Found the Savage 99 I was looking for

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Found the Savage 99 I was looking for

Post by iceman »

On another Canadian gun site I finally found what I was looking for. A Savage 99F in 300 savage. Condition looks very good ++. It has a scope (not sure what kind, don't care) mounted on a what looks like a Williams side mount, the kind that has the scope over the irons so both can be used. This may have to go and I am not sure if it uses predrilled and tapped holes or was field done. Hopefully not bubbaed. I think I got a reasonable price of $455 Canadian delivered. Hopefully I will get it end of the week or beginning of next week. Time to start looking for brass and dies.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Found the Savage 99 I was looking for

Post by mescalero1 »

Well done
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Good things come to those that wait!

I am sure I dont have to tell you, but be sure to POST PICS!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
TNBigBore
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TNBigBore »

1950s Savage 99F in 300 Savage is one of my favorite rifles. They are light, handy, accurate, powerful enough for most anything I hunt and just plain cool. Congratulations on your find.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I found brass, dies, and lee trimmer today. Powder is hard to find. I have some IMR 4895 that I think I will start with, but H 4895, varget and IMR 3031 is back ordered at my supplier right now. Hopefully by mid August he will have some.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Nice find Iceman. Sounds like you found a winner. Myself, I'm looking for a 99 in 243 or 250.

By the way, we need some pics. Don't make us come up there.... :)
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Don't worry you will get pictures once I get the rifle. Anybody have pet loads for the 300sav they are willing to share?
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

My Dad (1922-2004) hunted every big game animal offered by Wyoming Dept. Fish & Game with his 300 savage. That's right - countlless mulies, 'lopes, and elk fell to the early morning distinctive CRACK of his 300. At least a dozen moose, bears, and cougars were toppled cleanly. Two bighorn sheep and one mt. goat as well. My Dad was a prolific hunter and a genuine sportsman, too!

Do not be influenced by Boddington and his focus upon MAGNUM cartridges. My Dad gotterdone with his 300 Savage and well placed shots after long stalks in rough country. There is still no substitute for stalking & shooting skills.

I hope you spend the time (and money for ammo) to master your rifle. 225 yard shots are within your capability to down even large aniamls such as bull elk and moose.

Good hunting to you.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

t.r. don't worry I plan on using it a lot. I just resized some new brass, looking around for some load info. My first rifle was one just like this one. Shot my first deer with it. Traded it for something else,worst mistake I have made with rifle trades. Tried other rounds (no magnums) and have decided 30 wcf, 356 win and 300 sav is all I really need for my hunting. Any one of them will get the job done, just depends on what I feel like carrying that day.I will keep you posted.
cpt Dan Blodgett
Levergunner

Post by cpt Dan Blodgett »

Great, what savage am I looking for if it exists at all

Years ago a friend of ours had a savage with rottary mag and a cartridge counter window in 300 savage
I would like the same gun in 308. Never have liked the clip loaded savages, think I can unload the rottary mag without shooting myself or some what else.

What model am I seeking?
SASS #75655
"Follow Me"
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

You probably are looking for a mod E, EG or F. There may have been other models but I do remember and have seen these models listed in 308 win.