Best sights for my 94 top eject?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
nralover
Levergunner 2.0

Best sights for my 94 top eject?

Post by nralover »

What is the best set of sights for my new top eject winnie in .32 WS? Everyone please weigh in...
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

xs zero peep sight, heres the link....

http://www.xssights.com/
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Williams FP 94/36..
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
canonsix
Levergunner 2.0

Post by canonsix »

Williams 5d 94/36 if you do not need ready adjustment. Doug
a armed man is his own master
Mike-in-WV
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike-in-WV »

A while back I bought and installed the XS Ghost Ring sights on my Win.94 Trapper 30-30. That was the best thing I have ever done.
It took me a week or so to get used to the idea of paying attention to the front sight only but once I got it right I was amazed at how fast and accurate I can be with these sights. It was worth every penny of the $90.00. Mike
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

I had a Williams Fool Proof receiver sight on my 94AE Trapper, but decided to install the XS sights on it and like them allot, mostly because they are so compact.
I moved the Williams to a 20" carbine and to tell you the truth both are fine sights.
The Williams are easier to adjust for different loads and the XS are nice and compact and seem right at home on the Trapper sized carbines.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Aperture sight of your choice. It's nice to have the option to swap/remove apertures.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

What is the best set of sights for my new top eject winnie in .32 WS? Everyone please weigh in...
Generic, PC answer: Whichever aperture sight you feel comfortable with.

J Millers answer: I prefer a Lyman 66A ~or~ Williams FP side mount receiver sight with a post or a sourdough front sight. I cannot get a good sight picture with a bead front sight. I grew up on mil surp rifles with their thin front posts and really find they work well.
I do not like the XS, or Skinner type sights because they sit too high and require much taller front sights.
I prefer a lower rear along with a lower front sight because that way the sights are less obtrusive and less prone to getting whacked on things.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

Here's something I haven't tried but have wanted to, its a little cheaper too.

I think Blaine may have one on his 22, but I may be wrong on that one. We discussed them some time back on the Marlin Talk board.

http://www.oneraggedhole.com/Winchester ... _Sight.htm

Johnny

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

I think too much can be made of the height of XS sights.

The original front sight height on my 94 Legacy was .585". The XS replacement is .600", an increase in height of .015" or 0.38 mm.

I have not measured the height difference at the receiver end but there's far less added bulk in the XS.

XS with long shank Williams aperture on a 94 - same from both sides.
Lyman 66 on a 9422
Last edited by Bruce Scott on Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SMP
Levergunner

Post by SMP »

I'm with Hobie,I like the FP the best.
Mike-in-WV
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike-in-WV »

Ghost ring on my 94 Trapper.Painted front blade fluorescent red.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I like tha Williams FP or an early Lyman or Redfield if you can find them.
:wink:
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

canonsix wrote:Williams 5d 94/36 if you do not need ready adjustment. Doug
+1
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Mike-in-WV wrote:A while back I bought and installed the XS Ghost Ring sights on my Win.94 Trapper 30-30. That was the best thing I have ever done.
It took me a week or so to get used to the idea of paying attention to the front sight only but once I got it right I was amazed at how fast and accurate I can be with these sights. It was worth every penny of the $90.00. Mike
+1

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

J Miller wrote: Generic, PC answer: Whichever aperture sight you feel comfortable with.
I like peep sights. I like Merit Adjustable Apertures.

I've had the 66 fall apart, I now know how not to put them back together. I've had the 66 top loosen in it's slot due to recoil bending the base. Field adjustable knobs are nice. Sleek looking sight.

I've had the FP strip. The FPs lines are coarse and new lines must be cut to be repeatable. Needing two screwdrivers to adjust the sight is not field friendly. Boxy, yet cool looking.

The 5D is simple once sighted. Cut new lines for each load and it's good to go. Nice looking.

Never had an XS.

