30-30 Ammo. ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

30-30 Ammo. ?

Post by cshold »

Just picked up a couple boxes of 125 gr. hollow points for a good price.
What do you guys that use them, use them for?
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 30-30 Ammo. ?

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Those would be good ranch defense loads :)

I think they are intended for varmints but will blow a large exit hole, so not good for pelts...

Other than that, target practice.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Thanks, was just curious as to if anyone used then on deer, and if so what the results were. Normally I use 150 gr. Win. P.P. for deer.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Use 'em for livestock killing dogs, coyotes, possums, skunks, groundhogs and them big ole snappin turtles.

Ed
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Thanks guys,

I may never use them, but will keep them on hand.
Hard to pass up an unopend box of ammo. for less than
$10.00 a box in this day & age. :)
rhead
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rhead »

I have used them on deer in a Handi rifle and also a contender. In both cases the deer died within a few steps.
The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

Long ago, my brother bought some for deer hunting(they were cheap). The results were less than stellar. Big entry holes, not much penetration, lots of drop after 100yards, and a lot of wasted meat were the rule. He went back to 150s. I think I still have the leftover (partial) box he gave me. He said never again and considering, I helped cut up the deer harvested, I'll never use them either for deer.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

We 'use' them as DECOYS to have the gun dealers keep on the shelf for other people to buy, so we can have the good stuff... :wink: :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Those would just BlowUp a ground hog or possem or feral cat/dog.......Mess up too much meat on a deer, but would be ok if that's all ya had.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Depends on what bullet they're loaded with. You can sometimes find Winchester .30-30 ammo for $10 on sale.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Kapincrunch
Levergunner

Post by Kapincrunch »

I have shot quite a few 125 grain hollow points reloads. They are an explosive bullet designed for big game. As stated before they would also serve well as a self-defense round. Would probably be the best man stopper. Unlike some, I like the bullet to do more than just poke a hole through the deer. 125 grain hollow points will do the trick.

Here are the negatives. They start out very fast but they dont fly very flat because of their poor b.c. Point of aim will be very different than with any other load you put through the gun. My Marlin will shoot 150 grain Fed bullets and 160 grain Hornady LE bullets at the same point of impact at 100 yards. the 125 grain bullets may be off as much as 8 inches.

All that said, I was at Bass Pro today and saw Winchesters new hollow point 150 grain bonded bullets. Those would be worth a try and at about $18 they are $4 cheaper than Hornady LE rounds.
pb
DarryH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DarryH »

I have used them on varmints and wild cats and dogs.
On the farm, we often times had feral animals come visiting.

I have used them on squirrels with fun results.
I always make sure I am shooting into the side of a big tree,
so I have to be very careful about choosing my shots.
Head shots pretty much decapitate the squirrels.
They ALWAYS fall dead !

I sell hunting items at work.
I will oftentimes recommend these to someone who is a bit recoil shy.
It is a good starter round for someone who has not shot many larger calibers. A 30-30 seems to be the first high power load for deer sized game, that guys let their wives try for the first time.

Have fun with them!
Good Shootin!!
DarryH
Nebraska
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Kapincrunch wrote:I have shot quite a few 125 grain hollow points reloads. They are an explosive bullet designed for big game. pb

No such thing. The rest of what you wrote about the "poor b.c." was pretty much stuff you made up, too. The 125 gr. loading IS popular with law enforcement,(though not necessarily with the frangible bullets{btw, they're not "explosive", they're "frangible"}) and some smaller rural depts. carry it even to this day.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

DarryH wrote: A 30-30 seems to be the first high power load for deer sized game, that guys let their wives try for the first time.

Have fun with them!
Good Shootin!!
DarryH
Nebraska

A lot of us just buy a second, third, or fourth .30-30 so she can have one and not take ours!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I a farmer friend load several hundred of the Sierra 125 gr hp over IMR 3031 for his use on his farm. Over the years he and his sons have used them to kill groundhogs, deer and more and they are satisfied and wanted more! In my experience one can't load them sufficiently faster than the 150 gr. to give a real ballistic advantage. They are a LOT of fun and useful in the .30 Herrett but they are starting 200 fps slower from that cartridge.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson