Looking to Scratch the Itch for a SAA.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Looking to Scratch the Itch for a SAA.

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I was checking out the Uberti website and seen they only have a 1 year warantee. I really cant afford to go for a Colt at this time. Just curious what the opinions here are regarding UBERTI! Are the worth it or would I be better served to bank my money and get a Colt.

http://www.uberti.com/firearms/images/1 ... lue_lg.jpg
Last edited by horsesoldier03 on Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
txpete
Departed Friend

Re: Looking to Scratch the Itch for a SAA.

Post by txpete »

think ruger :D .
DAV life member.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

horsesoldier03 wrote:I was checking out the Uberti website and seen they only have a 1 year warantee. I really cant afford to go for a Colt at this time. Just curious what the opinions here are regarding UBERTI! Are the worth it or would I be better served to bank my money and get a Colt.
Well, for the most part the Ubertis who ever they are sold through and there are several, are good serviceable revolvers and rifles. They are made from modern steel in a modern factory by modern people. They suffer from the same problem every other gun makers single actions suffer from: government interference.
You'll find some great ones, some good ones, and some stinkers. Just like every body else.
Are they worth the money? I say yes. Are they a Colt ... not a chance.
But they don't cost like a Colt either.
I just had a 34 year old Iver Johnson's imported Uberti Cattleman rebuilt by our own Steve Young. It had all be been destroyed by it's original owners back in '75. Steve said it's fine. I have no doubt that it will keep on shooting as long as I don't abuse it.

Would I buy a new Uberti made SA revolver? Yes.

Do I also want a Colt? Absolutely YES.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Uberti, Ruger = Honda
Colt = Harley
Yes one will get you there just as well as the other.
BUT- there’s no feeling like a Colt in your hand or a Harley between your legs. :wink:
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I found a good buy locally on one of the Uberti Cattlemen (Engraved) with the 4 3/4". If I get it, I would imagine that i will continue to shoot standard loads. However, I do reload so curious as to how hot of load they could handle. NO it wont be the 300 gr at 1300 fps. As long as I can put a 250 gr bullet at 1000-1100 fps in a hog or deer and handle the occasional 2 legged vermin if the need arise, I will be totally satisified.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

casastahle wrote:Uberti, Ruger = Honda
Colt = Harley
BUT- there’s no feeling like a Colt in your hand or a Harley between your legs. :wink:
Geeze, you said that one right. :D I'd like to add that a Colt, like a Harley, will get your money back when its time to sell.

Funny thing I have noticed in life. Most young or new-to-the-game motorcycle guys will first buy a Honda. They most always wind up with a Harley or secretly desiring a Harley. Most guys who buy Ruger or other single actions will wind up with a Colt, or at least secretly desiring a Colt.

I'm a guy who has had lots of Rugers and Colts. If I'm going to Alaska to live off the land with only one handgun, its going to be a Ruger, and a new model at that. If my life stays the way it is, the Colts will be the last to go.

If you do decide not to get a Colt, at least go with the Ruger--its AMERICAN made with a lifetime warranty---which ain't needed as I have some from the fifties which have eaten hundreds of pounds of lead and are still running fine.

Tough call but..........you will sleep better if you save the bucks for a Colt. The itch will be scratched :wink: --------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Funny thing, I just got through talking with our own Nate Kiowa Jones (Steve's Gunz) not 10 minutes ago about that very thing and he said that the best affordable pistol is the Ruger, hands down. It has a newer internal design using coil rather than flat springs. He said the very best is US Firearms but for many they are priced out of reach.

For the clones of the Peacemaker, he thinks that EMF's 1873 Great Western II Revolvers are the best in that category. I asked about Colt, Uberti, and Cimarron and he said that the EMFs were his clear favorite.
Last edited by COSteve on Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

horsesoldier,
you can do it, just don't do it all the time.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

One thing to consider is, those who want Colts .... want traditional.
Rugers ain't traditional. Might look like it on the outside, but not where it counts.

