Strange or unusual experiences in the outdoors.....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Strange or unusual experiences in the outdoors.....

Post by Travis Morgan »

Found THIS thread: http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/ ... 52.90.html, and it sure had some good stories; what have you guys found?
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Strange or unusual experiences in the outdoors.....

Post by mescalero1 »

Got some good ones I could contribute
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Well, get with it! :wink: I MEANT for you to post 'em HERE, dangit!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Oh, I did not want to get on another forum.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Five or six years ago the wife and I were backpacking and came across a very young porcupine. It was in the trail and with me leading at that point I saw it first. I stopped and showed the wife as I thought it would be gone in a flash (or meander as porcupines don't flash). To our surprise it started following me and when I say follow I mean like it was looking for it's lost momma. All I could think of was we're miles away from the trailhead and I don't need an accidental quill in me. It finally must of got a whiff of me and decided it was time to exit stage left.
Old Law Dawg
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Here's a link to a thread I posted some time ago about finding a rifle when out scouting and generally goofing off.

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/ ... 623.0.html
ED
Yer never too old
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Last year this time the wife & I had gone for a horse ride up behind my place took the dog and headed up to a early 1900's miners cabin & tunnel , on the way up saw a big blond grizz about 50 yds downhill of us he was walking up the draw and not even looking our way I was keeping a eye on him and then my dog was gone and I heard something climbing a tree ahead of us on the trail and squealing I called my dog back and he was in high gear headed for me with a small black sow in high gear behind him she stopped about 25 yds away and was growling and popping her jaws and tearing up brush we waited for 10 minutes finally she left and I heard the cub come down the tree. The whole time I was keeping one eye on the grizz he just stood around sniffing and looking up the draw, wife said she'd had enough horse riding for the day and on reflection I think that grizz was looking forward to a bear cub/sow salad and we ruined his menu plans. danny
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Well, at least he didn't have it with a side of Danny! (I'm fairly sure your wife woulda outrode you, hands down! :lol: )
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Wal....... There was the time I wuz quietly sitting in a camo treestand, waiting on a co-operative deer, when a dirtbike suddenly burst upon the scene, bearing a very young couple.
The bike stopped very nearby, and ingorant of my presence, the riders disembarked and spread a blanket on the leafy woodland floor, and.......... Aw, never mind ! ;) :oops: :oops:

BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Yup :lol: , she rides my heading horse and hes big and quick. danny
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

RATED PG-13. This one is not easy to tell in mixed company. I will avoid using any slang. In 2000 I was working with a Conservation Officer (that happened to be a female). We were looking for people that were reported to be hunting with crossbows or firearms in an archery only public area. There was a car in the parking lot. We could tell the trail that the lone person went in on. We followed it for a while and the ground became soft and muddy. The tracks were easy to follow. The CO was wearing a dark green uniform, so she put on a hunter orange hat and sash. After a long way she said "I know where this guy is, there is a permanent stand back here not too far and he's headed straight toward it". As we got close we heard a weird noise. Noises is more like it. We eased in silently to see what was going on. The noise was enough to keep deer away so we weren't over-concerned about the hunter being prepared and anxious for a deer and thereby mistaking us. When we were just about in view I realized the noise was made by a human - the hunter. I thought, "Oh my gosh the guy fell from the treestand and is hanging himself by a safety rope". That's what the sound made be believe. As we came into view I was shocked - and the look on Melissa's face was unbelievable. The hunter was 15 feet up in the treestand. He had his pants down. He was, uh, masterbating. Melissa stepped out and said "Sir, please put your pants back on!" She grabbed my arm and we ran away and then cracked up laughing. The guy did have a bow hanging from a limb up there with him so I don't think there was any game law violations. What a bizarre sight. We still crack up every time we talk and that incident is mentioned.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

