OT: Old Family photos

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

OT: Old Family photos

Post by J Miller »

These pics were taken in Taylorville, IL October 1928.
My grand dad, grand mom, mom and aunt.

Joe
Last edited by J Miller on Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Re: OT: Old family photos

Post by Jeff Quinn »

My great grandfather, circa 1900, at his cabin in rural Tennessee.

Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Jeff, you and your g-grandfather share quite a resemblance. :D

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Great old photos! Always good to see REAL people, unlike so many wimps today that couldn't hold a candle to folks like that! You guys come from GOOD stock :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

J Miller wrote:Jeff, you and your g-grandfather share quite a resemblance. :D

Joe
Spitting images! :lol:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Several of you made the comment: "give us a chance, I (we) didn't see it". I sincerely apologize to Jeff Quinn and the rest of you.
Joe
game keeper wrote:Great old photos! Always good to see REAL people, unlike so many wimps today that couldn't hold a candle to folks like that! You guys come from GOOD stock :wink:
game keeper, thanks for the compliment. You were the only one out of nearly a hundred look sees.

Joe
Last edited by J Miller on Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT: ~ :>( ~

Post by homefront »

Mr. Miller, you're too quick on the draw.
Why not give the rest of us a chance?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

J Miller wrote:With all the pics RR7 has posted I expected a better response from you guys. I guess I expected too much. It looks to me that if the pics are from real people you guys don't care. You just poke fun at them and post joking photos. All you guys like to see is studio photos of generic people.
Looks like I wasted my time posting these. I won't bother you guys with any more of my "REAL people" pics.
game keeper wrote:Great old photos! Always good to see REAL people, unlike so many wimps today that couldn't hold a candle to folks like that! You guys come from GOOD stock :wink:
game keeper, thanks for the compliment. You were the only one out of nearly a hundred look sees.

Joe
As for me, I don't like the 'generic' ones much, especially if they're posed. REAL family is always interesting, especially if there is stuff known about the people or events or things in the photos. The idea of posting one's private family photos on the internet is kind of strange, because once they're out there, they're "out there" and subject to who knows what. That's why there are some I probably wouldn't post, but then again, we're talking about people in most cases living a hundred years ago, and I think they are in a place now where any fun poked at them bounces right off them. Still (and maybe I missed the rude comment or whatever) I wouldn't say anything obnoxious about anyone's kin folk. (Well, maybe saying to Jeff that his grandfather looked like him WAS an insult.. :wink: ..but to which one? :lol: )
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

That's a great photo! Did you get to talk to him and listen to his stories? I have one of my dad's dad but it is from the head up. He is wearing a Stetson though and he taught me how to shoot. I would really like to find one of my great grandfather who fought in the Civil War but have been unable to so far. These photos of family are irreplaceable heirlooms. Here is one of my wife's grandfather just off a cattle drive in 1898 after he got back to De Leon, Texas. The drive was from Stamford to Alpine Texas. I had this copy blown up and it sits in our living room.

Last edited by rangerider7 on Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"That'll Be The Day"
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I was working my way to your post Joe, but ran out of time. Sometimes, there are just some doldrums when we post.....all of the major posters are in quick post mode or not able to post at all. I have been in the former, but would love to see your family photos. Neat photos fellas. Jeff....now are you funnin us or is that you?
Last edited by C. Cash on Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Joe, I saw your photo last night, but after a day painting in the hot West Texas sun, I didn't do very many posts.

Please don't take that for apathy.

Old family photos are treasure. Thank you for sharing yours.

20c
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Jeff,

Very cool picture. My grandparents were still in Europe at the turn of the last century.
He looks like he would have been one tough hombre :)
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Here is one that I may not have shared with you guys. This is my Grandfather Homer Cash(standing Left) with his twin brothers Odis and Ottis, and youngest sister Stella. It was taken about 1910 at "The Breaks" in Knox Co. Texas. They were the last of 16 children born to William and Florence Cash who came from Tennessee about 1880. From the looks of the boys new clothes, they look more like Russian peasants than Texas farmboys!

Photo courtesy of my cousin, Dr. Joe Lynn Cash of Lake Charles, LA
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Didn't get a chance to see them Joe.

Here is my Mom & Dad on their wedding day 1954 and still going strong together all these years :D

Family picture, around 1964, I'm the one with the six shooter, two brothers, sister Mom and Dad and my grandfather.