JMHO

Oh, I've wanted a Colt SAA since I knew what guns were. Just never had the funds to get one. They are always just out of my range. Maybe someday.
As for Harleys vs Wings .......... naw, ain't got enough wheels on the ground for me.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

:D
Last edited by Nobody on Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Sixgun wrote:
Colt = Harley
Geeze, you said that one right. :D I'd like to add that a Colt, like a Harley, will get your money back when its time to sell.

Funny thing I have noticed in life. Most young or new-to-the-game motorcycle guys will first buy a Honda. They most always wind up with a Harley or secretly desiring a Harley. Most guys who buy Ruger or other single actions will wind up with a Colt, or at least secretly desiring a Colt.
I'm a guy who has had lots of Rugers and Colts. If I'm going to Alaska to live off the land with only one handgun, its going to be a Ruger, and a new model at that. If my life stays the way it is, the Colts will be the last to go.

If you do decide not to get a Colt, at least go with the Ruger--its AMERICAN made with a lifetime warranty---which ain't needed as I have some from the fifties which have eaten hundreds of pounds of lead and are still running fine.

Tough call but..........you will sleep better if you save the bucks for a Colt. The itch will be scratched :wink: --------------Sixgun

That has my name all over it. :D
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

I have a Cimerron version of the Uberti made Colt clone in 357 magnum... it hits point of aim at 25 paces... has not shot loose after 1000 rounds of factory velocity 357 lead and jacketed bullets and it still in perfect time... and the finish is holding up after being carried in a loop holster on horseback... all for about $400 bucks (about 5 years ago)...snakes and other pesty critters seem proud enough to get shot with this pistol- so who am I to poo-poo it?

I would like a $1200 Colt too... but I dont think I'd be as brave about using it as I am the Italian pistol
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Hillbilly wrote:I have a Cimerron version of the Uberti made Colt clone in 357 magnum... it hits point of aim at 25 paces... has not shot loose after 1000 rounds of factory velocity 357 lead and jacketed bullets and it still in perfect time... and the finish is holding up after being carried in a loop holster on horseback... all for about $400 bucks (about 5 years ago)...snakes and other pesty critters seem proud enough to get shot with this pistol- so who am I to poo-poo it?

I would like a $1200 Colt too... but I dont think I'd be as brave about using it as I am the Italian pistol

YOU BRING UP A VERY VALID POINT!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Okay, it's later and I'm parked in Sayre, OK... And after driving since this morning, I’m hungry and am goin’ to eat… but wanted to finish this first… Enjoy, moan, or threaten, the following represents my opinion, and worth every penny you paid, and every hardship I’ve suffered to develop it.

I sorta hate to disagree with everyone that's and even one that hasn't, (as of the time I start this missive)! But truthfully, without more info, can't anyone really give you the answer to your question; INCLUDING ME!

For us to really know whether to recommend a Uberti, or a Colt, is dependent on what you're going to do with it.

But, since I'm no different than anyone else, I'll give you my $.02, anyway.

1st, in the way of advice, I'm REAL LEERY when we're talkin' used SAAs, regardless of maker. Many a CA shooter has destroyed their first SA and dumped off onto an unsuspecting neophyte. Probably not all that many, but even a few give the rest of us a bad name. Now, I'm sure you've heard that: "...this unaltered Uberti was only used for a few matches in cowboy action shooting by my wife..."; well; either drive a hard bargain or steer clear! (Yep, it could be true). Just about any of 'em can be made well again if ya spend enough money!

2nd, in that advice column, whenever someone tells ya, "I had one of them once, and..." whether good or bad, discount same; a representative sample requires more than one! (Bob, peace be unto you, but... I ain't seen either an old or new Uberti with a plastic part near the cylinder... that'd be one of those "show me..." deals).

Lastly in this section; unless you're well acquainted with seller; ALWAYS question his motives for selling, (& sometimes, even them).

