OT-American made camping gear

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
model55
Levergunner 3.0

OT-American made camping gear

Post by model55 »

Is there a company that makes their gear here?Went to replace a Coleman lantern globe and saw that they are made in China which brought about this question.I want to slowly upgrade my camping gear( broke! ) and am not fond of supporting China under the present circumstances.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT-American made camping gear

Post by Pete44ru »

Montana, IIRC:

http://www.brunton.com/

model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Wow! could have used the coffee maker ,went to the Pinnicales with the understanding that the other party brought the food, me the gear. They brought no coffee. :roll: Only had one lantern because of a broken globe and once I replaced it broke the other unloading the car :twisted: just in time for some of the other half's church members to caught me in a moment of weakness blaspheming :oops: long weekend.Any way I'll check this out seems I passed by that brand a lot will have to take another look.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Check out Wiggy's for American-made sleeping bags and bivi shelters. I needed a lightweight packable sleeping bag and bivi sack that I could use on early season hunts. I too, had a problem sending my money to China, so I paid a few more bucks and went with these guys. I've been pretty happy with them.

http://wiggys.com/index.html

For other gear, I've heard of this company, but have never used their products. EZ Sales & Manufacturing.

http://www.ezsalesinc.com/
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

It wouldn't be made in the U.S. either but the best lantern you can buy is a Petromax. they are called different things in different countries. As far as I know they are the highest quality made anywhere today. Here's just one link. http://www.britelyt.com/
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Another vote for Wiggy's I've used one of his sleeping pads and poncho liner for years and they are still in great shape. Worth the money imho.
Two more sleeping bag manufacturers that are still made in the US are Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends. I've never used any of the WM stuff but I have several of the Feathered Friends bags and they have no equal in quality. I have a down bag they made that's rated to 20 degrees,weighs around 2 pounds and packs down really small. I bought it when I was still an active duty grunt and had gotten tired of "travel light,Freeze at night" :wink: For about the weight and pack space of a poncho liner I had a nice warm bed. It's had a tough life and is still going strong.

http://www.featheredfriends.com/ They ain't cheap but You only have to buy them once.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Try www.johnsonoutdoors.com

They are out of Racine, WI and make the tents for the military.
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

thanks for all the replies all good info.
cjm135
Levergunner 1.0

Post by cjm135 »

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

I know we will be at the final straw, if I ever see MAGLITE made in China! :shock: http://www.maglite.com/Mag_commitment.asp
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

It really is discouraging, isn't it. I'm not sure a guy could live China-free without wearing a loin cloth and sticking bunnies with a spear any more ...
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Bill in Oregon wrote:It really is discouraging, isn't it. I'm not sure a guy could live China-free without wearing a loin cloth and sticking bunnies with a spear any more ...

I saw a news segment a year or so ago where a family tried to live "China-Free" for a year Food,clothing,etc. In the end they could not do it since quite a few items are no longer made in the U.S. or non-Chinese countries at all. :cry: She wrote a book about the experience iirc.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Got totally disgusted with Cold Steel when they took their manufacturing to CHINA...

Their TrailMaster Bowie, Recon Scout, and Master Hunter knives were the best of their breed, when made here in the US of A.

I'da' paid a bit more to buy American-made CS knives.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Can relate to the loin cloth thing because I've been looking for american jeans-haven't found any in my area.
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

model55 wrote:Can relate to the loin cloth thing because I've been looking for american jeans-haven't found any in my area.

Diamond brand jeans. Only ones still made in the good ol' USA that I'm aware of.

http://www.gussetclothing.com/
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

Be sure you're sitting down when you see my photo...

I was in Walmart looking for a flat "sandwich skillet" and found one that had a nice heavy bottom that looked like it would heat up nice and even. Imagine my surprise when I turned it over and saw this->

and yeah... I really DID buy this at Walmart - for a price the same as other Chinese-made sandwich skillets I'd looked at and rejected as being too cheap and flimsy. It works great and grills a really mean Reuben. :D
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Put the jeans on my favorites.