45-75 Ammo - Info Update from Buffalo Arms

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hobie

45-75 Ammo - Info Update from Buffalo Arms

Post by Hobie »

I just got off the phone with Red at Buffalo Arms. They've got ammo but no Jamison brass and they don't forsee Jamison producing anything but their military contract for at least 6 months. Then it is a wait and see if Jamison goes back to commercial production. Guess we need to hit Starline up again! :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Hobie

Have you tried squishing a 50 Alaskan into the die and trimming? If I didn't already have 1500 rounds of 348, that's what I would do.

Starline would be great but I would be happy if they just made a short (1.9") 50 basic with a thinner (.058"?) rim.

Mike
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Leverluver wrote:Hobie

Have you tried squishing a 50 Alaskan into the die and trimming? If I didn't already have 1500 rounds of 348, that's what I would do.

Starline would be great but I would be happy if they just made a short (1.9") 50 basic with a thinner (.058"?) rim.

Mike
I tried the .50-70 and .50-90 but since I can't find my Imperial sizing lube this was unsuccessful. I felt as though the die would break or I'd flip my little "bench" right over before I got the case base sized. Maybe I should order some .50 AK brass AND Imperial...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

My poor little .45-75 is languishing for lack of brass. I will not sacrifice any .348 brass because the success rate is way too low to continue that process.
Just gotta be patient until Jamison gets back on track.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

What kind of lube are you using? I make 40-90BN out of Starline 45-2.6 and they go through like poop through a goose. 99% success rate. 50 to 45 is no more severe than that.
cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cowboykell »

I have an extra 40 new Bertram 45-75 cases for sale. $2.00 each...shipped.
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Mike D. wrote:My poor little .45-75 is languishing for lack of brass. I will not sacrifice any .348 brass because the success rate is way too low to continue that process.
Just gotta be patient until Jamison gets back on track.
Why such a low success rate? I have been converting 348 brass to 45-75 for years now, and can count the losses on one hand??? What method and tools are you using? :?
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Leverluver wrote:What kind of lube are you using? I make 40-90BN out of Starline 45-2.6 and they go through like poop through a goose. 99% success rate. 50 to 45 is no more severe than that.
It is the case head that is "challenging" to my die... :wink: I'm just using the standard RCBS stuff.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I lack all the required sizing pins to adapt from .348 to 45. After ruining 10 cases I'll not try it again. Besides, I have enough Winchesters to shoot to keep me busy, so waiting for the proper brass won't hurt me.
Asa Smith
Levergunner

Rocky Mountain Catridge Company

Post by Asa Smith »

Has anyone had any experience with Rocky mountain cartridge company ?
They list 45-75, even though the price list on the web site is outdated .
http://www.rockymountaincartridge.com/page4.html
Asa
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Hobie

As I'm sure you have already found out; RCBS "stuff" is stuff for severe forming. Please explain the problem your die is having with the case head. Since the case head diameter of the 45-75 is actually bigger than the head of the 348, I wouldn't even think that the die would contact that part of a 348 case until after they were fireformed.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

In Howell's book, I show the 348 head larger (0.5530") while the rim diameter (0.6100") is smaller than the 45-75 head (0.5464") while the rim is (0.6290"). The rim thickness differs as well with the 45-75 being the thinner of the two.

Ouch. :shock: I can see how that might require some effort to move.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Hmmmm??? Then why in the heck do the darn things swell up when fired in the chambers? :? BTW, I just measured an unfired factory round and a fired case from my 348 AI and both measured .546.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Ah, the Howell measurements are max allowed on the 348 ... not nominal. The 45-75 is from an original Winchester print I believe.

I would think that your actual on the 348 and the Winchester drawing 45-75 are what they should be built to.

I wonder if the same can be said of the rim thickness? Where the 20 thousandths is just the difference between max and nominal. I'll have to go mic some 348 and see where mine are at.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Leverluver wrote:Hobie

As I'm sure you have already found out; RCBS "stuff" is stuff for severe forming. Please explain the problem your die is having with the case head. Since the case head diameter of the 45-75 is actually bigger than the head of the 348, I wouldn't even think that the die would contact that part of a 348 case until after they were fireformed.
The case head of the .50s are bigger than the .45-75! Also, I have Lee dies and some experience at sticking cases.... :lol: I need my Imperial sizing lube and can't find it so I need to order some more. No shop around here stocks it.

PS. Should add that I have zero problems reforming .348 as Tengaokie can attest.

Also, I'm wondering if TenX will start shipping ammo soon. I thought they were the source of the Buffalo Arms ammo. Shoulda asked... :oops:
Sincerely,

Hobie

Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

I don't have any 50s to measure but the only source I have for the 50s does say a head of .565. I don't know how accurate that is but if that is a real measurement, that would be a grunt to size. Could you measure a couple 50-70s to check those figures. Sort of curious and surprising that the 348 whcih is supposed to be based on a necked down 50-110 has that much of a smaller head.

Hobie, if your address is on your blog/website, I'll send you a jar of the sizing wax. I've never used it. I make my own lube for such duties.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Oh, I measured the .59-90s I bought and .50-70s Ranch13 sent me. It is interesting to me also that the .348 is so much smaller in that dimension despite being a derivative of the .50-110.

I sent you an e-mail about the wax.
Sincerely,

Hobie

KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Hobie, someone on this forum suggested a sizing lube made of about 50% caster oil and 50% lanolin. I got both ingredients at the drug store and then used it do size 40 Starline .45-90 cases down to .40-82 cases. Each case took one swing of the lever using a Hornady sizing die for the .40-82. Works like a charm. I even use it to lube my bore after cleaning so that it is already lubed for the first shot out of a clean barrel.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

That was me. :D That's why I'm sending Hobie my sizing wax. I don't need it anymore. BTW Hobie, now I have to go find it but I will get it on the way as soon as I do.

Kirk While you're on the horn, one guy mentioned that screaming Alliant load for the 38-40. Was that you that tested it and thought it was high pressure and slow to boot?