I have a few Uberti clones... and, they are what they are, simply replicas of the original. I've seen some good'uns and I know of some what’re less so. One of the Ubertis I have is an EMF Hartford model from the early- mid 90’s. It was a prize that was built by Oglesby & Oglesby into a full blown CAS competition gun. It’s superb… but, it didn’t come outta the box that way. In fact… sometime later EMF stopped using Uberti for this model as they weren’t providing the quality that EMF wanted. They switched to a SA made by Armi San Marco. (Or was that the other way around… I have one of each… but… like any gun that you’re going to use for Cowboy Action Shooting’, you should have the action re-worked by someone familiar with the needs and what it takes to compete in that game. Like Nate Kiowa Jones sez: something like, “… you ain’t goin’ racin’ in grandma’s sedan… you need to do some work on it, even if you’re going into the “stock” class.” Same applies to six-guns used in CAS. And that applies if you buy a Colt, USFA, Uberti, Pietta, or Chiappi-Sport.

If you're going to do any kind of serious fast draw... get a Ruger New Mdl Vaquero. And be prepared to pay thru the nose for necessary modifications.

All of the above notwithstanding, if you just want a SA to hang on the wall, or be a piece of “art”; buy anything that fulfills your visual need.

And if you just want one to take out plinkin’ and informal shooting… here’s my take on how they break down, (leaving Colt out as it’s in a class by itself):

USFA, excellent reputation, everyone that I’ve heard ever bought one sez they’re superb, well built SAs.

EMF Great Western II

Cimarron Evil Roy’s

Taylor’s Smoke Wagons

After those, buy anything you want… and take your chances. While in my opinion, the above listed SAs are good guns… if you are looking for something that will take the abuse of competition, (either CAS or Fast draw), I believe that even those will require some work, and some changing of standard parts.

Also, the same will be true for a Colt… it just ain’t a competition gun outta the box, anymore than any of the others are. So now that I’ve talked about all the other current SA replicas, let’s talk the “REAL THING!”

For the good news, the Colt will hold its value… and in most cases it will appreciate, even if you use it… even if you use it HARD. The only exception to that might be my competition SAs… 3rd Gen Colts that have had several mods done, from Ruger hand springs and plungers, lightened bolts and wire springs vs. flat springs, both sport 4-¾” barrels that started life as 7-½ers! Not exactly “box-stock”. But… if you ever wanna feel two six-guns that have a butter smooth action that feel & sound like the internal parts are made of glass, these two are them! The good news is that I only paid $325 & $600 for the two ‘em! And believe me, no matter what any collector was to say about them… they ain’t goin’ that cheap!

So decide what you want it for, and go from there.

Oh, I didn’t forget you Ruger guys… but he asked about Uberti & Colt, so I stuck tho equivalent frame strength guns.
Last edited by Griff on Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Arkansas Bob wrote:Thank God for this site. I just go kicked off of a site a few days ago for talking badly about Uberti Guns. People in Fast Draw have been shooting wax for so long they have lost touch with reality.

Myself I will never own another Uberti unless its given to me and then I will probably sell it for anything just to get it out of my house. I have no use for a gun that wont hit a 18inch x18inch target at 25 yards and some of the old ones had plastic parts. The cylinder center was actually plastic or some kind of plastic type of material. I wont keep going on about Uberti anymore but I could cuss them for about an hour. I even like the looks of the 1875 Rem copy but for 450 bucks I will just get a Ruger that can shoot anything I put into it.

Get a Ruger if you have to get something right now. If you want to wait then go for the colt. Myself I would rather have a Ruger then a Colt but I understand why a Colt. You also might want to consider US Firearms. They are made in the old Colt factory but on modern CNC machines and they have a fit secound to none. I have never fired one but I can look at the lines and fiting of the gun and tell you that the fitting of parts is second to none. They are expensive like Colts but built better. Still not as strong as a Ruger but nice looking.

Anyway, I like Rugers old and new. If the choice is Uberti or save for a Colt. Please save for a colt.

Plastic Parts ...? Yeah right ..... :roll: The reality is you are condemning the entire bread because of one gun. You like Rugers, great. So do I. But they ain't the do all end all.

1975 vintage Iver Johnson's imported Uberti Cattleman:
Only non steel parts was the brass back strap / trigger guard and wood grips.
This gun took more abuse in it's first week than most guns will take in their life time, it's original owner tried to destroy it: Rebuilt now and this is the results:

Plastic parts in a single action ...... prove it - show me.

Joe
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Griff wrote:check back later, I'm driving but have a lot to say.

