Primer Toughness

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Primer Toughness

Post by El Chivo »

By a trick of fate I was able to acquire 2000 lr primers in two days.

Some are Winchester standard, and some are CCI #34 mil spec. I've only tried Remington, Federal, and CCI 200 lr primers.

They told me the mil spec ones are a little tougher than regular CCI. How about the Winchesters, how do they compare to Federal/Remington/CCI?
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Al
Levergunner 1.0

Re: Primer Toughness

Post by Al »

I've never had a Winchester fail to go bang in anything yet, can't comment on the Mil-spec, but have heard they had a thicker cup to hinder slam fires.
OI phones in...
Levergunner 2.0

Post by OI phones in... »

If they are tougher than CCI then they are TOUGH ...

My 100y/o drilling doesn't like CCI and will require a 2nd strike 1 in 5...
I'm away from my computer right now, but if you will leave a message, I still have my Geek Tools...

GOT GUN? Get T-Shirt!! Stand up & fight Prohibition!
shawn45
Levergunner

Post by shawn45 »

I use the milspecs in all my rifles. In 8mm mauser, 308's. 30-06 and 45-70. All go bang on the first try.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I have used Federal, Winchester and CCI large rifle primers with no feelings that one is better than another. These days I use nothing but Remington 9.5s as I believe they are the best primers for cast bullet loads and that is about all I shoot.

I have no used the "mil-spec" primers, but I understand they are built to prevent "slam fires" from military full and semi-auto weapons. I see no reason to use them over any other in sporting use, unless they can be had on the cheap. Some folks with Garands and MI1A1s like them.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I've never had problems lighting off CCI's #34s with levers, single-shots or bolt guns. The cups are supposed to be harder to resist slam firing in military auto-loaders.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I see no reason to use them over any other in sporting use, unless they can be had on the cheap
The situation is, that they can be had, period! This was the first batch of primers coming in to the reloading store in 3 months.

The Winchesters came from a shooting buddy who doesn't shoot much large rifle anymore. He was going to sell me 500 to tide me over but brought 1000, so I bought them all.

I'll try the Winchesters in the Winchester rifle that has hammer issues. The mil specs will be shot in a Marlin.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."