My older brother has all the real old family photos, he keeps them in a spare bedroom that he calls the "Big Love" room, my ancestors on both sides of the family came west and settled Utah as Mormon's needles to say some of the family pictures have many children and wife's.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Joe,

You, of all people, ought to know there are up and down times on posting and visiting the forum. You've needlessly taken offense. I'm disappointed.

Of course, I saw your post. I enjoyed it. I simply didn't have the time to post about it.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Sorry to have missed your photos Joe.

Here's a good one of my Grandfather during the 20's in
his AZ border patrol days. He's ont the right with the Model 99.

We have mountains of family photos that I'm going to have to go through one day.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Hobie wrote:Joe,

You, of all people, ought to know there are up and down times on posting and visiting the forum. You've needlessly taken offense. I'm disappointed.

Of course, I saw your post. I enjoyed it. I simply didn't have the time to post about it.
Same here.

Here's a bunch of my family and their friends around 1895-1900; unfortunately the only ones I can identify are my grandmother and her brother.

The cool thing is that we still live on the same property, and can fish in the same place... 8)
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

The 4 legged one in the middle does not look happy.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

2ndovc wrote:Sorry to have missed your photos Joe.

We have mountains of family photos that I'm going to have to go through one day.

jb 8)
I can always repost them if you guys really want to see them. What really torqued me off was Jeff Quinn's ficticious picture of his great grandfather. If it had really been the ggrand father I wouldn't have said a word. Somehow it seemed to me he was making fun of my honestly real family pics. Not something I needed today.

I like pics of real people. Even if you can't identify them. I've got my mom's old album and there are many many pics of relatives I have no clue about. Some have names under them, some don't.
There is only one person who might be able to ID some of them and I can't get to her to talk. I'm trapped here, she's in AZ.

It's not so much what wasn't said, but what was. Quinn's pic just worsened my already irritated last nerve. Things here are in a turmoil again/still ???? I don't know. I just haven't said much.

Joe
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Joe,

I think YOU are in turmoil. Jeff's pic was more a self-deprecating photo. You gotta admit, he's not a man of these times...

I LOVE the old photos. I've got a bunch that I'm scanning for my family so that I can distribute them lest they be lost for all time. MOST are the neat shots such as you posted but some are simply to record the likeness of the particular individual, i.e. a "studio" shot.

Many of us here are of an age that we look at these old photos and remember nothing but good times with some interesting if not great family members. Better times even, when we "knew" that the our family's standards of behavior were the same pretty much all across the country.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

J Miller, I would love to see your photo. I thought the second one was yours my mistake. I looked around and found my dad's dad photo in his Stetson. He was a big man. Horse trading was probably his best talent.

"That'll Be The Day"
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I think YOU are in turmoil. Jeff's pic was more a self-deprecating photo. You gotta admit, he's not a man of these times...

I LOVE the old photos. I've got a bunch that I'm scanning for my family so that I can distribute them lest they be lost for all time. MOST are the neat shots such as you posted but some are simply to record the likeness of the particular individual, i.e. a "studio" shot.

Many of us here are of an age that we look at these old photos and remember nothing but good times with some interesting if not great family members. Better times even, when we "knew" that the our family's standards of behavior were the same pretty much all across the country.
Hobie, you think I'm in a turmoil ..... maybe so, but you should see my wife.
Yeah, I also got boxes and boxes of old family pics. Someday if I live long enough I'll get them put into albums. Problem is I am the oldest of my generation and I have nobody to leave them too. The others in my family are not interested as far as I can tell.

Oh well.....

RR7, That is a close up for sure. I'm not sure but since my dad was a coal miner / farmer / truck driver, I doubt he knew which end of a horse was which.

Joe
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: Old Family photos

Post by rangerider7 »

J Miller, Great photos. As for mine, I tried 3 times to downsize it and it just didn't work. So I just let you see him eye to eye. :D
"That'll Be The Day"
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

J Miller,
I apologize.

Jeff
Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

Jeff,

You are a real gentleman.

I understood the picture you posted as you intended it - not to mock Joe, but being light hearted. I laughed when I saw it, having seen a bit of your humor in your videos.

I'm sure that by this point Joe realizes it now too.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Jeff Quinn wrote:J Miller,
I apologize.