I will be sure to wait.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

J Miller wrote:
Arkansas Bob wrote:Thank God for this site. I just go kicked off of a site a few days ago for talking badly about Uberti Guns. People in Fast Draw have been shooting wax for so long they have lost touch with reality.

Myself I will never own another Uberti unless its given to me and then I will probably sell it for anything just to get it out of my house. I have no use for a gun that wont hit a 18inch x18inch target at 25 yards and some of the old ones had plastic parts. The cylinder center was actually plastic or some kind of plastic type of material. I wont keep going on about Uberti anymore but I could cuss them for about an hour. I even like the looks of the 1875 Rem copy but for 450 bucks I will just get a Ruger that can shoot anything I put into it.

Get a Ruger if you have to get something right now. If you want to wait then go for the colt. Myself I would rather have a Ruger then a Colt but I understand why a Colt. You also might want to consider US Firearms. They are made in the old Colt factory but on modern CNC machines and they have a fit secound to none. I have never fired one but I can look at the lines and fiting of the gun and tell you that the fitting of parts is second to none. They are expensive like Colts but built better. Still not as strong as a Ruger but nice looking.

Anyway, I like Rugers old and new. If the choice is Uberti or save for a Colt. Please save for a colt.

Plastic Parts ...? Yeah right ..... :roll: The reality is you are condemning the entire bread because of one gun. You like Rugers, great. So do I. But they ain't the do all end all.

1975 vintage Iver Johnson's imported Uberti Cattleman:
Only non steel parts was the brass back strap / trigger guard and wood grips.
This gun took more abuse in it's first week than most guns will take in their life time, it's original owner tried to destroy it: Rebuilt now and this is the results:

Plastic parts in a single action ...... prove it - show me.

Joe

JOE

Even the COLTS have Black PLATIC Grips!!! :lol:

OK, I will stop being a SMARTMULE!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

JOE

horsesoldier03, what are "PLATIC" grips? Must be something new.
Yeah I know. But I've never seen any single actions with a plastic base pin bushing and that's what Arkansas Bob was talking about. That's why I said: show me. And I ain't from Missouri neither.

Joe
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Just had to HOORAH you! I knew what you meant! :D
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Joe,
If you ever decide to get rid of that IJ, please think of me.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

USFA, made in Hartford CT, under the Blue Dome - $975 MSRP

USFA Rodeo available @ $650 MSRP.

Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Last edited by Nobody on Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I've had nothing but good luck with Uberti guns. I have blackpowder cap and ball revolvers, SAA clones and leveractions, and they are all good guns at good prices. If you want to stick with the traditional, but can't afford the Colt, Uberti is a sound bet. If you are looking for a hard-use gun, go with the Ruger.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

wow, you got a lot of people exited.
buy a ruger now, shoot the @#$%
out of it, hot loads and all.

save up and buy a colt when the funds
become available.

gotta shoot something,

good luck, pokey
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Arkansas Bob wrote:Thank God for this site. I just got kicked off of a site a few days ago for talking badly about Uberti Guns. People in Fast Draw have been shooting wax for so long they have lost touch with reality.

Myself I will never own another Uberti unless its given to me and then I will probably sell it for anything just to get it out of my house. I have no use for a gun that wont hit a 18inch x18inch target at 25 yards and some of the old ones had plastic parts. The cylinder center was actually plastic or some kind of plastic type of material. I wont keep going on about Uberti anymore but I could cuss them for about an hour.
Bull Feathers! :P I think I have an idea as to why you were "kicked off" that site! :lol:

Now, I will agree that everyone should save for a Colts SAA, because everyone should own at least one Colts SAA! 8)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

horsesoldier03 wrote:JOE
No Sir, they're "hard rubber". The imitation grips from the import companies are plastic.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Last edited by Nobody on Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Last edited by Nobody on Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

I have had my share of harleys and colts :lol: .

sold all the colt ssa and made money bought rugers and still shooting the rugers.btw I did keep the pythons and diamondback :lol: .they will throw those in the hole with me :lol: .
I had a cattleman I bought from a friend that needed some money.it was a clunker not saying all are but mine was.

buy a ruger.

pete
DAV life member.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

pokey wrote:wow, you got a lot of people exited.

become available.

gotta shoot something,

good luck, pokey

This is the best I've seen yet--no over-analyzing like the rest of us tarts do--just plain simple English--no Italian junk----Hey!, and I'm half Italian.