My sons and I were camping on a remote wilderness lake in northern Ontario, Canada, when early one evening about 300 yards down the small lake there were two huge eruptions of water like someone had dropped two full grown cows in from a height. They were about 10 yards apart, each with a tremendous SMACK and large splash about 10 feet in diameter about 20 feet into the air. There is no fish big enough to do that and it was far enough from shore that it wasn't a Moose that accidentally fell off a cliff into the water (not that Moose are prone to do that anyway). One of the boys and I hopped into the canoe and paddled to the spot as quickly as possible but there was no sign of what it was. Near as I can figure, something fell out of the sky.
Last edited by KirkD on Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I found a gun barrel sticking up out of a lake, and when I rowde my boat over to pull it out I found it was a Model 60 Marlin. Had my wife's uncle check the serial number to see if it was stolen, and it came up clean, so I fixed her up and sold it to a friend.
I've got a friend who has a chunk of tree that he found in the woods with a 1873 Winchester stuck in it! Looked like someone set it in the "Y" of the trunk and for some reason never came back again! He took a chainsaw and cut it below thw Y, and above eack split, so he's got it in his home tree trunk and all!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

86er, she shoulda called out, in a cutesy woman's voice, "Oh, how cute; a baby pecker!" :lol:
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

creosote
Levergunner

Post by creosote »

Some years ago a buddy of mine spent a lot of time in the Panamint range near death valley,
He was investigating a big pile of boulders and saw a whitened gun butt stuck down in the rocks, he got it out and its a cut down french chassepot in a real heavy leather saddle scabbard, the barrel is only 16 inches long and it had no front sight. I first saw it about ten years ago and was able to ID it for him after a bunch of looking. It is in "relic" condition only.
I suspect someone stuck it there to create a mystery for the finder,the area is very big and very remote.
creosote
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

PG 13 too....In a camp ground...By the light of a flash light from inside a nylon pup tent...A shadow show!... Two girls "playin"
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

KirkD wrote:My sons and I were camping on a remote wilderness lake in northern Ontario, Canada, when early one evening about 300 yards down the small lake there were two huge eruptions of water like someone had dropped two full grown cows in from a height. They were about 10 yards apart, each with a tremendous SMACK and large splash about 10 feet in diameter about 20 feet into the air. There is no fish big enough to do that and it was far enough from shore that it wasn't a Moose that accidentally fell off a cliff into the water (not that Moose are prone to do that anyway). One of the boys and I hopped into the canoe and paddled to the spot as quickly as possible but there was no sign of what it was. Near as I can figure, something fell out of the sky.
"Blue Ice" meteors falling from a passing jetliner. ...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Saw a blacktail buck take five in the boiler room with 180s from an '06 and still went on...they found it a quarter mile away, but any of those shots should have been a Boom/Flop :!:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Years ago, while camping, hiking in the Gila Wilderness; I sat down on a rock to watch some mule deer below me.
Saw some movement to my right, looked over, a bobcat working towards the trees the deer were working toward.
Got to watch about 10 minutes of the deer & bobcat working toward each other, the deer made the bobcat just in time, it gave half-hearted chase , gave up & wandered off.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

My party of three was shot at by an Outfitter/Guide here in Montana. He shot at us because we were to close to "his" hunting territory. I filed a complaint with the Montana Outfitter and Guides Association . That he shot at us was never denied. MOGA refused any action against him stating that it might hurt his business.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

You shoulda taken it up with law enforcement, once his association backed him up and he got cocky about it. He wouldn't be too cocky, once he was no longer able to own a gun and lost his guide's license!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

This was strange...course you can't find them during hunting season:

BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

4075, the three of you should of returned fire and cured him of sucking eggs, a mistake or accident is one thing but intentionally throwing lead at someone is grounds for return fire. danny
TNBigBore
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TNBigBore »

Back in the early 90s I was working as a fly-fishing guide in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. I was taking two fishermen a couple of miles down a trail to one of my honey holes. At one point the trail was about 100 ft about the stream and running parallel to it. I happened to glance down on the rocks and saw three 20 something young ladies sunbathing without their bathing suits. I told the two gentlemen that I saw stuff like that all the time and tried to keep a straight face.