Texas Ranger Museum..??

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
greasy dan
Levergunner 2.0

Texas Ranger Museum..??

Post by greasy dan »

I am heading out to visit the Texas Ranger Museum tomorrow. Anything I should look for, or be particularly interested in..??
Will be thinking of you'all while I am there. :D

greasy dan
John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, Henry Fonda and Winchesters. I'm a kid again.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Texas Ranger Museum..??

Post by rangerider7 »

It's all good. They have quite a bit out on loan or temporarily not displayed last I was there but still worth the price.
"That'll Be The Day"
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

Take your time and read all the printed data. Look for the display of the piece presented to the citizen that used his deer rifle to end an assault on a Texas Peace Officer. When ya'll are finished cruise south on I35 and eat a big ole CF Steak at the Elite Cafe/Diner. Then check out the Dr. Pepper museum. Have fun...

jumbeaux
trapper45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by trapper45 »

Never saw so many Tommy guns in one place. Fascinating museum.
greasy dan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by greasy dan »

Visiting my daughter at Baylor... we ate dinner at George's a little bit ago. http://www.georgesrestaurant.com/ Lots of cars and locals, we figured it was a good place. We will try the Elite Cafe for lunch or dinner after we visit the Tx Ranger Museum. Thanks for the arrowhead in the right direction.
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

Dan....George's has the best breakfast in Waco.....I always eat there when I'm in Waco....have fun...

jumbeaux
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

When I have been there it's almost overload. There are so many cool guns!

Lots of Bar B Q guns, too.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

If you like seafood Buzzard Billy's is good, across the interstate from the Texas Ranger Museum. George's has great food and beverage. The "Big O" is cold too. The way it got its name is kind of different. In the old days when Baylor students would go to Georges and want to order a beer they were afraid it would get back to the Baptist founded university leaders so the previous owner told them to just order a "Big Orange" and he would know they wanted a beer and it stuck. Now the billboards say "George's Big O Deck". Beer on the Deck. :lol:
"That'll Be The Day"
TX50Cal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX50Cal »

Went there a couple of years ago and what I saw that was really cool was either a Marlin or Winchester lever with Ivory stock and forarm. That was kinda neat.
Dave in TX
MA1 USN (Retired)
Freedom is never really free, payments come due in every generation.
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

I stopped by there back in '97, thought "maybe they'll have some neat guns..."

As I was walking around, I overheard a soccer mom type say disappointedly, "it's nothing but guns" - and I was thinking "it's more wonderful than I ever would've imagined". :D
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I just finished a very interesting book on the Texas rangers:LONE STAR JUSTICE, The First Century of THE TEXAS RANGERS, by Robert M. Utley.

There's a LOT of details in it !

It's good enough to share - so I'm gonna make a separate post for a free drawing for it.

greasy dan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by greasy dan »

We visited the Texas Ranger Museum today… spent a couple hours there… could have spent an entire day, if I were to read everything. Wow. Lots of different exhibits from differing time periods. I did not take any pictures, but cameras are allowed. Besides lots of pictures of current and by-gone Rangers… lots of paintings… clothing and gear, here is what I can remember.
There were a lot of 1894 Winchesters in various calibers, but 30-30 being the most common. There were quite a few each of 1876, and 1866 Models mostly in 44-cal, and a few original Henrys in 44 rimfire. There were a few 1886 originals there in different configurations. I only saw one 1892 rifle made in 1904 (my personal favorite) in 44-40 complete with a box of Winchester shells. There were 5 or 6 of the 1905 Winchesters, and maybe 4 of the Lever-action Shotguns in different displays. I have no idea how many original Model P Colts there were… lots. There were also quite a few cap-n-ball revolvers in nearly every configuration and barrel length. Lots of flint and percussion long rifles, a few Bowie knives… at least a half-dozen Thompson machine guns, two with the folding carry-cases and drum and stick magazines. I have no idea just how many 1911 Colts there were… a bunch… all in 45 cal. Also, quite a few S&W revolvers, and I think two top-break revolvers in 44-Russian. Quite a few confiscated pieces, such as sawed-off shotguns. I had heard the term “hand-held cannon” but had never as much as seen a picture of one, until today. It looks like one would imagine… a small cannon with a butt-stock in nearly pristine condition. There were also a couple pieces from the 15-16th Century. I did not see any Levergun with an Ivory stock & forearm, but lots of originals in both Rifle and Carbine. They had a few rooms closed off, not sure why.
My daughter went with me. Even she was impressed.
The building and grounds are a monument to Texas Rangers, both present and past. I felt humbled as I strolled through, and grateful for all their service to the USA and the great state of Texas. All Texans should be proud of them.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Yep, its very cool. I've been several times.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
greasy dan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by greasy dan »