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[Hey!, and I'm half Italian.]

I must be, too - after eating all that pizza while growing up in Little Italy (NYC, for those unaware). ;) :mrgreen:

BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

It's just a tool, but what do you want to use it for ? My Ubertis hit stuff at 25 yards. Killed a deer with one last year. The flat springs are the only ones that failed in mine , but they fail in colts too.

As far as Harleys go , I might be old enough to get one . I just don't know about driving around in parade mode all day. :D
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun wrote:
become available.
gotta shoot something,
good luck, pokey
This is the best I've seen yet--no over-analyzing like the rest of us tarts do--just plain simple English--no Italian junk----Hey!, and I'm half Italian.
:P Hey Bub! Whadya mean "tart"? I might be an ol' sourpuss... but a TART? :P :lol: :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

txpete wrote:think ruger :D .
And after 3 or 4 trips back to the factory you MIGHT have some good trading stock.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

mescalero1 wrote:Joe,
I do believe IJ is one I'm taking with me. Besides, I thought you wanted the 25-5?
Arkansas Bob wrote:Dont believe they had plastic parts. Just give me time to show you. I aint use to being called a lier. I dont own the old Uberty that had a plastic center but I'll either have a gunsmith that has worked on them to also tell you are I wil find something in a old write up. I smelted a snake from the begining on this one. When I show you I hope you get over it and move on. I know I will.
Did not call you a liar, just don't believe the plastic parts comment. By all means show me and then maybe I'll believe it.
horsesoldier03 wrote:I was checking out the Uberti website and seen they only have a 1 year warantee. I really cant afford to go for a Colt at this time. Just curious what the opinions here are regarding UBERTI! Are the worth it or would I be better served to bank my money and get a Colt.
horsesoldier originally asked about opinions of Uberti made single actions. They have been pretty much covered. Those who keep saying buy Ruger are actually swinging this thread off topic. Rugers are not traditional single actions. No doubt they are a good serviceable gun, but not all of us like transfer bars and loading with the hammer down.
I've kept it to that and have stated my opinions and experiences.

Joe
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

J Miller wrote:
mescalero1 wrote:Joe,
I do believe IJ is one I'm taking with me. Besides, I thought you wanted the 25-5?
Arkansas Bob wrote:Dont believe they had plastic parts. Just give me time to show you. I aint use to being called a lier. I dont own the old Uberty that had a plastic center but I'll either have a gunsmith that has worked on them to also tell you are I wil find something in a old write up. I smelted a snake from the begining on this one. When I show you I hope you get over it and move on. I know I will.
Did not call you a liar, just don't believe the plastic parts comment. By all means show me and then maybe I'll believe it.
horsesoldier originally asked about opinions of Uberti made single actions. They have been pretty much covered. Those who keep saying buy Ruger are actually swinging this thread off topic. Rugers are not traditional single actions. No doubt they are a good serviceable gun, but not all of us like transfer bars and loading with the hammer down.
I've kept it to that and have stated my opinions and experiences.

Joe

I'll bet some here have OM rugers :D
DAV life member.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

txpete wrote:I'll bet some here have OM rugers :D
Ah, yep, 4-5/8" .357, but it ain't a "traditional six-gun", (IMO). Introducing those is still only part of the picture... others that could then be included would be the Interarms "Virginian" or "Dragooon" for very strong actions, every bit as good as a Ruger. Maybe we should really get OT and discuss the BFR!!! :twisted: Jest joshin', Pete! :P
Last edited by Griff on Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Well I put my uberti in the paper for sale to fund a Ruger Bisley in 45LC . I have 2 that look just like Joe's. I was selling one now and one later when my Lipsey's 44 special comes in. Well my phone rang several times this morning and the gentleman who bought them talked me out of both of them for $575. First day in the paper. That's $50 bucks more than I paid for them 7 years ago. So you can make money on Uberti's. :D I just hope my Lipsey's 44 comes through.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Colt = Harley
Yup-- If you've got enough time & enough spare parts, a Colt can last forever too...

