Best 30-30?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Best 30-30?

Post by El Chivo »

I'm not sure if this is a good topic for the members of this forum, but here goes:

What is the best (or your favorite) 30-30 rifle/carbine and why?
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
aussie
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Best 30-30?

Post by aussie »

Winchester 94 model carbine with 20" barrel. Because it's the only one I've got...........sorry fellas, I would like more but just can't afford it at this time.....hellava calibre though. I love it.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Savage 219 because that's the one I'm about to sell. :D
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I like the Marlin 1893, nice long barrel, simple action, balances nice, i can see the sights, shoots well
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Marlin 336.
its simple, acurate & durable. :wink:
uncowboy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by uncowboy »

The one that comes with free ammo! I have several. I don't know why but I have never went to the range with a 30/30 and had a bad day. They are the little train that could in the feild. My friend just loaded 130 GR and made it his truck gun. DEET-Turkey and ground hogs all die equaly well at the 30/30's bark. I have several bullets to chose from in both cast and jacketed so playing with it never gets old. I have shot from 100GR Plinkers to 200GR ram killers from it. When all is said and done THEY ARE ALL JUST FINE WITH ME!
J.Michael :mrgreen:
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

uncowboy wrote:. When all is said and done THEY ARE ALL JUST FINE WITH ME!
J.Michael :mrgreen:

Me too, but i'll give a sentimental nod to Winchester. I also like short barreled carbines, so a 16" pre-safety model with a saddle ring and a big loop would be the ultimate for me . Woukd also like to find one in .307 Win.

I really like the solid feel of the Marlin receiver too though. So in short, if i want something older to re-connect with the past or whatever, i'll reach for the Winnie --- if i want something "modern" i dont have to worry about, i'll go Marlin
----- Doug
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

94 AE, I have the presafety and the tang safety and like them both. But, a Marlin would be fine too. One caveat, I have to like the individual gun.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

My Best 30-30 in a Browning Traditional Hunter single shot. As far as leverguns go, I like my Marlin 336s.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I am shocked - surprised - amazed - speechless - that NO ONE has suggested the Remington Model 788 as The Absolute Best!
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

No reason to get rid of this one I bought new as a boy over 50 + years ago.
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

2 years ago, I bought a winchester 94 flatband with a 1946 barrel date but never shot it. I was broke so I traded it off to my dad. Things were looking up so I bought it back last year. Now, I have about a half dozen Winchester 30-30s in various conditions from many different eras so I never shot it until 2 months ago. I don't have a 30-30 that can shoot better than that one. Later today, I will try and post a photo. I would like to one day have a marlin just to be fair but that will have to wait a bit longer.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

I have Winchester 94s -- pre 64s and post 64s. My favorite is a pre-64 Model 94, 20" carbine -- easy to carry and accurate. Although I don't have any Marlins (in .30-30), I see nothing wrong with them at all.
ED
Yer never too old
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

I only have 2 .30WCF's A 1960 Winchester 94 and a Marlin 30AW. The winny is light and sleek and I'll never sell it but, I shoot the Marlin better and I can clean the bore from the breech (I'm big on that point) it's as tough as a 2 dollar steak and I don't baby it when I take it to the woods like I find myself doing with the Winchester (don't abuse it 'neither) I just got a Skinner peep for it so We'll see how that goes.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Pre-war 94 winchester SRC.
"That'll Be The Day"
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

I have another. A fine model 64 from I think 1952. I lucked into it many years ago, and belive it was never fired! I finaly tried it out last year and it was sweet. I have babyed it as I have my old one pictured above. My dad had one in .32 special. When I was a kid we were hunting and another hunter missed a big buck and blaimed the gun. Dad bought that one for $50 on the spot in the woods! About 20 years ago I went home to find he had traded it for a remington 860! Probley gave boot too! He was pushing 80 and not up on guns anymore.

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I'd have to say my Winnie pre-war. Handy, light weight, a nice piece of Americana.

Sorry about the poor pic.

Old Law Dawg
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

JimT wrote:I am shocked - surprised - amazed - speechless - that NO ONE has suggested the Remington Model 788 as The Absolute Best!
Funny you should mention that Jim. There's a guy here in town that will sell me one for $100.00. It's in great shape and is a good shooter. I just haven't gotten around to getting it from him. One thing that is holding me up is that the Remington 788s are famous for having their bolt handles break off.
ED
Yer never too old
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Tough....

I don't care for the W94 Gut Shucking action, so it would be down to the Savage (lever or pump) or Marlin...

and I'm kind of partial to the Savage 170C ...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I've got an H&R Handi Rifle that is my go to. I've had Winnies and Marlins but I just like the Handi. I can shoot them long pointy bullets in it too. :D :D
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

El Chivo wrote:I'm not sure if this is a good topic for the members of this forum, but here goes:

I've been partial to the Win Mdl 94 for many years. I've owned a bunch of them, shot a bunch more and have grown to understand their foibles. They are simple to use, simple to fix, and even simpler to maintain.
I've no dislike for the Marlin actions, but the only versions I've fired had the pistol gripped stocks and the comb on those is shaped wrong for my face. No matter what I do I get my cheek banged and bruised when I shoot one.
A lot of folks get their knickers in a wad because of the open bottom design of the Win 94s. Personally I like that much better than closed bottoms of the other brands and models of lever guns. The reason for that is very simple. Most of the debris that might fall into the action if the shooter is careless will usually fall out the bottom.
The open bottom also makes cleaning the action very easy without disassembly.

