Trigger on 788 Remington

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Willys1948
Levergunner

Trigger on 788 Remington

Post by Willys1948 »

I have a model 788 Remington and the trigger on it is pretty bad. Is there anyone out there that has some tricks to make this more crisp or should I just go buy a Timney and replace it. $100 for a Timney seems like a lot to go on a beater gun. Shoots really good though.

Ja
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: Trigger on 788 Remington

Post by Terry Murbach »

WELL NOW, SINCE YOU'RE NEW HERE AND DID NOT FOLLOW THE OT RULES WE CANNOT TELL YOU THAT HERE.
SOOOO....YOU HAVE A LEVER MOUNTED ON THAT RIFLE AND WE WILL NOT ONLY TELL YOU HOW TO HAVE A 2lb TRIGGER ON THAT GUN CHEAP WE'LL TELL YOU WHERE TO GO TO BUY ONE IF YOU CANNOT DO IT YOURSELF.
MAKE THE LEVER LOOK LIKE A MARLIN TEXAN AND WE'LL EVEN PAY FOR THE TRANSMORPHADICATION.

gotcha.....
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Welcome! You did not specify in which caliber your 788 is chambered, but I can tell you what has worked well on my two 788's in .30-30. If you install a set screw on the backside of the trigger block you can adjust the sear engagement. Works like a charm. :mrgreen:
w30wcf
Last edited by w30wcf on Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Ooops! double post.
w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I VERY carefully stoned mine (.223) on the engaging surfaces, and it helped a bit. I like the set-screw idea though...

any pictures...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
44magHunter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44magHunter »

AJMD429 wrote:I VERY carefully stoned mine (.223) on the engaging surfaces, and it helped a bit. I like the set-screw idea though...

any pictures...?
Your right it did help. I really like thew trigger on yours. I would say it is almost as good as the Encore. :D
Levergun: Marlin, Ruger, Hornaday, Henry, Williams, Leupold
Black Gun: AeroPrecision, Magpul, Streamlight, Remington, McMillan, Sierra, Badger Ordinance, Harris, Jewel Triggers, Leupold
Archery: Hoyt, GoldTip, Axcel/TruBall, FeatherVision, Specialty, AAE, VaneTec, Doinker, ZeroTolerance, TopHat, Leupold
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Terry Murbach wrote:WELL NOW, SINCE YOU'RE NEW HERE AND DID NOT FOLLOW THE OT RULES WE CANNOT TELL YOU THAT HERE.
SOOOO....YOU HAVE A LEVER MOUNTED ON THAT RIFLE AND WE WILL NOT ONLY TELL YOU HOW TO HAVE A 2lb TRIGGER ON THAT GUN CHEAP WE'LL TELL YOU WHERE TO GO TO BUY ONE IF YOU CANNOT DO IT YOURSELF.
MAKE THE LEVER LOOK LIKE A MARLIN TEXAN AND WE'LL EVEN PAY FOR THE TRANSMORPHADICATION.

gotcha.....
I like the cut of your jib young man... :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

The 788 trigger can be made into a super hunting or target trigger . with a roll pin , set screw and ball point spring , you drill 2 holes and 1 is tapped for set screw and the other is for the roll pin . I can draw it out if anyone is interested .
Image..Image
Image......Image
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Terry Murbach wrote:WELL NOW, SINCE YOU'RE NEW HERE AND DID NOT FOLLOW THE OT RULES WE CANNOT TELL YOU THAT HERE.
Ah, Come on Terry---He can't be all bad, he likes Jeeps. :D Hey! tell him to give you that '48 Willy's for any questions answered.-----------Sixgun

Oh! The 788 trigger. Leave it alone--just clean it out with Gun Scrubber and add a little synthetic oil. Its not a bench rest gun. (although they shoot like 'em) :D
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Wrangler John
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wrangler John »

I did the trigger conversion on my .223 back in the '80's, or was it the '90's? Just bought the Timney last month so I could shoot varmint without straining my finger. Ordered the 1.5 pound Timney - it's worth the money. That cheapo 788 is a really light walking around gun that has accounted for many a ground squirrel. I routed out my stock's forend and cast an aluminum channel in it using Devcon aluminum epoxy, then glassed the action with the barrel free floating. It may be cheap, but it sure shoots, although the Leupold scope is worth more than the rifle. Sort of a retro reverse status thing where your suit is worth more than the car you drive. Come to think of it, my boots are worth more than three of my cars!
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

There is the simple way and the real simple way. First use some lapping compound (available from auto stores) on the contact surfaces and run the trigger a few 50 times lol. Gun scrubber it all out and Tetra Gun Grease the contact surfaces. Enjoy!!!

I did this on my 788 .22-250 and it really helped.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
Bullet Bob

Post by Bullet Bob »

"on my two 788's in .30-30"

So that's why I can never find one of those!
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

I did over 20 of these 20 year ago in my shop . My silhouette gun was a 788 and the stock trigger would adjust down below 1lbs after mod and have a safe sear engagement . This the best I can remember what it looks like .

Image..Image
Image......Image