I like getting my money's worth when I buy a Uberti rifle or revolver. And since Beretta bought up A. Uberti & cia., the quality has continually improved.

Where else can I get a made-to-order '73, in my caliber of choice (which happens to be .45 Colt...) or a new SA revolver in just about any configuration I desire?

And if I manage to wear it out (doubtful) I haven't squandered $1500. or so, just to have the privilege of saying I busted the genuine article.

FWIW, I have a late 2nd gen. Colt that is not nearly as well fit, finished or timed as any of my Beretta or late pre-beretta Ubertis...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Well, I'm going to address the Colts....I just paid $1400 and ordered New from Colt a SAA, 38-40, 7.5" Nickel revolver. Frankly it's no better than any other SAA out there, including the Rugers, Uberti's, or USFA. Actually I think I would have gotten a better built revolver with USFA. The action was gritty, the trigger was rough, and the rear sighting groove on top of the receiver has loads of machine marks in it that weren't dressed out before the plating. My 1978 ish 3rd Model in 45 LC is a MUCH better revolver. First thing I ended up doing was tear it apart, clean up the trigger, and figure out why it seemed so gritty. Seems they didn't even bother to take the heat treat slag off of the hammer spring. 30 seconds on a wire wheel, and a little lube made a world of difference. But I'm not into paying that kind of money for a "diamond in the rough" I'd rather spend my money on a gun which doesn't need all of that. If you are saving for a Colt, go to a gun show and handle it first before buying...don't order.

Ed
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Kansas Ed wrote:Well, I'm going to address the Colts....I just paid $1400 and ordered New from Colt a SAA, 38-40, 7.5" Nickel revolver. Frankly it's no better than any other SAA out there, including the Rugers, Uberti's, or USFA. Actually I think I would have gotten a better built revolver with USFA. The action was gritty, the trigger was rough, and the rear sighting groove on top of the receiver has loads of machine marks in it that weren't dressed out before the plating. My 1978 ish 3rd Model in 45 LC is a MUCH better revolver. First thing I ended up doing was tear it apart, clean up the trigger, and figure out why it seemed so gritty. Seems they didn't even bother to take the heat treat slag off of the hammer spring. 30 seconds on a wire wheel, and a little lube made a world of difference. But I'm not into paying that kind of money for a "diamond in the rough" I'd rather spend my money on a gun which doesn't need all of that. If you are saving for a Colt, go to a gun show and handle it first before buying...don't order.

Ed
That's just sad. A landmark and historical company like Colt putting out something like that. It's unbelieveable. I've never held a USFA SAA, but I'd like to. I've heard good things about them. I love my third generation Colt's, but I bought them years ago.
Old Law Dawg
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Sixgun wrote:

become available.

gotta shoot something,

good luck, pokey

that's me plain and simple.

thanks and

BUY AMERICAN

pokey
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Griff wrote:
:P Hey Bub! Whadya mean "tart"? I might be an ol' sourpuss... but a TART? :P :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Griff,
Ha! I just spit a wad of Skoal all over the screen. I knew you would like that being a good-ole-boy from down South :D ------------ :D Sixgun :D

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Seems like a good time for a picture or two.
What it took to scratch my itches “properly” :D
Anything less I would still be a scratchin. :roll:
O ya the B-92 was the most recent big itch. :wink:
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tennessee Hayre »

We'll I have 3 Rugers, one in .44 mag (Super Blackhawk), A .357 mag (New Model Blackhawk,) and New Vaquero .45 cal. I also have a Uberti colt. 45. My Favorite is the New Vaquero but I love all of them. The Uberti SAA .45 is well made and I can it a softball size target at 25 yards of the bench more times then not. Ruger is by all means the best made. I believe you could run over one in your truck pick it up and keep shooting.
The Ultimate Authority resides in the people and that if the Federal Goverment got too powerful and over stepped it's authority then the people would develope plans of resistance and resort to arms" _____________________________________James Madison_______

