New '76 Update: Pics in the Field!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

New '76 Update: Pics in the Field!

Post by 20cows »

I friend of mine has been pining for a Winchester model 76 repro for the last little while. He's wished for one for years, but long ago decided he'd wait for Uberti to make one. His wish was for a .45-60 short rifle.

Let's just say that he is very particular.

He was at my place last evening for a New Years Eve party. He had arrived early and we had been in my shop tinkering with a couple of 94's. After the the rest of the crowd had dispersed he brought something in the house that he had not mentioned all evening.

It was a Uberti model 76 short rifle in .45-60. He'd picked it up the day before. Wow, what a gorgeous rifle! The serial no. was in the high 300's. It has a 22" octagon barrel and weighs right at nine and a half pounds empty.

Maybe we'll get to see what it'll do this week!
------------------------------------------------------------
We took it out for an informal spin today!

Here it is next to my 26" model 94 in .38-55

There is a difference in the holes they make!

The proof of the pudding:

The one ragged hole at one o'clock is from the .45-60 at 25 yards shot from the position shown above. Four shots.

Last edited by 20cows on Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Cool! 8)
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

20 cows,

they are beautiful rifles. I also wanted to say, that your post on your modest ranch has really focused me on obtaining a long time dream of getting my own place such as you describe. Ever since you posted a fewlines on why your forum name, I have been in search mode for a small place. Just wanted you to know the inspiration you provide. Have a blessed new year.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Someone is in for a lot of fun!!! :D
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Very nice. I spent about 30 minutes fondiling one about 1 week back. One is on my wish list. Good Luck. 1886.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Thank you, rjohns94, I have been blessed by being able to live the dream.

There is sometimes a price, though. My horse kicked me in the leg this morning. Yeah, it left a mark. (There should be a black eye smilie here!)
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

20cows wrote:Thank you, rjohns94, I have been blessed by being able to live the dream.

There is sometimes a price, though. My horse kicked me in the leg this morning. Yeah, it left a mark. (There should be a black eye smilie here!)
Close as I could get on short notice!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Darn.....thats nice....and I want to have fun too!!!!!
Off to the gun show this weekend.....hope i find one!
Happy New Year and have fun blasting!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

20cows,

Your friend has a beautiful rifle. Now I want one. And I want a Mld 1894 rifle like yours too.

But anyway, what I want to know is this. In the third picture by the rock just above the point of the 76's but plate is a tool or something. What is it?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

The short rifle with octagon barrel, is my favourite configuration for the '76.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

But anyway, what I want to know is this. In the third picture by the rock just above the point of the 76's but plate is a tool or something. What is it?

Joe
Joe, my Dad could tell you, but all I know is that it from a farm impliment used on that place somethime in the last 119 years (how long my family has been here). I found it along a fence line.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Joe, I just looked at the Numrich website and that barrel is availible. When I got one nearly twenty years ago it was in .30-30. I had to have it rebored to .38-55 myself. Now they come in .38-55 to start with. :D

Category: Winchester
Model: 94 POST 64
Item #882400 - Barrel, .38-55, Long Range Cowboy Action - 26'', .835'' Acf, Full Octagon $120.70

Just modify one of your existing 94's or find a junker and fix it up. It'll give you something fun to play with.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

That is a fine looking rifle,he must be real proud of it.Sure does seem to shoot real staight. Reckon that 38-55 you built is plumb purty.I am going to have to start collecting parts to build me one some day.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Those are both beauties, nice!
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"