Do cast bullets vary in dies?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Do cast bullets vary in dies?

Post by JohndeFresno »

I read a recent post asking about a .32-20 bullet in a particular mold and what it produces, AFTER being run through a sizer. I have read other posts about a particular Lee mold that casts a perfect .30-30 bullet of a certain size that works perfectly for the Marlin 336.

Yet, I keep reading that a particular mold works well when somebody sizes it to one diameter or the other. So the simple question:

Given that MOLDS are produced at a uniform size from the factory, do their cast bullets change in size after cooling, depending on rate and type of cooling and/or what they are composed of?

It seems to me that, after somebody knows what true diameter their firearm is, they would just want to order a specific size MOLD (edited - orig. said "die" - JdeF), and then use Lee Liquid Alox instead of other lubes, to save the extra expense, time and equipment employed with a sizer or sizer die.

Sorry for the stupid question (if it is). I am seriously considering going into casting this next year, but the only casting I have ever done was with a rod and reel.
Last edited by JohndeFresno on Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Do cast bullets vary in dies?

Post by TedH »

There are a lot of variables that will affect the size a cast bullet drops from the mold. The type of alloy being used, and the temp of the mold and alloy at time of casting are major ones.

If you are serious about getting started casting, you should get a copy of the Lyman and/or the RCBS cast bullet manuals. Lots of good info in both.
NRA Life Member
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Hey John DeFresno,

Do you mean, do the bullet cavities in the mold vary in size? Just to clarify your question as you might get better answers from our casting gurus. :wink: I started bullet casting but it did not go well with 2 small boys crawling all over the place, so I buy cast for my Winchesters.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

JohndeFresno wrote:Given that dies are produced at a uniform size from the factory, do their cast bullets change in size after cooling, depending on rate and type of cooling and/or what they are composed of?
1st, that "uniform size" from the factory is a misnomer. As with any machining or manufacturing process, there are variances in tooling, bits and the wear that has occurred since the equipment was new. And, just as with the lead alloy bullets, steel changes size after heating and cooling, even expanding with the ambient tempature.
JohndeFresno wrote:It seems to me that, after somebody knows what true diameter their firearm is, they would just want to order a specific size die, and then use Lee Liquid Alox instead of other lubes, to save the extra expense, time and equipment employed with a sizer or sizer die.
Given the above, it's just not possible to be ABSOLUTELY certain any die ordered will drop the size boolit you need. Even foregoing any changes wrought by the differences in alloy shrinkage when cooling.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

TedH wrote:There are a lot of variables that will affect the size a cast bullet drops from the mold. The type of alloy being used, and the temp of the mold and alloy at time of casting are major ones.

If you are serious about getting started casting, you should get a copy of the Lyman and/or the RCBS cast bullet manuals. Lots of good info in both.
I agree ALL the above
Image..Image
Image......Image
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

John the mold cavities aren't always just the same dimensions, just as anything else isn't. Not only do you need to take into consideration what drops from the mold when cast from a certain alloy, cast bullets are like jacketed , in as much as one rifle might like a certain combinationt somebody elses might refuse to shoot anything tighter than an improoved cylinder pattern with it.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Doesn't one get a bigger diameter the hotter you go with the lead? I'm sure the bullet alloy make up figures into this, but as I understand it, this is how one casts slightly larger bullets than mould diameter?
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

cast big, size to your gun
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

If you want to learn bullet casting get this book . It will answer all your question and make you a good caster . It is out print and cost about $50 but it well worth it .

Image..Image
Image......Image
Levergunner 2.0

Post by .45 »

Join the Cast Bullet Assc. or just check out their forum. http://www.castbulletassoc.org/join2.shtml
If those guys don't have a answer for your ?'s, there is no answer!
Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens... and the unforeseeable that which your life becomes.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Generally speaking, pure lead will cast smaller than any lead alloy and the harder the alloy, the larger the as-cast diameter from a given mold. For me this is counter-intuitive but its true.

Mold cavities vary in size even between two cavities in the same mold. Usually not by much though.

Using unsized bullets is certainly acceptable so long as the bullets drop with a proper diameter and uniform circumfrence. They can be hand-lubed with stick lube or given a couple of coats of liquid alox with good results. The key though is fitting the gun's bore (being .001 or .002" over bore diameter).

Lee has a line of handgun bullet molds designed to be tumble lubed with their liquid alox and not sized.

I agree that the books are a good idea - read up on the process and go from there.

It is all rather experimental in nature - which is part of the allure.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

All my target rifle bullets are shot as cast and NEVER sized . I pan lube 90% of my bullets . I make most of my target molds . Here is a sample below . I buy my pistol mold and size and lube no more then .001 if possible . There is NO 1 set rule , each gun , bullet , mold , alloy , and lube are all difference . Making it work is the fun like reloading with all the trial and error . I make my own lube also .

Image..Image
Image......Image
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Bullet diameters vary with alloy (lead--smallest, linotype--largest)and diameters will change over the first couple of day. Understand that they will get a little larger. Higher temps should produce a smaller bullet. For beginners, try the Lee liquid alox, maybe thinned with a little minerals spirits, and a Lee push thru sizer, to see if you like it. Check out Castboolits.gunloads.com. Lots of info there. Ask and you will be deluged with so much info, it will make your head hurt. :shock:

there and here are my two favorite sites
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Cast bullet shooting is great fun. Makes you a handloader+++ and not just a component assembler and shooter.
Jump in with both feet. The water is warm!!

All of the info above is good but one must sort out the bits that pretain (sp?) to what you want to do. Have fun!
:D :D :D

There is no set rule as to what size bullet your rifle will like . Generally bullets 1-3 thou. over groove size are fine but if you try them all you will find the size your rifle shines with. The Lee push through dies are cheep so thats a good way to find out.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Thank y'all.

Excellent answers, even though I messed up and used dies/molds interchangeably in my original posting; I see that you understood what I was asking. And you answered my questions thoroughly.

I will make good use of the advice given here, including using the proper manuals and visiting the Cast Bullet site (again). That site does have a lot of info, but I needed a basic understanding of some of the elemental precepts, and didn't know where to start. As always, you folks at this site have come through again.

Best wishes to each of you - thanks for your terrific input.
Last edited by JohndeFresno on Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

JohndeFresno wrote:Thank y'all.
Excellent answers, even though I messed up and used dies/molds interchangeably in my original posting; I see that you understood what I was asking. And you answered my questions thoroughly.
I make good use of the advice given here, including using the proper manuals and visiting the Cast Bullet site (again). That site does have a lot of info, but I needed a basic understanding of some of the elemental precepts, and didn't know where to start. As always, you folks at this site have come through again.
Best wishes to each of you - thanks for your terrific input.
Another good reference book is Lyman's "Cast Bullet Handbook".
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Thanks, Griff.
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

mescalero1 wrote:cast big, size to your gun
Cast big, let your gun size its own.