Like new Winchester 94 .22 M

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Like new Winchester 94 .22 M

Post by crs »

My first Winchester rimfire magnum .22 followed me home this weekend. :)
It appears to be one owner, like new, clean and undinged. The checkering is perfect and there are only a couple of mars on the nicely grained walnut stock. Off hand trial shots grouped well, low and to the right. A little range session should solve that. Now, I have a fun little hunting and varmint rifle or a great gift for some lucky family member.

Dumb question - what do other owners of this type rifle use them for - that is plinking, varmints, small game, :?: :?: :?:
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
woods-walker
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Like new Winchester 94 .22 M

Post by woods-walker »

I have one and find it very useful as a short range walking around rifle that is useful for dispatching varmints. Mine wears the original open sights sighted for 50yds. Likes Winchester jacketed HP 40 gr. ammo. Easy to carry and everybody likes to shoot it.
BigMuddy
Levergunner

Post by BigMuddy »

I use mine for varmints, pests, and some small game as well. It is very accurate and with head shots does not ruin the meat.

Mine likes the same load woods-walker uses. I tried several brands and types of ammo when I got it, and the Winchester was the best. A friend that bought one the same time I did....same ammo was best in his.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Good looking rifle, did you and the grandson get to shoot it Sunday?
Ricky

DWWC
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Post by AkRay »

I sold mine about 15 years ago and have been kicking myself ever since. I used mine for snowshoe hares, spruce and ruffed grouse, and it was a great rifle. I thought it would be easy to replace, but it hasn't worked out yet. My friend Stan once shot through a small spruce tree, about 5" in diameter and killed a hare that was behind it. I'm a .22 magnum 9422M fan.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

i can't see any sights on your new toy?

i use mine as a high speed, long range drill, ya know poke hole in stuff.ymmv
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Ricky - nope, even Troupe was drafted into wrapping the buffalo meat. That took from about noon to 8 PM!

Pokey - it appears that the original owner removed all the iron sights when he installed the scope. I may begin looking for replacements. First, I will look for a web site (Winchester) where I can download the instruction manual.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

your manual [and many others] is in here.

http://stevespages.com/page7b.htm

good luck, pokey
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Mine is an XTR sans checkering, and has an integral ramp/base for the front sight.

It gets used for almost everything, and has been known to take down a deer or two (in another place and time...)
Last edited by Buck Elliott on Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Congrats, crs !

I play saddle ring-a lev-i-o, with mine. ;)

rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

One of the handiest rifles I own.
"That'll Be The Day"
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Thanks to all for your suggestions on ammo and such. It will be fun to learn more about the rifle and its applications. In the current Fur Fish Game magazine, there is an article on hunting prairie dogs with rimfire rifle and the author used the .22 WRM and .17 rimfire magnum with success and cost savings. :)
Pete44ru, that is a very pretty rifle - and a good photo of it. 2 questions:
1. What type peep sight is that?
2. Did your saddle ring thingy replace the screw on the left side receiver?
3. Is that a takedown screw as in the earlier Winchester pump .22 models?
4. What model designations (like XTR) are there and how do I tell which is which?

OK, so there were four questions - :oops:
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Thank for the kind words.

The peep on my rifle is a New England Custom Gun (NECG) .22 Grooved Receiver clip-on sight, that I bought directly.

My saddle ring is a NOS Uncle Mike's takedown screw/saddle ring. ( I have another, plus one for a Marlin 39a).

I bought them, and an upgraded takedown screw - which I'll switch to, come hunting season this Fall.

I bought them from a fella named Joe Hulett (JRH), over on rimfirecentral ( www.aperturesnmore.com ), who makes new takedown screws with a large thumbscrew-type head that looks like most older Winchester takedown rimfire rifles:

AFAIK, The "XTR" model 9422's are generally the only ones with issue checkering and the high-polish blue and stock finish - although (as Buck mentioned) some XTR's were made w/o the checkering.
Your 9422M appears to also be an XTR, judging from your pics.

crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Thanks, Pete for the response and the information. Nice photo of .22 rifles. One of them looks like my hammerless pump .22 that was my first rifle(still have it).
I like the takedown feature and the large knurled screw, so I will check into getting that or the saddle ring one, as I want to be able to take it down without tools.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

This thread must have inspired me a bit. Last evening, after I finished up at the shop, I took my 9422M on a field trip, out by Oregon Basin. Didn't take long to roust a few Jack Rabbits from their hiding places, and swiftly accounted for a neat half-dozen; clean kills with CCI's 30 gr. TNT ammo. May not be the best for bigger critters, but does wonders on big jacks.

Love my 9422...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

XTR is stamped on the barrel- it's part of the model name ("9422", "9422M", "9422 XTR", "9422M XTR").

I was quite lucky in finding a LR version and a M version both XTR, both no checkering, serial no's very close together in that they were probably both made in '79... quite a fetching pair.

I don't know how you guys can afford to plink with .22 mag. It costs as much as reloadables.
TX50Cal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX50Cal »

crs wrote: Now, I have a fun little hunting and varmint rifle or a great gift for some lucky family member.
I'm available for adoption :D
Dave in TX
MA1 USN (Retired)
Freedom is never really free, payments come due in every generation.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Years ago, as my boys were growing up, I bought a 9422 for each of them, in turn. Theirs are .22 L.R. versions, as I didn't feel like going broke supplying them with .22 WMR ammo for their plinking excursions. Now that they have to buy their own ammunition, they are still more than happy to spend less for the L.R. stuff.

Using Stingers & the like, they get almost the same terminal performance I get with my WMR, albeit at shorter ditances.

Sad day indeed, when the little 9422 was discontinued.

BTW, took the 9422 along with my '92 in .44 Mag out to the same spot in Oregon Basin again last evening. Both are good killers on JRs, but the .44 does have a lot more OOMPH! at the point where the work gets done. Simultaneous death & dismemberment... The WMR shoots great out to 175 yards, with iron sights; the .44 needs more sight adjustment out to that range...If I were shootin' bunnies for food, I'd pick the WMR, any time, and try to limit myself to head shots.
Regards

Buck

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[ don't know how you guys can afford to plink with .22 mag. It costs as much as reloadables.]

In my case, back before I retired several years ago - when I had more disposable income than I now do - I bought 5,000 rounds of Winchester's @ $4.50 per box/50. :mrgreen:

I figured it would be enough to last me a lifetime (I was 57 then).

It cost me about the same $$$$ as another gun at the time, but I've been shooting & hunting with it, and still have several more years-worth left.