to jumbeaux...
If not on your suggestion, I would not have stopped at the Elite Circle Cafe. I entered the place, not expecting the best... after reading all the comments on the Net. Most rated it lower than George's. I was pleasantly surprised with the food and the service. My oldest daughter would really like the Art Deco style of the interior. There was much more room than George's... the food was great... and the service very prompt and courteous. We came out for about the same price as George's also. I would rate them a tie. Each caters to a unique clientelle, and both were suprisingly good.
Thanks for the mention. I will stop at both places again, next visit.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions while visiting Waco... and I didn't see Janet Reno's picture anywhere.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I worked at the store on Franklin Ave. today in Waco. If you like Mexican food, Rosa's is very good when in Waco.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Another great Museum is down the road a piece, in Austin.
The Texas State Museum. If you go, plan on most of the day.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
greasy dan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by greasy dan »

Thanks for the pointer, Lefty Dude. I am badk in no-car right now, but I would like to visit Austin sometime. Matter-of-fact, I would like to make a month-long tour of Texas sometime, ifin I could talk the little lady into it. Like to visit the SW area, near the Rio. Maybe visit all those places made famous back in the late 1800s.

Thanks for the pointers from each of you. Enjoyed the great state of Texas... my 1st visit, but not my last. Now, I have something else to do before they throw dirt in my face.

greasy dan
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

The Ranger Museum is a great place and I stop there frequently. They have a great library and research room. The first time I was there, the attendant wanted to know what I was researching. I told here I have a GGFather who was a Ranger before the Civil War and gave her his name. In just a minute or two she handed me a card with contained the dates of his enlistments and discharges, the Captain and company, plus all of the references in their library to him. Wow..that was mind blowing.

No matter how many times you have been there, it is always a treat. Next to it is a very old cemetary which is also interesting.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Heading to Tejas next Month. My oldest Son, Daughter-in-Law and two Grand Daughter's live in Flower Mound (close to Ft Worth). Will be banging around in the Dallas-Ft Worth area.
If I did not live in Arizona it would be Tejas. We love the State.
I worked in Tejas in the 1990's off & on, for several years. You could live there your whole Life and never see it all.

Another neat visit in Dallas is the Bronze Long-Horn Cattle herd and Cowboys. All are full size, must be a dozen LH's and a couple of drovers.
The location is close by the Downtown Convention Center.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Lefty Dude wrote:Heading to Tejas next Month. My oldest Son, Daughter-in-Law and two Grand Daughter's live in Flower Mound (close to Ft Worth). Will be banging around in the Dallas-Ft Worth area.
If I did not live in Arizona it would be Tejas. We love the State.
I worked in Tejas in the 1990's off & on, for several years. You could live there your whole Life and never see it all.

Another neat visit in Dallas is the Bronze Long-Horn Cattle herd and Cowboys. All are full size, must be a dozen LH's and a couple of drovers.
The location is close by the Downtown Convention Center.
Hope you're planning on coming out to our shoot... 2nd full weekend each month... :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!