.357 Marlin is a picky eater?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

.357 Marlin is a picky eater?

Post by awp101 »

Sometime back I picked up an older 1894 carbine in .357. No idea HOW old but it is a pre-safety.

At the time I only had some lead SWC rounds on hand in both .38 and .357. It doesn't want to feed them reliably. Last weekend I picked up some Blazer 158g SJHP and it fed almost flawlessly. Almost because a couple of times I think I short stroked it and it choked, no surprise there. It also fed round nose FMJ .38s but it wasn't near as accurate with them.

This may have been addressed on the old board but since I can't see it I thought I'd ask on the new one and besides, we get new readers every day.:lol:

What can I do/should I do/do I need to do to get it to feed SWC or should I just stick with FMJ and SJHP/JHP?

Also I noticed I had to have the rounds at just the right angle for them to go into the mag tube. Otherwise the nose of the round would get buggered. Any solutions for that or just pay more attention when loading?

Thanks!:D
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

The cast 158gr swc bullets I get from my buddy (15years now) don't have a crimp groove so I've always just roll crimped over the front driving band. My Marlin gobbles them right up. A friends early puma has always fed them well too. My loads were developed for this seating and crimping method so the powder charge is lowered from the original book data I had for the slightly shorter overall length. YRMV as no two guns are the same but that's what's always worked for me.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Marlin does not recomend Blazer ammo for the marlin 1894`s and they say don`t use them in the operator manual.
I understand CCI is now making brass cased blazers so that may have changed.
I do not think FMJ ammo in a tubular magazine is a good idea either.
For what its worth,my 1894 .357 feeds just about any bullet as slick as any other but the RNFP type of bullets are the best. :)
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:Marlin does not recomend Blazer ammo for the marlin 1894`s and they say don`t use them in the operator manual.
I understand CCI is now making brass cased blazers so that may have changed.
I do not think FMJ ammo in a tubular magazine is a good idea either.
I bought it used, no manual, so I didn't know.

The .38 rounds were round nosed, not spitzers so I didn't think there'd be an issue.

OTOH if I'm thinking, I'm usually working without tools...;)
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

There are aftermarket kits to slick up the feeding. I'd give Nate Kiowa Jones a holler, as this is his stock and trade. May as well have him slick up the whole thing.

As for the .38's not shooting well for ya, you might need to load them a little hotter. You're probably not sealing the chamber, and getting some blow by.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Travis Morgan wrote:There are aftermarket kits to slick up the feeding. I'd give Nate Kiowa Jones a holler, as this is his stock and trade. May as well have him slick up the whole thing.

As for the .38's not shooting well for ya, you might need to load them a little hotter. You're probably not sealing the chamber, and getting some blow by.
That's probably what's going to happen. And I might as well send him my .45 Puma as well.:lol:

Once I FINALLY get started reloading (only had the equipment for a year or so :roll: ) I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks all!:D
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

AWP,

Just send 'em to me. I'll hang on to 'em for ya, and see that they're properly loved.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Travis Morgan wrote:AWP,

Just send 'em to me. I'll hang on to 'em for ya, and see that they're properly loved.
They get lovin but it's like any other family, you have to divide your time so no one feels neglected...:lol:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

awp101,

The 1894CS I had was a bit picky about SWC bullets too. More so if they were 38s. But it fed jacketed HPs and SPs like pouring water through a funnel.
I would explore some fine tuning were it mine. My 1894 Cowboy in .45 Colt will feed anything. I don't see why a .357 should be any different.

JMHO

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
cecil
Levergunner

Post by cecil »

The Marlin 1894 seem to be very picky about not exceeding COL. When i compare a Win 94 in 44mag to the the Marlin version, the chamber entrance on the Win appears to have been beveled. It feeds hp's/swc that the the Marlin chokes on.

Have had two Marlin 1894 357 levers, the newer one was a very picky feeder with the catridges needing to be alighned just right to feed into the tube. All the sharp inner edges and very over powered recoil spring made it a real pain.

There was an area on the frame that needed beveled, so cartridges wouldn't hang up on the entrance to the mag tube. A 44 mag version had the beveling, the 357 version did not. This required an almost complete tear down of the rifle, and was a pain in the posterior.

Would strongly advise having a professional/factory go over your rifle. While the rifle is apart, might be a good time for the following.
bevel the chamber entrance slightly
bevel the under edges of the loading gate (if neccessary)
bevel the portion of the frame leading to the mag tube, if neccessary
gon2shoot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gon2shoot »

My Puma did't care for SWC either, I switched it to 158 cast RNFP and never looked back. It will put 10 rounds in a 2in circle at about 40 yards.
grit yer teeth an pull the trigger