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
Defender Second Amendment
Constitution Party Member
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Thought I'd toss my .02 cents worth in here. I think I've owned almost every SAA clone there was, plus a few real Colts too. I've had a couple Uberti's when they were first imported, and I guarantee none of them had plastic parts internally. I know because I had to tear both of them apart to repair them when they broke! Yes, they both broke, and both from the same thing; improperly heat treated hammers that were brittle enough to break the notch. I replaced both with Colt hammers and never had another problem. I presently own two newer Uberti's and they have been flawless, so I think any early problems have been corrected.
I've owned Rugers also, and I think they are tough as nails, and very good shooters, but the cheap case colors are so fragile that they wear off quickly, and even cleaning can take them off if you're not careful! Had a friend who stripped his clean the first time he cleaned it, because he rubbed it with a little Flitz. I've done that to try and take some off the case color on other guns, and it takes a bit of effort just to lighten them.
I've also owned (own) Colt, AWA, USFA, EMF, Jaeger, etc.... and all are good guns that didn't break, but vastly different in their out of the box feel and function. The USFA is tops in my experience, but only as it compares to newer Colts. Early 1st, 2nd, or 3rd gen. Colts are not beaten by any other SAA. They just are tops, but not so for the later Colts. I think the USFA is a much better gun, with the AWA being lesser, but for the price a super gun, with a wonderful trigger and action! The last Cimmaron Uberti I got was extremely well fitted and finished, but the sight was tilted badly and it hit 2" high, and 2" left at 50 ft. I had to remove the sight and resolder it to get it hitting right. Still it shot tiny groups, but not at the point of aim.
If I was buying a SAA today I'd still want a early 3rd. Gen or previous model over any new other maker, except for the USFA. I wouldn't feel bad owning and shooting a USFA, and like Colt and Ruger, they're American made too.
PS-At almost 59 I still ride a Honda, and I don't secretly crave or lust for a Harley! :D
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

New to the thread. Boy, there are a lot of opinions on this one, so I guess I'll add mine. Buy what you can afford. All are good choices from different perspectives.

I'll acknowledge Ruger and USFA excellence right off--for reasons others have mentioned--then move on to the OP's actual question. All the current Italians (I prefer the non-transfer bar ones, aka non-Berettas) represent a great route to get the traditional SA in just about any caliber you want on close to a 1/3 Colt budget. As at least one poster suggested, you can probably feel a bit better about actually (ab)using the Uberti.

OTOH, if you've got the budget, there truly is "nothing like a Colt." I'll beg to differ from at least one poster and offer that my "4th gen" (late 3rd--2008 to be exact) is a stellar piece well worthy of the prancing pony history..as have most of this recent era's production have been that I can see.

Btw, EMF is just a distributor and "Great Western (II)" one of its models, in this case built by Pietta (as are similar Chas Daly and LSI offered SAs)--Uberti's chief Italian competitor. The EMF/Armi San Marcos comment was incorrect as well. It was the other way around--as the poster did offer it might be. EMF ultimately went with Uberti for its main line up after ditching ASM, and the latter (in their original corporate form) went by the wayside as a purveyor of single actions--EMF's anyway. Ubertis, at least as of the EMF change over several years ago, are generally considered to be a better gun vs ASM, though, like everything, YMMV.

Until recently, EMF sold their version of the Uberti Cattleman, its "Hartford" model right alongside the Pietta-built GW(II). The Piettas, from most accounts--including Steve Young/NKJ it appears, are considered the top imports, though the Uberti distributors such as Taylors and especially Cimarron--offer many more calibers and configurations. Pick your priorities; they're yours so you won't be "wrong"!
Last edited by gak on Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Thanks for all the input. Knowing that when it comes to shooting, I am primarly a HUNTER. I am not concerned with it being historically correct. I would imagine I will be better off with a Ruger Super Blackhawk. Think I will pass this by.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Colt = Harley
Harley is just a label for blowhards to brag about, and so is Colt.

The Rugers (not the New Model Vaquero) will likely handle the heavy loads longer than you will; I'm a big guy with a horsehoer's hands, and I felt no need to redline my large frame Vaqueros, as the recoil was just unecessarily brutal. If ever I need that kinda horsepower, I'll use a rifle. Frankly, there are only three animals in North America that I think could require more than one shot at that level.