Jeff
Joe accepts your apology and offers his own. I have been too sensitive and stressed lately. I will try to do better.

Joe
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

...now I think it's time for a GROUP HUG...! :mrgreen:

Seriously,

a) love the old photos (even the 'gag' ones).
b) nice to have a forum where people can get along even in these 'trying times' politically.
c) I gotta go seat some .30-30 gas checks, so don't mind if I skip out on the Group Hug - sorry, really I am...

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Joe my man!
I just right now opened this baby up and saw them.
They are really cool! I love to see these older real people photos.
When you can, PLEASE post more as I am very interested in seeing them. See ya,
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

rangerider7 wrote:J Miller, I would love to see your photo. I thought the second one was yours my mistake. I looked around and found my dad's dad photo in his Stetson. He was a big man. Horse trading was probably his best talent.

To quote one of my students' comments upon seeing my father and I togetherfor the first time, "Ya'll are related!"
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

AJMD429 wrote:...now I think it's time for a GROUP HUG...! :mrgreen:

Seriously,

a) love the old photos (even the 'gag' ones).
b) nice to have a forum where people can get along even in these 'trying times' politically.
c) I gotta go seat some .30-30 gas checks, so don't mind if I skip out on the Group Hug - sorry, really I am...
GROUP HUG!
Sincerely,

Hobie

C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

J Miller wrote:Image

These pics were taken in Taylorville, IL October 1928.
My grand dad, grand mom, mom and aunt.

Joe

Great old Photos Joe! Wonder what those kids were pointing at? Gotta love how everyone in the 20's and 30's had to pose by the car. Kind of a sign that you were doing OK I guess. Here is another one of the old folks(next to the Car!)...my Dad's Grandparents William Hardin Cash and Florence Alexander abt. 1931. They moved to Texas about 1880 from Tennessee. He was a young boy but he remembered the Union forces coming through and burning the family farm in Meigs Co. TN while his Dad was away fighting as a Confederate Cavalryman. This was taken on their farm in Truscott, TX where my Dad was born 3 years later.
Last edited by C. Cash on Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Well, the best I can do is the oldest photo I have,
taken in 1968 or 1969.

More current (2009)

KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

Well, this is about best I can muster whats handy on my computer. Dad, big sis and me. Let you guess the year.

bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

Here is another favorite of my ol grandad and me haveing a pipe together.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Now if we are going back to ourselves as younguns here's my family.

And here's my sisters and me.

Hey this is fun!
"That'll Be The Day"
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

I promise this is my last tonight! Folks wedding, july 36. They were big people, mom 5 ft 10 or 11, and dad 6 ft 5".
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

I cant resist. Here is the sensitive side of someones family.

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Jeff Quinn wrote:J Miller,
I apologize.

Jeff

Jeff, I'm in left field somewhere. I looked at that pic of yours and said to myself," Geeze, he looks just like Jeff." ---and believed it to be authentic.

To all the boys here---keep the old "real pics" coming. These are the ones that stir the soul. Great pics guys! :D ----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sixgun wrote:Jeff, I'm in left field somewhere. I looked at that pic of yours and said to myself," Geeze, he looks just like Jeff." ---and believed it to be authentic.
Me, too... :oops: :lol:
bogus bill wrote:I cant resist. Here is the sensitive side of someones family.

bsaride wrote:Well, the best I can do is the oldest photo I have, taken in 1968 or 1969.
This one is real, from 1975 - I have another where I'm the 4th guy, but can't find it; this was the 'test focus' one...

The homestead house (destroyed in a fire when I was a kid, but we still live on the property)

Someone who lived nearby I guess (probably one of Jeff's relatives... :lol: )

Posing with an axe - question - what do you think the chimney was made of...?

Great grandpa down by the boat-dock fishing

Grandma and her brother and Great grandpa and a big bird

The Ladies...

...like to go boating.

Last edited by AJMD429 on Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

AJMD,

Those are Indiana pictures???? Sure looks like the real word to me, not like IL.
It would be real interesting if you could go to the exact same places and take "now" pictures from the same angles. Those pics I really enjoy.

