Don't 'Ya Hate Deburring

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Don't 'Ya Hate Deburring

Post by Sixgun »

I hate deburring brass after trimming. I usually do this in lots of 100 or more and its a royal pain in the butt to use the little Wilson tool---flip--flip-flip..... Anyway, I know there are motorized tools to do this easily but I am a thrifty/cheap guy. I bought (after using the junky one for 30+ years) one of these hand Lyman deburring tools that does the inside and the outside of the case at the same time for $15. I drilled a hole in the end and tapped it for 10-20 threads which I screwed in a headless bolt.

I realize that to most of the "old schoolers" here that this is old hat, but maybe the newer guys into reloading can benefit by this. When I started reloading, we never had Al Gore's invention.

I chucked that baby in the drill press, ran the press at low speed and did a 100 32 Spls. in about 2 minutes. (I really don't know the time, but it was fast.) I imagine someone could do the same with a handdrill in a vise.-----------Sixgun

Skittles got jealous and demanded to get in the post with her '94.

Image,

Image,

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Looks like your guard dog likes your 94. :wink: Looks like he could take your leg off iff`n he wanted to. :D
I use one of the old RCBS ones for most everything but my BR rifle. I have a custom made tool set just for the 6MM BR.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

That is a good looking tool. I am envious of you fellas with a drill press and a lathe. I use the RCBS case prep center. It is real handy. 1886.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

It's funny how different reloaders like/dislike different tasks. I love de-burring/chamfering, but detest trimming! Go figure.

scott
8)
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Howdy,
I know that there is a whole bunch of ways to skin a cat. Some more expensive that others. Back when I was competing High Power rifle approx. 600 cases a month plus the giggles shooting :lol: I finally purchased a 3 way cutter from RCBS. Didn't want to spent any more time trimming and deburring that I had to. Love it, never looked back.

John
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Chamfering and deburring? I just bell the mouths! No, seriously, that's a great looking tool. I don't shoot much rifle ammo, and don't get much stretch to where I have to trim & de-burr.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
anachronism
Levergunner

I use a Gracey trimmer....

Post by anachronism »

I use a Gracey trimmer. It chamfers the case, inside & out as I trim. Plus I can completely trim & chamfer a case in under 8 seconds. It only cost me a little over $300.00 to be able to say that.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Cool! 8)
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

1886 wrote:That is a good looking tool. I am envious of you fellas with a drill press and a lathe. I use the RCBS case prep center. It is real handy. 1886.
A drill press is a must have for guncranks. A lathe is great but is usually only useful for the most advanced guncrank. Its surprising how much one can do with a drill press once you get to learn from reading etc.

Here's the kicker--Something I never really knew until I was reloading for 20 years or so-----You can go to Sears and buy a bench top drill press for $99. Mine is about 7 years old, (when they were $89) and I have gotten LOTS of use out of it with no problems at all.---------Sixgun

Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

I am going to make one of those, I hate deburring by hand, thanks for posting :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

I find sizing, trimming, and chamfering tedious too. I use the Lee Case Trimmer & Lock Stud along with their Case Lenght Gauge & Shell Holder and the Lee Chamfer/Deburring tool. It is slow but effective. Takes about 45 minutes to an hour to do 100 cases.
ED
Yer never too old
pokynojoe
Levergunner

Post by pokynojoe »

I found a simple, cheap, and easy solution to this problem years ago:

I have the wife do it. All she has to do all day is work a 12 hour a day job, cook and clean. She's got plenty of time for all those mindless reloading chores. Besides, she's glad to do it for me anyway.

Joe
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

pokynojoe wrote:I found a simple, cheap, and easy solution to this problem years ago:

I have the wife do it. All she has to do all day is work a 12 hour a day job, cook and clean. She's got plenty of time for all those mindless reloading chores. Besides, she's glad to do it for me anyway.

Joe
Goodness, Ask her if she would mind another husband! :D

pokynojoe
Levergunner

Post by pokynojoe »

She's been trying to run me off for about 30 years and hasn't succeeded yet. Ya never know though.

On a more serious note, that's a pretty neat fix, to a tedious task.

Best regards
Joe