggies, not hacking them with his new sword!!! :shock:
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Yes I will post them here. I just got home about 2 hours ago and as it is late I will take pics tomorrow and post them. No I didn't use my sword on piggies :wink: :D .
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Tempted for a mili-second, I'm sure! :wink:

We knew you wouldn't. Jeremy - take your time - you are probably exhausted!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Pics

Post by JReed »

OK OK I had some time to gets some pics for you all this evening. :wink: :D Thank you all again.

:D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

That is just awesome! Great pics Jeremy!!! 8) 8) 8)

And it is us, who are thanking you! Thank you for your service to our great country!!! Thank you to your thoughtful and entertaining posts here! And thanks to raising a pair of boys - our next generation - so well!!! :D
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Outstanding Marine !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Semper Fi
Ricky

DWWC
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Thank you again for your service sir!

Very sharp.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

SWORD Pictures and HONOR ROLL Update!

Post by Old No7 »

Awesome pictures of the sword and dress blues!!!

Thanks for sharing those Jeremy!!! That's what we all wanted to see!!!

FYI to you and all others, the HONOR ROLL of donors was updated this evening to recognize a very generous donation by Thunder50.

He sent a check out weeks ago, but I never got it... Seeing all these sword posts, he followed through on his pledge and sent out a replacement check, which will be sent along to the Fisher House; Jeremy's selected charity. Thank you Thunder50!

Thanks again for showing us the dress blues!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Old No7 I was going to email them to you I still can if you would like. Or for anyone that wants all of the pics they are on my Photobucket album linked in my sig line.

Thanks again to all of you most of all to Old No7 who put this together and to Thunder50. Thunder50 offered via email to send me a check for the sword before he saw all the posts on Project Sword and I refered him to what you all were doing. Thanks again.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Sword pix...

Post by Old No7 »

Thanks for the offer to e-mail the pix Jeremy, but I already did the "right click, copy, save as" routine. I've got a few family members and friends who were following this developing story who want to see them... (Of course, I should just sent them a link to this thread, but for some reason, they want pictures?) Oh well, at least they don't want our leverguns!!! :wink:

By the way, after being involved with all this sword activity over the last many weeks, it inspired me to borrow my Dad's original 1864 Civil War cavalry sword-- looks very similar in blade shape to the NCO Sword, so I'll post some pictures of that later. It sure doesn't look as nice as yours, but then again...

Both of these swords would have some great stories to tell, if only they could talk!

Semper Fi!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I look forward to seeing pics of your fathers sword. How is he by the way?
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
pricecw
Levergunner 1.0

Post by pricecw »

Jeremy, the sword and you in your Blues look great.

Old No7, there is a reason for the similarity, from

http://www.marines.com/page/usmc.jsp?pa ... irect=true
The Noncommissioned Officer's (NCO) Sword

The sword symbolizes the military virtues and traditions maintained by noncommissioned officers, or NCOs. The sword's origins are based in the decisions to discontinue the officer's Mameluke sword and replace it with the Cavalry sword. Unpopular with many officers, the Corps reverted back to the original saber. When the Commandant officially switched the officer sword back, he decided to present the 1858 Cavalry sword to the NCOs in recognition of their leadership in combat. The NCO sword remains the oldest weapon in the U.S. services still in continued use. Only the Marine Corps has this distinction.
I remembered this from training, but wanted to find the quote from the Corps.

--Carl
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Great job Old No7,
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Thanks to pricecw for the sword info! I will post a separate "OT" message with pictures of my Dad's 1864 Civil War Sword later tonight!

Thanks also to Jeremy for asking about my Dad... He's "just ok", but visibly weaker when I saw him on Saturday, than just a couple of weeks ago. He hasn't shot a round in a year +, due to failing eyes, and now he can't read his beloved gun magazines (yes, I caught this "disease" from him). But like any Good Soldier *, he is "ready to go", when he is "called up"... Don't wanna see him go, but we don't want to see him suffer either. Right now, he seems to be suffering "mentally" more, because his mind is still very sharp, so he's vErY fRuStRaTeD by what he can't do. All he can do... is wait... (*Army Air Corp actually, one of the first yanks on an RAF base which was one of the first Eagle Squadrons.)

(Sorry to take this thread on a tangent...)

Thanks also to others for the kind words about the Project Sword idea. Remember, just like the Panama Canal, it was only an idea -- but someone had to build it -- and that's what our HONOR ROLL team did!

Old No7
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Well know that you and your dad are in my prayers.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Looking good Jeremy!!! :D :D :D
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

How does one display this "honor roll", which is highlighted in orange in a few posts? I thought if I clicked on it, it would send me to the "honor roll", but when I do, nothing happens. I, as a contributor, would like to see my name on this "honor roll", IF it exists. What do I do? jd45
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

jd45 the honor roll is on the first page your on there I just checked.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

Thanx Jeremy, I see it now.......can't understand how I missed it. My apologies. You & your sword look great in your dress blues.....congrats! jd45
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

The orange color is a little hard to read unless you take your time. Thank you for being part of this.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Great photo's Jeremy, thanks for posting and by the way I'm sure glad we're on your side! :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Excellent photos, Jeremy. That sword FITS! You do it proud. :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
danthegunman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by danthegunman »

Way to go "DEVIL DOG!!!
That which does not kill us makes us stronger!

Dan Printz/Gunsmithing
The Firing Pin
Call Before You Shoot!

http://www.danthegunman.com
dan@danthegunman.com
Semper Fi
John14:6 <((><
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

:D
Jeremy