They are slim, very nicely contoured for carrying and light enough to carry all day long. In my opinion one of John Browning's best designs.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Modoc ED wrote:
JimT wrote:I am shocked - surprised - amazed - speechless - that NO ONE has suggested the Remington Model 788 as The Absolute Best!
Funny you should mention that Jim. There's a guy here in town that will sell me one for $100.00. It's in great shape and is a good shooter. I just haven't gotten around to getting it from him. One thing that is holding me up is that the Remington 788s are famous for having their bolt handles break off.
Oh my gosh!! Why are you not looking at it in your hot little hands right now? Bolt handles can be fixed! When was the last time you could get a good rifle for that price? :o
slimster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by slimster »

I could essentially echo Joe Miller's reply on this other than the fact that I did once own a Marlin 336 RC that had a straight grip stock. Nice gun, but I still much prefer the Win. 94. My Vote goes for a Win. 94 Trapper in 30-30!
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

my 1915 circa saddle ring carbine. prettiest 94's ever made. :D
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

El Chivo wrote:I'm not sure if this is a good topic for the members of this forum, but here goes:
It's an excellent topic, full of oppurtunity for discussion, ranting & raving!

Since you used the word "carbine" in your query, I'll limit my response to that style:

Although that is a 16" "Trapper", and I've never shot it at paper to determine just how accurate it is... plinkin' with it seems like having bullets on a string out to 200 yards. And to top it off... it downright "PRETTY"! :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
bbleverfan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by bbleverfan »

i just love the 94ae trappers
rhead
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rhead »

:D My NEF is the most accurate. My 10" Contender is the best carry. Of course my 3 Marlins get used some too. I wish I had not traded off my Winney! It is a great cartridge and they don't make any bad ones. Best is mostly a matter of personnel fit and taste.
The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.
Brian in FL
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Brian in FL »

I have two Winnies, a pre-64 (1954) and a post-64 (1972) and a 336C (1974). I like all of them, but the Marlin is the one I'd prefer to take out hunting. I also have a Savage 340.
eric65
Levergunner 2.0

Post by eric65 »

That was my first centerfire given to me by my dad almost 30 years ago. sold it out of foolish anger and regretted it ever since.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Although that is a 16" "Trapper", and I've never shot it at paper to determine just how accurate it is... plinkin' with it seems like having bullets on a string out to 200 yards.
Then they climb a bit, right Griff? :D
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Griff wrote:
It's an excellent topic, full of oppurtunity for discussion, ranting & raving!

Since you used the word "carbine" in your query, I'll limit my response to that style:

Although that is a 16" "Trapper", and I've never shot it at paper to determine just how accurate it is... plinkin' with it seems like having bullets on a string out to 200 yards. And to top it off... it downright "PRETTY"! :mrgreen:

That is a beautiful stock Griff!
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

J Miller wrote:

I've been partial to the Win Mdl 94 for many years. I've owned a bunch of them, shot a bunch more and have grown to understand their foibles. They are simple to use, simple to fix, and even simpler to maintain.
I've no dislike for the Marlin actions, but the only versions I've fired had the pistol gripped stocks and the comb on those is shaped wrong for my face. No matter what I do I get my cheek banged and bruised when I shoot one.
A lot of folks get their knickers in a wad because of the open bottom design of the Win 94s. Personally I like that much better than closed bottoms of the other brands and models of lever guns. The reason for that is very simple. Most of the debris that might fall into the action if the shooter is careless will usually fall out the bottom.
The open bottom also makes cleaning the action very easy without disassembly.

They are slim, very nicely contoured for carrying and light enough to carry all day long. In my opinion one of John Browning's best designs.

Joe

not much to add,owned some marlins, never clicked.
have a number of 94's, like em allot.
favorite? wow, that is tough.
probly this one for now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Like the Win 94 or Marlin 336. Both look great,are rugged and have been around it seems forever!
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Any Winchester levergun. I hate Marlins pooping their innards in my face when I work the lever.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I have owned a lot of 30/30's and still own 3 pre-64 Winchesters, one straight gripped Marlin, and a couple of post 64 Winchesters.

My favorite is a Pre-64 winchester, 20 inch barrel, because I think they handle the best, and I like the ones with longer forearm wood, because I just think they look better.

I probably prefer a post war model, although I love the pre-war models, but for shooting I like the post war models because the rear sight is positioned a little farther foward on the barrel and seems to give me the best sight picture. I also prefer the pre-64's because they have better sights then post 64's with have junk sights compared to the pre-64's. And I prefer the stock open sights on the pre-64's to even a receiver sight, because for some reason I can see it well with my eyes.
NRA Life Member, Patron
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

In my miss spent youth my father convinced me to avoid the model 94 because he had one which chewed up brass,kicked and so on.I thought they were clunky and I had to have a bolt action ended up with a No5mk1 enfield.Decades later my closet seems to have bred a few 94's-who knew! Now if I could afford/find a 38-55..........
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

My favorite .30-30 is my model 71.

