special order or fake?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

special order or fake?

Post by pokey »

what say ye?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =135569776

forearm wood doesn't fit as well as i'd like. but....
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Re: special order or fake?

Post by Kansas Ed »

IF it was legit, he would have offered proof of such. There are more things wrong with that rifle than I can name. Caveat Emptor....IE: BS walks and talks....

Ed
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

It appears to me to be a cut down (magazine) carbine. The front sight is set back for the front barrel band. The buttstock COULD be original, but I would like to see a Cody letter on that one. It looks as though the wood has been refinished, too.
Kind of reminds me of the "all original" gun on GB last week or so that was being sold by an ex-con female ?, and later a completely different listing the second time around.
What else is wrong in the picture for our education?
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Detachable sling swivles?
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

The rifle will letter and that's the only way to prove the original configuration.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

20cows wrote:Detachable sling swivles?
Yup. That WAS a factory option. The sling was equipped with hooks that fit the bases on the rifle.

There is no cut on the barrel for a 'carbine' front band.

Remember -- almost anything could be had from Winchester, for a price.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[what say ye?]

It COULD BE a gennie.

My 1907-made .32-20 Model 1892 looked almost exactly like that .38-55, with factory button mag, rifle butt and carbine front/rear sights.

71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

That rifle is too late to letter.

It could be correct, but not likely. Closer inspection is required for the following:
The two pieces of wood don't match - the finish and color are different, and the forend is sanded below the metal, while the butt is proud.
The mag tube bluing is different color than the barrel - could be a replacement.
It would be very unusual for a rifle butt to be on a SRC

I do believe the front end configuration may be correct - half mag and barrel look OK. I am guessing replacement butt stock and mag tube, maybe even forend, band, and mag cap.
Chad
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Though someone may have done it, I can't imagine special ordering a rifle buttstock on a carbine. I would bet against that one given some of the other issues already mentioned.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

My initial response may have been hasty. I was looking for something which I thought was incorrect, and stumbled across this...
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.a ... =135759209

So, while I would still demand a letter for that kind of money, I may have been wrong on my first post.

Ed
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Kansas Ed wrote:My initial response may have been hasty. I was looking for something which I thought was incorrect, and stumbled across this...
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.a ... =135759209

So, while I would still demand a letter for that kind of money, I may have been wrong on my first post.

Ed
see now, that one looks more correct to me.
aside from the marbles folding rear, it looks right to me,
not the kind of condition i would pay that much for though.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

It's a fake. Look real close at picture #5. Right in front of the front sight is the tracks were the original front barrel band was. It's somebodies kitchen table classic.
win94b.jpg
I wouldn't buy it even if I did have the money.

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Thanks guys, its educational to see these posted.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

It is not all that unusual to see SRCs with rifle butts, especially the 1894s. As suggested, that gun is a cobbled together piece that seller probably knew was too high a number to letter. Records for the '94 end at number 353999. Sadly, this type of BS is becoming commonplace in the collectable firearm market. Fakes have been around for decades, but the problem appears to be escalating. This market has always been a buyer beware and be aware situation.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Here is one that is similar that I own. It came from the original owner that ordered it this way. I don't know if it will help.

"That'll Be The Day"
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Not knowing any better, I expect the answer could be "Both".

Might be Special Order (Saddle Ring) and modified (mag & wood). Can't say, but it would still technically make it a "special order"...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

The guy shoots 2.5" groups offhand at 100 yards. Those are one shot groups by the way.
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

While some of us have opinions for and nay, I lean for! Joes eyes must be better than mine as I dont see what he does. I do belive the stock could be refinished. Had I lived in those days when you could special order, I would have special ordered that stock too as I am a big guy. I just am not that big of a pestimist on this rifle as most of you.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I have no opinion as to it's legitimacy, but I always cringe when a gun that can't be lettered is offered up with special features. Seems that sort of thing is quite common, and I wonder how many special order guns were made after records stopped?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

The answer is many more than we realise. Special order guns didn't cease because records were lost. The situation is that some folks are able to do the equivalent of photoshop with guns. They can create an illusion of what could be factory work. We must enter the arena with eyes open and make the determination for ouselves whether or not a gun is "good".
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Curious, but I thought 1908 production was still in the records? When did the individual records stop?

Ed
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Kansas Ed wrote:Curious, but I thought 1908 production was still in the records? When did the individual records stop?

Ed
Here you go: http://www.bbhc.org/firearms/CFMSerialN ... t_2008.pdf

The last recorded 1894 is around serial 354,000. This corresponds to 1906 by Madis' numbers, but we now know Madis' numbers were off by as much as 3 years. Anyway, the number is what matters, not the year - nothing past 354k.
Chad