Colts and repro's~

There are just so many manufacturers and variations out there that you'd better start learning a little gunsmithing now and buy the necessary tool for fitting parts. There are several parts that SAA shooters carry around just in case, and one needs to be a mainspring. The darn thing has a habit of snapping with no warning at all. That's why Ruger started building single actions; he liked them, but wanted to improve on the SAA; He did just that by changing the mainspring from a leaf spring to a coil spring, among other things. The beefed up frame and more modern metals allow for much heavier loads to be fired with no problems. One only has to look at what the top pistoleros do to their SAA's; Bob Munden's package deal includes coild springs and a few other things; basically, he turns them into a weaker version of a Ruger.

But..........

If you just want a Colt, you want a Colt! Just keep in mind, the Ruger will last longer at half the price, and will outlast any of the imports for about the same cost.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Nate Kiowa Jones
Site Sponsor

Post by Nate Kiowa Jones »

You won't be competing sounds like but this does apply somewhat. I posted this on the SASS wire a while back.

My perspective on the various SAA's is from a gunsmiths view. Not what they cost or how well they retain their value. Purely from the mechanical perspective.

If you want tuff out of the box, Ruger is the way to go, but I don`t consider it to be an SAA clone. The ruger lock works were designed in the 1950's. It is nothing like the colt style lock basically unchanged since 1836.
From the CAS perspective where you are racing with guns as opposed to cars,
Comparing Rugers to colts is like comparing model T`s to 60`s muscle cars. The Ruger with nothing more than some spring work is ready to race, sort of like that muscle car that just need some racing tires.

This is the quote I think Griff was referring to. "I've said this many times. With the exception of the Rugers, racing a stock out of the box gun is like taking the family sedan to the track and run he77 out of it! If you do it on a regular basis, you gonna look up and see you crankshaft in the rearview mirror. Race cars have to be tuned to race, so do guns that are raced. Especially 130 year old designs."

I think the finest Colt style SAA made today, hands down, bare none is the USFA guns. I think they are a much better guns than the 3rd gen Colts, too but they are both kinda pricey.
If you don`t mind that it`s made in Europe, the best is the Pietta Great Western II`s from EMF. When EMF decided to import these, Will Hansen, EMF`s manager sent one to me for a look-see. He told me take it apart, shoot it, whatever I wanted to do. These guns are 2nd gen configured with the third gen more rounded bolt finger, even the thread pitch for the screws and barrel are the same. They even have firing pin bushings/recoil plates like the originals. EMF did have them change the weakest link in the Colt action, the leaf type hand spring. They changed to the Ruger style coil spring and plunger.

So, here' my list.
1.Rugers but they aren't true SAA's

Then the colt style guns.
2. USFA (Without a boubt, the finest made today)
3. Colt (sometimes, avoid the late 80's ealy 90's 3rd gens)

The best European made colt style guns
4.EMF's Great Western II's by Pietta. (a dead on 2nd gen colt clone with some upgrades) or the current AWA-USA Ultimates or classics.
5.Cimarron's Uberti made guns provided they are the current two postion base pin gun not the older "D" cams.

I just don't think the beretta or the taurus will take the long term abuse. The colt style lockwork clones like the Beretta stampede and the Taurus Goucho and the EAA bounty hunter have fatal flaws. These company's have gone in and added small delicate liability parts that will not stand the test of time. Small delicate parts is one of the reason the old colt thunderer and lightings were drop from the line. Same with the old top break smiths. Over time they just don't hold up. There have been other clones that had these small add on part that have gone by the wayside. The Hammerli's with the flip safety on the hammer. The most recent to be dropped were the Uberti "D" cam guns. They just didn't fair well. There are some SAA smiths that refused to even work on them.

Comparing the Berretta Stamepedes and Taurus gaucho's to the Ruger would be like adding a catalitic converter and a smog pump to that Model "T".
Steve Young aka Nate Kiowa Jones Sass# 6765

Steve's Guns aka "Rossi 92 Specialists"
205 Antler lane
Lampasas, Texas 76550

http://www.stevesgunz.com

Email; steve@stevesgunz.com

Tel: 512-564-1015