Like both post and bead fronts.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

:lol: :twisted: HAH!!! YOU GUYS ARE ALL WET! :P THE VERY BEST SIGHTS ARE THE ONES WINCHESTER ORIGINALLY INSTALLED: BUCKHORN REAR AND POST FRONT. Kinda like thus:

Although for longer range and target work, a tang mounted peep and globe with a fine post are mighty handy! 8) :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Griff,

You're lucky I can't reach through cyber space and grab that rear sight. I'd snag it and put it on my Marlin. I bee likin it a lot better than the Marbles that came on it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

J Miller wrote:Griff,
You're lucky I can't reach through cyber space and grab that rear sight. I'd snag it and put it on my Marlin. I bee likin it a lot better than the Marbles that came on it.
Joe
I've never seen a Winnie sight w/those serrations before, but I LIKE 'em!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
nralover
Levergunner 2.0

Post by nralover »

Fellas- I am assuming that I'll need to d&t the receiver for the xs sights? If so, than I don't think I'll use that setup. All the others will mount on the existing holes...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

nralover wrote:Fellas- I am assuming that I'll need to d&t the receiver for the xs sights? If so, than I don't think I'll use that setup. All the others will mount on the existing holes...
Reread your question, yep, the Top Eject would have to be d&t'd for a XS.
Last edited by Griff on Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by spaceman spiff »

Lyman 66 with 3 apertures from hunting to target.
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

Benjamin Franklin
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

I'm with Hobie - Williams FP 94 36 and I remove the aperture and have, in effect, a ghost ring sight - accurate and fast on target.

Did have to replace the front sight with a taller XS sight.

It's true - no drilling/tapping needed and the front sight is dove tail and easily replaced.

YMMV

:D
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Mike-in-WV
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike-in-WV »

My Trapper is a newer one and it came with the holes already drilled and taped for a scope. The XS Sights mount right in the existing rear holes for a scope. I really can't remember exactly when I bought this trapper.
The sights are adjustable for fine tuning windage and up and down. Very solid built and comes with two apertures. One large (Like is on mine in the picture above) and one small for target or more precise shooting. I find that the big one suits me just fine out to 150 yards or so. Thats way more than I need because most of my hunting shots here in the east are way under 75 yards and most are under 50 yards. Mike
S.B.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by S.B. »

I like the Lymans instead of the Williams. Steel over aluminum. Williams seem to always have finish damage from original installation? Just my $.02.
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA, ISRA, AF&AM Pontiac #294
LIUNA #996 for the last 32 years, retired after 34 years.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Fellas- I am assuming that I'll need to d&t the receiver for the xs sights? If so, than I don't think I'll use that setup. All the others will mount on the existing holes...
You may get by without it
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Win 94s from about 52 on to the AE models were drilled and tapped on the upper left rear side of the receiver for side mount receiver sights.
nralover

The only 94s that are drilled on the top for scopes and sights like the XS are the AE models. So yes nralover if you use the XS you will have to have your rifle D&T'd for it.

Lyman receiver sights are no longer made from steel. They are now made from anodized aluminum just like the Williams sights.

I've installed a bunch of Williams and a couple of Lyman aluminum receiver sights and have yet to damage the finish on one. You need to use the proper tools and some finesse. Being ham fisted and crude with the installation is contraindicated and sure way to muck them up.

Side mount receiver sights offer more adjustability for both windage and elevation than the XS, Williams WGRS, or Skinner type sights do. This is irrelevant if you use one and only one load and your rifle doesn't vary with different lots of the ammo or different weather conditions.
But I prefer the option of having these adjustments.

These sights are like anything else. Ask 100 folks what they think is the best you'll get about 75 different answers. And each and every one of them is right.

Joe
Windjammer
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Windjammer »

Although I like peep sights, a 2X pistol scope is my favorite.......
Reqards,
Windjammer
nralover
Levergunner 2.0

Post by nralover »

Thank you all for the replies. I believe I will go with a Williams peep sight. A scope will take away from the handiness of this rifle, besides I have a couple 336's with straight 4X scopes on em. Thanks again, NRA
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

nralover wrote:Thank you all for the replies. I believe I will go with a Williams peep sight. A scope will take away from the handiness of this rifle, besides I have a couple 336's with straight 4X scopes on em. Thanks again, NRA
Note that there are two 94/36 Wiliams aperture sights - the FP series is a little more expensive but gives more sensitive adjustments than the 5D series (just in case you might not know).

:D
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

I've got Williams FP on some and XS Ghost Ring on others...I prefer the XS Ghost Ring. Yes, it is more of hassle to get used to(i.e. front sight height adjustments) but once in it is easier for me to use. The Williams is too close to the receiver (low) for me.

Here's my '94BB .375 w/XS System, yes I had to D&T, but it was worth it. I now have dovetail blank in the old rear sight dovetail too: