Ugly Front Sight

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Cosmoline
Levergunner 2.0

Ugly Front Sight

Post by Cosmoline »

I just finished doing a rough fitting of a patridge style front express sight for my Win 94 BB. The old ramp sight had been screwed on poorly and was popping off. It was also at a cant. This one looks *perfect* through the aperture and gives a wonderfully clear picture. But I have to admit it kinda looks like hell out front. Even when I spruce it up it's still going to look like hell, I fear. Any ideas on what can be done to make it look less like a surgical slash apart from cleaning it up and rebluing it?

dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Ugly Front Sight

Post by dkmlever »

Cut off the front two inches of the barrel! :P
Looks ok, cold blue it?
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

I picked up a cold blue touchup pen from my local candy store.
You could get one and work over the dovetail to help hide it.
I use mine to touch up small parts.

markings on pen:
Birchwood Casey PRESTO Gun Blue Pen, instant black touch-up for steel
www.birchwoodcasey.com 13201 PSP
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
bcp
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcp »

Looks like a narrow sight width intended for a ramp instead of a wide sight intended for a barrel.

Bruce
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

What I'm sure Bruce is referring to, if that the same height front sight blades are generally available in three different widths of their dovetail bases - not the width of the sight blade itself.

The sights of various heights are usually avalable in a narrow base width (N - .250") for thin ramps like the Williams Shorty & Streamline ramp; a medium base width (M = .340") for most other ramps; and a wide (W= .531") base for direct installation in a wider barrel dovetail.

mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I use a formula called RB Bluing
It invloves heating the ( to be blued ) part mildly with a torch, applying the RB solution, and then wiping with household toilet paper, the toilet paper is made with a chemical that reacts to the solution.
I have not seen it for sale for some years but I still have the original bottle.
Cosmoline
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cosmoline »

I know it's not exactly the proper sight, but it's what I could get at the moment. My primary concern was sight picture and this sucker is a perfect "I" that lines up very naturally in the aperture with no extraneous crudola in the picture from a ramp or hood. Problem is I underestimated how bone ugly it was going to look on the barrel. I wonder if anyone sells a sight of these exact dimensions with the wider base. Maybe Buff. Arms would have it buried somewhere. Most of the wide base rifle sights have beads which I detest. I may just file this under "you can't have everything" and take the bluing pen to it. I undersized the dovetail cut a bit (though I know it doesn't look like it) so if another better sight comes along I can fit it in.
victor
Levergunner 2.0

Post by victor »

check this fella out
http://www.skinnersights.com/
Vic
Winchester Model 94(61').32 Winchester Special
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Cosmoline wrote:Problem is I underestimated how bone ugly it was going to look on the barrel. I wonder if anyone sells a sight of these exact dimensions with the wider base. Maybe Buff. Arms would have it buried somewhere. Most of the wide base rifle sights have beads which I detest.
If the only one you can find with the wider base (which you could blend into the barrel contour more aesthetically) has a bead, you could always remove it and file a new 'face' on the front of the sight.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Here you go:

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_in ... ts_id=7450

A bit of time with a file and it will be shaped to your liking and blended in perfectly. It will fill the slot nicely. Looks great, great sight picture.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I second the skinner sight. I put a brass one on my 356 looks and works great. Dr. Skinner is a pleasure to work with.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hey there Cosmoline - I like post style front sights too. This is a sight I took off a Japanese Browning '86 carbine. It looks and works slick on my 1909 Winchester '92. I've never tried to find one to buy (this one came with a rifle attached!!) but if you like the look enough to go searching, some of the parts houses may have one. It fits a 3/8's inch dovetail. Hope this helps. Watch yer top knot. Wind.

click on the photos to enlarge
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cosmoline
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cosmoline »

That is a nice one! There's a fellow who has a bunch of parts who comes to the annual gunshow in town. I'll check his inventory in a month and see what can be found.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Maybe I'm strange (Okay, I know I am), but I don't see a thing wrong with that sight that a little bit of blueing won't fix. If the sight picture is exactly what you want, I say blue the dovetail and take her shooting! If she works like you think she will, smile and call it a day! :D
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Maybe I'm strange (Okay, I know I am), but I don't see a thing wrong with that sight that a little bit of blueing won't fix. If the sight picture is exactly what you want, I say blue the dovetail and take her shooting! If she works like you think she will, smile and call it a day! :D
Ditto.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Shatterhand »

That sight just needs some blueing to look good. Try to heatblue it with some nitrate and a little propane torch.

Pete
Winchester model 88 .308 WCF
Winchester model 71 .348 WCF
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

It's a dad-gummed '94, fer Petesake... and a Big Bore to boot.

Considerin' the wide hips on that ol' gal, Who's gonna notice an ugly front sight?

Just reblue the scratches & divots & enjoy. The SIGHT PICTURE is more important than the beauty picture anyway...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Cosmoline
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cosmoline »

Considerin' the wide hips on that ol' gal, Who's gonna notice an ugly front sight?
Hey! She's just big boned.
uncowboy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by uncowboy »

Mix up some epoxy and mix in some talcome powder and a dab of black paint. Fill the dovetail around the sight and smooth over .Let dry. If you ever have to remove the sight,The Epoxy will chip away. Get a Large Hood and mount it up. Then take that big boned girl to the Dance. J.Michael
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

WTH did you use? A BENCH GRINDER?
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Maybe I'm strange (Okay, I know I am), but I don't see a thing wrong with that sight that a little bit of blueing won't fix. If the sight picture is exactly what you want, I say blue the dovetail and take her shooting! If she works like you think she will, smile and call it a day! :D
+1 Personally I think a little bluing will go a long way to what you want. The only problem I see, is that after bluing your sight picture may not be what you're after. I think you are pleased with the ability of the "in the white" sight picking up reflective light, and the bluing may interfere with that. But as for craftsmanship, I think it's top notch.

Ed