OT: Chicory - for humans?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

OT: Chicory - for humans?

Post by 86er »

What the heck is Chicory? I know I've planted Chicory and Oats for deer. I've seen it in deer protein mixes many times. Last week in NOLA I saw it mixed in coffee! It is absolutely delicious - some of the best coffee I've ever had. What is it? How much of it is mixed with the coffee? What other human consumptions are common?
What else can you tell me about it?
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: Chicory - for humans?

Post by JohndeFresno »

Wikipedia probably has the best definition. I note there that it says that chicory has been used as a coffee substitute in prisons; possibly because it gets a person a lot less jacked up than caffeine.

Once while I was attached to a Vietnamese Special Forces team, the Dai-uy (Captain) made me some chicory coffee with a mid-day meal. I don't remember much about it, except that it seemed unusual, tasted kind of musky, and I liked it.

It's also a medicinal herb... but just click on the Wikipedia link and you'll see more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicory
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Some good info from Cafe du Monde:
http://www.cafedumonde.com/coffee.html

More from French Market Coffee:
http://www.frenchmarketcoffee.com/histo ... hicory.php

It is good, isn't it? My wife and I go on a little chicory jag every now and then. We go back and fort between it and regular coffee.

Scott
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

It's a pretty plant, too. Sometimes seen wild on roadsides. It is actually an 'import' but I think was used so often by pioneers heading west that it spread pretty much everywhere. We occasionally till up a little here and there by the range and scatter coneflower, butterfly weed, and chicory, or some wild peas, lespedeza, and millet, just for the birds and variety.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

Next time you see a Vietnamese restaurant, see if they serve Cafe Sura Da, a blend of coffee and chicory. A local place serves it with a glass of ice; you brew it at your table, pouring the hot water into the top of the whatever-it-is-called that holds the ground coffee/chicory mix. The liquid percolates through, into a glass that contain sweetened condensed milk. Once the desired level is reached, stir, then pour into the glass of ice. It packs quite a caffiene kick!
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I am personal friend of Nawassa Lightfoot, medicine woman of the Choctaw Nation.
She uses it extensivly.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Good stuff!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

Dandelion roots are also sometimes used to same way.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

It was used all over the south during Mr. Lincoln's dirty little war as a coffee substitute when they couldn't get real coffee due to the blockades. From what I know it is most famous in New Orleans. Around the country if you can find Louisanne coffee ( how ever you spell it) in the store it is a chicory blend.
A friend of mine who has now passed used to call it Lousy Ann. He said sometimes they would mix it with MaxwellHouse and then they'd have Lousy Max.
Years ago it was cheaper than 100% coffee, coffee. I tried it once and didn't care for it myself. I guess I'm odd man out here.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Community coffee is a good chickory.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Give this a try if you can find it on your side of the Pond. :)

http://uk.wrs.yahoo.com/_ylt=A03uv8bzCD ... icory.html
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Joe-

Chicory is a perennial herb. The green leaves can be used in salad, although bitter they have good peppery flavor. The blue flowers can also be eaten. Most herbalists and healers use the root, chopped and boiled, made into a tea.
I have read that it purifies the liver, spleen and kidneys.
I have drank the French Market Coffee and love it. I dont know what part they use, but because of the peppery taste I would guess the dried leaves.
Chicory should grow well in Texas.
slimster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by slimster »

Normally I'm like the girl in the Maxwell House commercial and will "have what Juan V. is having". I'm not much for the fancy "mocha-frappa-cino" type drinks, just a "cuppa joe" for me, but that chicory stuff is really good for an occasional change of pace. Next time you're in NOLA, order yourself a plate of begnets (ben-yays) to go along with the chicory coffee.
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Gents,

I grew up on coffe & chickory. The best is from the Cafe du Monde, served au lait, with beg-nets!

This is how Luzianne Coffee used to come:

I used to have one of those cans, until Katrina got it. CDM brand is also pretty good coffee.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
kirkwood
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kirkwood »

Travis Morgan wrote:Community coffee is a good chickory.
Most Community coffee is arabica bean. It is actually hard to find Community coffee blended with chicory in stores. I've only seen it available online.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

I've been drinking French Market or Luzianne for more than 35 years. Moved a bunch over those years and sometimes was able to find one but not the other. Our favorite by far is French Market and one of the first things we've done when relocating is find a chicory/coffee source, .... even before a reliable mechanic or physician. CDM brand chicory coffee is a very poor substitute, by the way.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

I forgot to mention earlier, that the reason Cafe Sura Da served by Vietnamese restaurants has chicory in it, is the same reason New Orleans style restaurants serve coffee with chicory, the French colonial influence.

I think Hills Brothers may also market a coffee with chicory blend.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

If you're gonna buy a can to try, look at this list of top-notch New Orleans-area restaurants that serve French Market brand:

http://www.frenchmarketcoffee.com/where-to-drink.php

Another tip, if you're not going to make it traditional New Orleans style (half coffee/half hot milk), do not use your typical coffee-to-water ratio or else it'll be way too strong. A little experimenting will probably be required.

