My wife is finally getting her carry permit!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

My wife is finally getting her carry permit!

Post by Dave »

She took the class today with one of her friends. It was 8 hours long but it is done. Now all I have to do is write a check. Whoo-hoo! I bought a Ruger LCP for no reason last year and she immediately took to it since she can carry it in a clip on IWB holster with no belt. Any gun is better than no gun so I'm happy.
She said she was really nervous during the qualifier and her hands were shaking and sweating. She has never shot any type of qualifier before. She had all her rounds in the small rectangle until she went to 15 yards and then she put a few out but still not bad.
Here is a pic of her target and my Model 10 she used in the course. Smiths rule!

Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

Re: My wife is finally getting her carry permit!

Post by Tennessee Hayre »

Congrads to your wife. My wife goes out and shoots her .32 semi at the range when I go and wants her permit but keeps telling me she wants to practice more. She shoots well enough but i think she is afraid of failing. I don't know why she feels like that. I hope I can get my daughter to go with her someday and they can do it together.
The Ultimate Authority resides in the people and that if the Federal Goverment got too powerful and over stepped it's authority then the people would develope plans of resistance and resort to arms" _____________________________________James Madison_______

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
Defender Second Amendment
Constitution Party Member
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Praise the Lord another woman that can certainly defend herself from the lowlife types that prey on women. That is what my daughter does to her targets every time she renews her permit.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Good on her - Every female, I've had the pleasure to take shooting, was pretty much a "natural" - waaaay moreso than the males.

horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

YEP, took my Niece and her Husband out shooting. She had never shot a pistol before. He had limited experiance. She took to it like a duck to water and had no bad habits. Only took her less than 10 rds to get the hang of my J frame and then she was keeping all her rounds in the 9 and 10 ring at 10 yards from that point on. He did ok, but IMO she edged him out especially when you consider she had never fired a gun much less a pistol.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

My wife isn't interested in one because she says, " You have one and that's all we'll need."
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Kudos to your wife and to you for the inspiration! :D Back in the early days, most women shunned away from guns----but that sure is changing.

BTW--trade the LCP in on a nice snubby 38 airweight for the wife. More power, more controlable, and less things to think about.

No disrespect intended but a gun that is striker fired could get you killed if the first shot does not go off. Its a lot of trouble to rack the slide to reset the mainspring on a little gun when stress factors are high.----------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Good for your wife and for you. I wish more women would get past the "It scares me." and carry. I'd have a lot less work and they'd be a lot safer.
Old Law Dawg
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Sixgun wrote: trade the LCP in on a nice snubby 38 airweight for the wife. More power, more controlable, and less things to think about.
I'm with you there and there is a Smith 642 in the rack here she could carry. She is set on the LCP though since it is so easy to carry. She can shoot it well but doesn't like to shoot it a lot at one time since it has snappy recoil for her.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Excellent! I have to get Mrs. YK out to the range and have her take the class soon. Always on the list...
zack coyote
Levergunner 1.0

Post by zack coyote »

My wife has had her carry license for about four years now. She took the course with her Colt 1911, but carries a S&W model 60, for ease of use. She walks with confidence where ever she goes. We can't convince her twin sister to do the same, even though she works all hours in Fort Worth.
We'll be remembered for what we've done, not what we have.
www.johndietzstudio.com
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Dave, You tell her that is great shooting!and under that first time stressful situation! "fantastic" She now not only has the ability to protect herself, but has the ability if ever needed to protect her entire family if that circustance ever came about.(lets hope she never has to) Great job for her! I would not want to be the bad guy with her packing and that great shooting! Congratulations! :)
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

:D
Last edited by Nobody on Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

My wife carries her Springfield XD in 9mm with her. Whe got her permit at the same time that I re-newed and we had fun shooting. She wanted to put one in the target between the eyes. She did from 10 yards, and the instructor was a little surprised at her. Here in Texas the Concealed Carry shooting test is timed, and you don't have much leeway on recovering and getting back on target.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
BlueStateSaint
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BlueStateSaint »

COSteve wrote:My wife isn't interested in one because she says, " You have one and that's all we'll need."
My wife won't do it either, and that really gets to me.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

My wife needs to renew hers. She had one years ago. I initially bought her a 4" Python, one of the smoothest double actions I'd ever felt on a handgun, but it was to big for her to carry in her purse and I sold it. Kick myself ever since letting that one go. She's now got a Sig 230 in 380.
Old Law Dawg
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

My wife has no interest in carrying. I guess she thinks I'll be there when/if something happens. I just hope she's right.
NRA Life Member