Love that old homestead house. Kinda my style too. Old and rustic :roll:

Joe
Last edited by J Miller on Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

J Miller wrote:AJMD, Those are Indiana pictures???? Sure looks like the real word to me, not like IL. Love that old homestead house. Kinda my style too. Old and rustic :roll: Joe
Yep. I still live where these were taken. Lots of financial tradeoffs trying to keep the original place, but literally walking the same hills as these folks has some sort of an appeal to me. Most of my 'city' friends would have 'developed' the place and moved into a fancy home in an exclusive neighborhood by now, but I'm too darned stubborn - and don't like 'civilization' that much. :wink:

Our house is (I think) near where the 'bird' photo was taken:

I was DETERMINED to stay on the home place, but "didn't have the money" to build a house, according to the people who tell you such discouraging things (and according to the contractors we talked to), so my wife and I decided to instead, build a "barn" and kind of make it habitable for people. We COULD afford that, since we did everything but the exterior shell ourselves. I didn't even pay for doors and windows - did that myself. Since building it 20 years ago (total cost at move-in was $14,700 - :mrgreen: ) we've managed to gradually make it into more of a 'normal' looking house.

Still isn't finished all the way inside, but if I wanted a "Country Living" magazine showplace, I'd have gone into a different occupation, or at least sold out to a hospital or HMO by now.

OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

I have some interesting old family pictures and I need to get my mind off losing my "little" brindle girl Katie.

This one was taken in July, 1927, when my folks were vacationing in Custer State Park in the Black Hills of South Dakota. We lived in the cattle ranching Sandhills of Nebraska just south of there.

President Calvin Coolidge was staying in the "Game Lodge" and he was there to dedicate Mount Rushmore so Gutzon Borglum could begin carving the faces there. Now, if you can imagine how things were so different then, the First Lady, Mrs Grace Coolidge was out on the front lawn visiting with any of the tourists who would stop to visit. My folks stopped, visited with her, and asked if they could take her picture. Not only did agree and say yes but offered to hold their baby for the picture.

She even commented (so I'm told) she also had a son named "Jack". This was the result with that old box Kodak with a pinhole for a lens -

My mother never forgave me for being too interested in Mrs. Coolidge's Chow Chow dog to cooperate and look into the camera - :roll:

I may not be older than dirt but I am older than some mountains - at least as they are today :mrgreen:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

OK - I'm on a roll - this one was taken later that same year and shows four generations. My great grandmother who is holding me was an immigrant from the southern part of Denmark - Scleschvig Holstein - and left there because the Germans had taken the province over and my great grandfather refused to become a German citizen.

Standing are my mother and her father Grandpa Ericksen.

This was in Council Bluffs, Iowa, and the house in the background belonged to "Aunt Dolly" - my grandfather's sister. She was the physician who delivered my mother in 1902 and me in 1926. She continued practicing into the 1950s - she was my inspiration. :!:

:mrgreen:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

OJ wrote:Now, if you can imagine how things were so different then, the First Lady, Mrs Grace Coolidge was out on the front lawn visiting with any of the tourists who would stop to visit.
Of course back then the feds and prez weren't seemingly 'out to get' the average citizen to the extent they are today, so not very much animosity was out there for them to have to fear. Same for international concerns; we hadn't yet become the "world's policeman". Cool photo though.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

OJ wrote: Image
Wow - THAT has to make you feel a connection to the past. Wouldn't it be fine to gather those folks for dinner and join in or just listen to the conversation? Awesome.

KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Joe, I enjoyed your photos. I like old posed photos, but real people taken in everyday situations are even more fascinating to me. It is a way of connecting with the past and the people who lived there. Thanks for posting.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Keep em coming fellas.....very cool! OJ, those are great. What a piece of history there with you and Mrs. Coolidge! And at the dedication of Mt. Rushmore to boot.

Bogus Bill......1941?
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

My wife's great- and grand- fathers near Sanderson Texas before WWI.

Her grandfather, wearing the black hat, essentially lost his inheretence of the ranch while gone during the war.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

20cows, great photos!
"That'll Be The Day"
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

Thats right! 1941. (end of april). I belive at the time my mother made a mistake. My mom brought me up in the country general store pretty much by herself. Somehow she started me in 1st grade at 4 years and 4 months old. She done that so the school would baby sit me. I was slow all through school because my classmates were always 2 years older than me. But I did graduate in 58. Durring the war a aunt took in my sister so mom could run the store.