Bon appetit,
Scott
Last edited by RSY on Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

During the Civil War Confederate Soldiers used chicory because coffee was next to impossible to get due to the Union blockade.

Never had it my self.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

We have been drinking Luzianne and others for a good many years.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

JReed wrote:During the Civil War Confederate Soldiers used chicory because coffee was next to impossible to get due to the Union blockade.

Never had it my self.

There are many accounts of frontline Confederates trading tobacco, of which they had an abundance, for coffee from their counterparts on the Yank side. The Union army issued a mixture of coffee and sugar to the troops, but tobacco was in perennial short supply for them.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

mescalero1 wrote:I am personal friend of Nawassa Lightfoot, medicine woman of the Choctaw Nation.
She uses it extensivly.
That's somewhat surprising, as it is a European plant. I didn't know they worked with non-native stuff.

Scott
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Well, considering they were using chicory during the civil war....... not much of a surprise. BTW, indians now use electricity, cars, e-mail........ all sortsa stuff. :lol:
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

RSY wrote:
mescalero1 wrote:I am personal friend of Nawassa Lightfoot, medicine woman of the Choctaw Nation.
She uses it extensivly.
That's somewhat surprising, as it is a European plant. I didn't know they worked with non-native stuff.

Scott
The plant is native to Europe, North America, & Australia.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

JReed wrote:During the Civil War Confederate Soldiers used chicory because coffee was next to impossible to get due to the Union blockade.

Never had it my self.
I kept trying to remember where I'd read about chicory "coffee" before. The CW was one time period and WWI and WWII were the others. The Germans turned to it when things started to go wrong for them in both wars. It was usually referred to as "ersatz coffee" IIRC.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Wow, I've led a sheltered life.... 'guess when I was in NOLA I was too stoned to know if I had any, wasn't ever a Confederate soldier, and when in VN stayed real close to the ocean! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Buffboy wrote:
RSY wrote:
She uses it extensivly.

Scott
Although it does occur in all those places, it is most definitely NOT native to North America, only having being introduced in the last few hundred years. Hence, it is indeed interesting to find it in native American medicine, a practice very steeped in generations-old tradition going back much farther than the arrival of Europeans and their flora and fauna.

Scott
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Pisgah wrote:

Never had it my self.

There are many accounts of frontline Confederates trading tobacco, of which they had an abundance, for coffee from their counterparts on the Yank side. The Union army issued a mixture of coffee and sugar to the troops, but tobacco was in perennial short supply for them.
Oh there was a lot of trading going on amongst the pickets. But if they weren't lucky enough to get picket duty they were stuck with chicory
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Travis Morgan wrote:Well, considering they were using chicory during the civil war....... not much of a surprise. BTW, indians now use electricity, cars, e-mail........ all sortsa stuff. :lol:
My sister and I were talking about how people in PA seem to think and see reported on TV that people in VA are hicks, bumpkins, etc. I had just been talking about the local colleges, theaters, etc. There are a number of people who hold to some rather ignorant opinions about any number of groups such as Native Americans, Southerners, and GUN OWNERS.

Have you guys noticed how some old timey herbal remedies are being demonized. I think the latest was Comfrey. Not quite sure where I last saw it but some fellow was railing that comfrey should be banned (not sure how they'd eradicate it) because some fool kids tried to get high with it. I guess they should ban jimson weed as well (they apparently smoke the seeds). Ok, so enough digression.

You know, when the dollar is worth nothing we might have to all use chicory again.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

RSY wrote:
Buffboy wrote:
RSY wrote:
She uses it extensivly.

Scott
Although it does occur in all those places, it is most definitely NOT native to North America, only having being introduced in the last few hundred years. Hence, it is indeed interesting to find it in native American medicine, a practice very steeped in generations-old tradition going back much farther than the arrival of Europeans and their flora and fauna.

Scott
Well, they use tobacco too......
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Hobie wrote:
Travis Morgan wrote:Well, considering they were using chicory during the civil war....... not much of a surprise. BTW, indians now use electricity, cars, e-mail........ all sortsa stuff. :lol:
My sister and I were talking about how people in PA seem to think and see reported on TV that people in VA are hicks, bumpkins, etc. I had just been talking about the local colleges, theaters, etc. There are a number of people who hold to some rather ignorant opinions about any number of groups such as Native Americans, Southerners, and GUN OWNERS.

Have you guys noticed how some old timey herbal remedies are being demonized. I think the latest was Comfrey. Not quite sure where I last saw it but some fellow was railing that comfrey should be banned (not sure how they'd eradicate it) because some fool kids tried to get high with it. I guess they should ban jimson weed as well (they apparently smoke the seeds). Ok, so enough digression.

You know, when the dollar is worth nothing we might have to all use chicory again.
I tried like hell to find that to use as a poultice when I broke both my wrists...... couldn't find it. Comfrey is supposed to help bones heal faster. (I was 16, it was rodeo season..! :lol: )
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Travis Morgan wrote:Well, they use tobacco too......

Since tobacco is an American plant, that would make perfect sense. What's your point?