Yeah, I know. But that's how I answer any and all favorite (fill in the blank) questions!
Favorite knife: model 71
Favorite car: model 71
Favorie beer: whatever you buy me

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

It was truly a shame when the production of Model 94 Winchesters was halted by non-caring, un-informed, non-gun loving, scallywags. They took the easy way out and stopped-the-presses -- so to speak.
ED
Yer never too old
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Modoc ED wrote:It was truly a shame when the production of Model 94 Winchesters was halted by non-caring, un-informed, non-gun loving, scallywags. They took the easy way out and stopped-the-presses -- so to speak.
**** the unions!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Old Savage wrote:
Although that is a 16" "Trapper", and I've never shot it at paper to determine just how accurate it is... plinkin' with it seems like having bullets on a string out to 200 yards.
I'm not Griff, but my 94TE Trapper 30-30 doesn't recoil or climb much more than the regular 20" carbine. However it's bark is definitely more vicious. Not only that if you shoot it at night you need sun glasses.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I found a presafety 336 straight grip with an 18" barrel born in 1980. Very nice. 1886.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

J Miller wrote:
Old Savage wrote:
I'm not Griff, but my 94TE Trapper 30-30 doesn't recoil or climb much more than the regular 20" carbine. However it's bark is definitely more vicious. Not only that if you shoot it at night you need sun glasses.

Joe

MY stepkid's pretty scrawny, so I'm reluctant to have him shoot my trapper.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Modoc ED wrote:It was truly a shame when the production of Model 94 Winchesters was halted by non-caring, un-informed, non-gun loving, scallywags. They took the easy way out and stopped-the-presses -- so to speak.
that's when I bought my first 30-30, the Saturday after they made the announcement.

I'm all in favor of them making their own business decisions, if they weren't selling, but I knew I was going to want one.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Travis Morgan wrote:
J Miller wrote:
Old Savage wrote:

Joe

MY stepkid's pretty scrawny, so I'm reluctant to have him shoot my trapper.
My wife doesn't have any trouble with Win 94s in 30-30, Trapper or Carbine. There's not that much recoil difference between them. Don't be overly concerned about it.

Joe
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Leverdude wrote:Marlin 336.
its simple, acurate & durable. :wink:
+1

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[What is the best 30-30 rifle/carbine and why?]

Any one that you actually own/use, and not jes speculate 'bout.

OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Pete44ru wrote:[What is the best 30-30 rifle/carbine and why?]

Yep - this is my favorite - in 1968 this Buffalo Bill Commemorative was produced and shipped out in pairs with consecutive serial numbers - rifle with 26" barrel and carbine with 20" barrel. The dealer and I were good friends and he sold it to me in 1968 - I guess the carbine owner didn't want the rifle and the dealer made his profit on the carbine -

He was a good friend - he charged me $90.00 for it !! He was the same dealer that sold me a used (but factory new condition) Colt Python 357 magnum - 6" barrel - for $99.00. Sorry he isn't around any more - the time came when he failed to pass the wake-up test - fortunately, at an advanced age.

:!: :mrgreen:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

I want to say my Model 64 Carbine 20" barrel, but it is a 32 special, so I have to say my Model 64A Winchester. I love it, and it usually is my "Go To" gun in November. It is the most beat up rifle I own, but I will never part with it. The 24" barrel is long for what I use it for, but it is still very quick, and a tack driver. Would love another one just like it.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

OJ wrote:
Pete44ru wrote:[What is the best 30-30 rifle/carbine and why?]

Yep - this is my favorite - in 1968 this Buffalo Bill Commemorative was produced and shipped out in pairs with consecutive serial numbers - rifle with 26" barrel and carbine with 20" barrel. The dealer and I were good friends and he sold it to me in 1968 - I guess the carbine owner didn't want the rifle and the dealer made his profit on the carbine -

He was a good friend - he charged me $90.00 for it !! He was the same dealer that sold me a used (but factory new condition) Colt Python 357 magnum - 6" barrel - for $99.00. Sorry he isn't around any more - the time came when he failed to pass the wake-up test - fortunately, at an advanced age.

:!: :mrgreen:

Where could I go to get all the parts for one of these? I already have the barrel, receiver, and lever. I always run into a wall when I try to order because I guess the parts are different from 94 to 94.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

The 30-30 is just "good" no matter how you slice it. My all time favorite is the Marlin 336 with a straight grip and the 18.5" barrel. There is something about that configuration that makes it seem a lot shorter and more compact than a 20" pistol grip model even though it really isn't. The gun in my avatar is my main gun. It shoots well and carries easy.
I love them all and killed my first deer with a Winchester 94 carbine. I have a 16" barrel Marlin Marauder I have yet to kill anything with that is very accurate and super handy. I hope to get it out there this year.
There is something about that scouted 18.5 incher that makes a great gun though. Kind of like a tree dog that's a natural.

3 shots kneeling at 100 yds
Last edited by Dave on Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.